Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heavy Tranny Clunk When Shifting @ Standstill

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 10:51 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Heavy Tranny Clunk When Shifting @ Standstill

For a long while now I've been getting an unusually loud and heavy clunk when shifting between drive, reverse and neutral (shifts while driving are fine) - but only when the tranny is cold. After driving a few miles, it'll go through the gears fine. My problem is at standstill only.

I just did a tranny fluid change (just 4 quarts - not a full drain and refill) but I'm still getting the abrupt shifts. It was suggested that it might be a tranny fluid vescosity issue - meaning that if I do a complete drain and refill that the problem would be solved. I'm not so sure I buy that, because with 50% of the fluid changed I should be able to feel some difference.

BTW, the tranny pan was pretty darn clean. First time I've changed the fluid in the five years I've had the car ('93) and there was just a tiny amount of metallic dust on the magnets. No particles or fragments whatsoever.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-27-09, 02:40 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Got me on this one. I sure would like to know.

The mounts are all good?
Old 07-27-09, 07:54 PM
bodydrager
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a similar sound but I know its just my lower control arm bushing.
Old 07-28-09, 04:15 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Got me on this one. I sure would like to know.

The mounts are all good?
Just changed my tranny mount a year ago. So that can't be it.

Haven't hit the engine mounts yet, but I seriously doubt those are the culprit anyway.

I had my brother cycle through the gears with me standing at the engine bay and from there all seams normal. The "clunks" are only audible from within the cabin. You can really feel the car lurch as each gear engages.

So nobody's had this happen before?

I'll be changing the diff fluid soon. Hopefully that fixes it.
Old 07-28-09, 06:59 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The drain and fill on my 93 sc300 should be about 2 quarts. Not sure if its the same on the sc400, but maybe something to consider. Since it was happening before the fluid change, this may not be the case.

What type or atf did you use?
Old 07-28-09, 07:24 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

holy freakin cow . im havin the same problem. i put it up on a lift last wek to check all my mouts and they are a ++ . i had my tranny replaced a yr ago and its been doing it since they put it in. iv never ahd any problems out if beside that clunk it does it only when cold after it warms up it stops. it really feels like a mount . when u figure this out please tell me i been wantin to knwo for a yr wat it is
Old 07-29-09, 04:49 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheMole
The drain and fill on my 93 sc300 should be about 2 quarts. Not sure if its the same on the sc400, but maybe something to consider. Since it was happening before the fluid change, this may not be the case.
Well, actually only about 3.25 quarts drained, but it took 4 to fill level. So essentially I was running about .75 quarts low.

Originally Posted by TheMole
What type or atf did you use?
I used the recommended Toyota Type-IV ATF.

And as you pointed out, it was happening prior to the fluid change. Maybe it was caused by the low fluid level. But assuming no damage was done (I found only very minor metal dust on the magnets), I'd think that topping off ATF would fix the issue.