Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Increasing power with out turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 11:07 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing power with out turbo

I have sc300 95 and i want to increase power but with turbo. What is the best way to go. Apexi S-AFC Neo would that increase power i am not looking for huge gains small less than 50 hp. If turbo is only option to get power are those turbo kits sold on ebay any good
Old 04-26-08, 11:16 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake/Header/Exhaust.

SAFC wont do a whole lot. Rom tune after the i/h/e perhaps to smooth things out.

The Ebay turbo kits are generally not so great. You get what you pay for. If you really want to chase power prepare to spend some cash.
Old 04-26-08, 12:43 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tritron
I have sc300 95 and i want to increase power but with turbo. What is the best way to go. Apexi S-AFC Neo would that increase power i am not looking for huge gains small less than 50 hp. If turbo is only option to get power are those turbo kits sold on ebay any good

I would imagine a 2jzge could handle a pretty good shot of nitrous!

as strong as the blocks i wouldnt' be suprised if it could take a 100 to 150 shot all day, ge blocks seem to be dirt cheap too so it's not like you couldn't find replacements if you got carried away.
Old 04-26-08, 12:47 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aka paco
I would imagine a 2jzge could handle a pretty good shot of nitrous!

as strong as the blocks i wouldnt' be suprised if it could take a 100 to 150 shot all day, ge blocks seem to be dirt cheap too so it's not like you couldn't find replacements if you got carried away.

the fuel system would fall short with that much spray...wouldnt it?
Old 04-26-08, 12:56 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

Is this OBX SS EXHAUST HEADER SYSTEM any good I saw it on ebay. Would
SAFC give any gain in horse power with bigger fuel injectors
Old 04-26-08, 02:31 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
the fuel system would fall short with that much spray...wouldnt it?
Wet kit would work. You can get away with a 50 shot easily, which is probably the best bang for the buck if you're going N/A. I'm not totally sure though. as I've never modded the N/A before. Perhaps a few of the N/A guys can chime in their thoughts...
Old 04-26-08, 02:38 PM
nolexhere
Driver

I can't say I have experience with that header but I have had experience with the company. Many people I know have bought products from them and they all had the same problems such as poor fit and bad quality. I doubt they put in any r&d at all to make the header actually help improve performance. I'm not saying it won't add power because it may but if it does that is only by accident lol. Larger injectors aren't needed until you make more power. If you are going with n/a bolt ons I don't think you will need them anytime soon. Safc is not needed either in my opinion. A tune will help but only after you change some parts out. What kind of budget do you have if you don't mind me asking? If you want bigger power later on you are best off saving now.
Old 04-26-08, 08:00 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8
Intake/Header/Exhaust.

SAFC wont do a whole lot. Rom tune after the i/h/e perhaps to smooth things out.

The Ebay turbo kits are generally not so great. You get what you pay for. If you really want to chase power prepare to spend some cash.
More misinformation with no proof.

Glad the OP wants less than 50hp... because without nitrous, it won't happen.
Old 04-26-08, 08:48 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

I don't see a point of having turbo in my car. I am looking at buying is300 header I saw one ceramic for 90 shipped. I like the idea of copying 250 exhaust system. What gains I can expect from geting new exhaust and new header. Is there are any point of upgreating engine managment ecu for 300
Old 04-26-08, 11:51 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Besides stroking out the motor, I/H/E is about the best you can get for N/A. I currently have all that, plus working on installing lightened pulleys and flywheel. There is only so much you can do to the engine. What is 50 HP going to get you anyways? That is such a tiny goal, why are you looking for it?
Old 04-27-08, 03:47 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

I think that lightening the car, especially unsprung weight should be taken into consideration along with engine performance parts.
Old 04-27-08, 09:22 AM
blackops
Rookie

All these mods listed still won't get the car over 200whp. It's all a waste of money.

These cars are ment to have turbos. Save your $$$

PS:
It's a lexus. Do not remove anything for weight reduction. The only people that should gut a car is the sport compact crowd that can only make 150hp. We on the otherhand can run 9's with 1000whp with the A/C on with two people in the back seat.
Old 04-27-08, 09:36 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

I've run a good size shot in my car for a long time with no issues.

Ian
Old 04-27-08, 01:14 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tritron
I don't see a point of having turbo in my car. I am looking at buying is300 header I saw one ceramic for 90 shipped. I like the idea of copying 250 exhaust system. What gains I can expect from geting new exhaust and new header. Is there are any point of upgreating engine managment ecu for 300
You don't see a point of having a turbo on your car but you're prepared to dish out cash for parts that will hardly do anything? Even with a tiny turbo and almost no mods, you'll still make more power than you EVER would going the NA route; and you'll have a much fatter powerband besides.

An ECU upgrade isn't going to do squat for you. You might get about 15-20whp with IHE and tuning.

This question seemingly gets asked like clockwork.
Old 04-27-08, 01:55 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
You don't see a point of having a turbo on your car but you're prepared to dish out cash for parts that will hardly do anything? Even with a tiny turbo and almost no mods, you'll still make more power than you EVER would going the NA route; and you'll have a much fatter powerband besides.

An ECU upgrade isn't going to do squat for you. You might get about 15-20whp with IHE and tuning.

This question seemingly gets asked like clockwork.

By the time cost of those parts add up you could do a budget na-t kit on stock boost and be happy with 7psi.

Quick Reply: Increasing power with out turbo