Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP! Battery or alternator bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 01:11 PM
J-STAR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Battery or alternator bad?

When I jump the battery it starts on a dime and it runs. It stays on but as soon as I kill the engine and try to start it again its completely dead. When I lock the doors I see the security light dimming and dimming and...not lit anymore. Someone know what the problem is so it can save me some time going back and forth testing and jacking and bolting and unbolting. Thanks.
Old 08-14-09, 02:32 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like ur battery but if you got a lot of oil dripping on your alt. then you might want to raplace that too.
Old 08-14-09, 02:58 PM
J-STAR
Rookie

How would the oil be dripping on to the alternator?.....I hope its the battery. The 2jz-ge alternator is the same as the gte correct?
Old 08-14-09, 03:09 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Sounds like battery
Jump it take it to auto zone. Have them test it (Doesn't hurt since its free) if it is the battery buy one there and they will install for free too
Old 08-17-09, 08:50 AM
J-STAR
Rookie

[QUOTE=nfordhk;4765982]Sounds like battery
Jump it take it to auto zone. Have them test it (Doesn't hurt since its free) if it is the battery buy one there and they will install for free too[/QUOTE

I got my battery tested and it read 1 volt. So I purchased an new one and installed it. Everything worked out fine until I tried to start it this morning. Its competely dead, No light or anything. So now I have to turn my attention to the alternator? Correct? Could there possibly be a short? Well It is a Jdm alternator so I guess I will try to replace that one. Should be the same as Usdm Im thinking.
Old 08-17-09, 11:38 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=J-STAR;4772181]
Originally Posted by nfordhk
Sounds like battery
Jump it take it to auto zone. Have them test it (Doesn't hurt since its free) if it is the battery buy one there and they will install for free too[/QUOTE

I got my battery tested and it read 1 volt. So I purchased an new one and installed it. Everything worked out fine until I tried to start it this morning. Its competely dead, No light or anything. So now I have to turn my attention to the alternator? Correct? Could there possibly be a short? Well It is a Jdm alternator so I guess I will try to replace that one. Should be the same as Usdm Im thinking.
I am having the same issue. I have one of the dry cell battery's though.
Old 08-20-09, 12:55 PM
J-STAR
Rookie

I was told that the alternator has nothing to do with the problem. When I jump the car it stays on. If the alternator was bad then the car would die right?
Old 08-20-09, 08:40 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

So its completely dead. Check to make sure your terminals are tighten and there is no corrosion I found using coke eats it right away and it wont hurt anything.

Also check to make sure you dont have any drainage. I had this problem for 2 weeks I had got into a car accident and my right door wouldnt shut all the way leaving the door light on and every 3 days my battery would be drained. It puzzled me for weeks until one day I took it to auto zone had the drainage test done they said yep somesthing on. And we spent the next 30 mins looking at different things and we finally saw the little light was on hahaha.

Also if you suspect your alternators back to auto zone! haha.
Old 08-21-09, 02:07 PM
J-STAR
Rookie

Yeah. Im going to have to try that, Thanks.
Old 08-24-09, 04:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

[QUOTE=J-STAR;4772181]
Originally Posted by nfordhk
Sounds like battery

I just had the same exact issue. Got a Duralast Gold last week and today it was completely dead. Got it jumped after zapping my finger pretty bad from the two cables accidently touching while I was holding it, it is still sore and it started fine. Took it back to autozone and they immediately wanted to test the alternator. When I tried to start it, it would not crank and while the guy was trying to test it he noticed the black battery terminal was loose and had to tighten some bolts up and remove some plastic. After he tightened it, it started right up. Unfortunately when he checked my alternator it only read 30 which it should be around 90-100(it can never be just as simple as tightening the terminals). They priced one at around $200 if I gave them my old one but I wanted to get it tested somewhere else just to make sure and either try to get it rebuilt for less, find one at a junkyard, or get that alternator rebuild kit and attempt to do it myself.

Long story short make sure the battery terminals are tight and the connection is good and there is no corrosion/sulfur stopping it from properly starting as that was my issue. Also check your alternator even if that was the issue. I should have installed the battery myself instead of getting the kid to do it.