Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

found hose disconnected and capped PICS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 04:00 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found hose disconnected and capped PICS

so today I looked under my hood and i noticed that there was a hose disconnect and it was capped with a screw on each opening. i guess this was done by the previous owner. can anyone tell me which hose this is and if it's needed? btw i have a 93 sc400

you see the screw. that's where the hose supposed to connect to i guess.

and i also found this unbolted. i think it's called a plastic wire cover?
does anyone know if it has to be installed because the bold/nut was lost.

s/c59/grindin8o8/IMG_0334.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-21-09, 08:33 AM
AyDee
Driver

This hose connects to the screwed opening - this I am sure about

What does this hose do? I have no clue - You have any CEL codes?
Old 07-21-09, 02:25 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AyDee
This hose connects to the screwed opening - this I am sure about

What does this hose do? I have no clue - You have any CEL codes?

didn't check for codes yet. any one knows what that hose is? and what it's for?
Old 07-21-09, 03:06 PM
AyDee
Driver

Aren't you the same guy with the CEL before the car warms up? if it is you then you are looking at your problem right now -- take the screw out and stick the hose back in its place reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative pole of the battery for 10 seconds and you're good
Old 07-23-09, 06:39 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

The small hose goes the variable assist steering. Follow the hose and it should lead up to a valve on the power steering pump. That should NOT set off any check engine lights. If that valve leaks it will get sucked into the intake system. It will burn blue smoke and make it look like your burning oil. Disconnect the intake tube in the pic and follow the hose it should meet up to the valve I am talking about. Once plugged in you might notice a steering change if it works correctly.
Old 07-23-09, 06:48 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The black plastic grate is mostly just for looks, took both of mine off.
Old 07-23-09, 11:18 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AyDee
Aren't you the same guy with the CEL before the car warms up? if it is you then you are looking at your problem right now -- take the screw out and stick the hose back in its place reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative pole of the battery for 10 seconds and you're good
the hose can't go back in becaue the piece where the hose end connects to is broken. i guess i need to buy a new intake hose??? do you guys know if i can leave it like that?
Old 07-23-09, 11:30 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
The small hose goes the variable assist steering. Follow the hose and it should lead up to a valve on the power steering pump. That should NOT set off any check engine lights. If that valve leaks it will get sucked into the intake system. It will burn blue smoke and make it look like your burning oil. Disconnect the intake tube in the pic and follow the hose it should meet up to the valve I am talking about. Once plugged in you might notice a steering change if it works correctly.

okay so the hose with the screw inside it. i follow the hose down and it will lead to a valve on the power steering pump? what would cause the valve to leak? the hose that i have disconnected? maybe this is why i have loose steering. and about the oil smell, i have a very strong fuel smell/stink smell and i dont know where it's coming from. also when i decelerate i hear i rattling/shaking noise kinda right under the driver side. might be an exhaust leak? or loose/cracked bracket? i kinda confused with what you trying to say so pm if you can help me out and explain a little better.
Old 07-24-09, 12:44 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

diaphragm in the valve goes. causing your car to suck in fluid from the power steering system (ATF). so whenever you start up it smokes, i assume the prev owner took em off and capped em, and never removed the valve off of the high pressure line. its a pretty easy job.
Old 07-24-09, 01:50 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tularisgp
diaphragm in the valve goes. causing your car to suck in fluid from the power steering system (ATF). so whenever you start up it smokes, i assume the prev owner took em off and capped em, and never removed the valve off of the high pressure line. its a pretty easy job.
hmm maybe ill have to check it out to understand a little more. where is this valve located? by the steering pump? got pictures? and to do this will i have to work under the car? or can i work from the top? i got a really bad fuel smell, smells pretty bad think this can be the problem?

is it okay to keep the hose capped? or do i need to connect it?
Old 07-24-09, 02:48 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno
ay thanks for posting that pic up. You see that big hose in the middle and their is that connector to attach the hose going to the middle of the car on it? I had that connector laying around and didn't know what to do.

Anyways in your second pic, you see a hose with what looks like bunny ears on it in the middle? ya that hose goes into that screw hole.

You dont need to waste money on a new intake. Just go to home depot or lowes and get one of these.
http://www.premaharvie.com/images/Ho...-%20HC2983.jpg
then cut one side in half to 3/4ths. Jam it into the hole and maybe use some jb weld or epoxy around it to secure it. Then attach that hose right to it.
alright thanks a lot for telling me that. i was about to buy new one.
Old 07-24-09, 02:36 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Man Grindin you have to many damn questions! Plug the hose back in and see if it smokes or you notice your steering improve. As for the oil smell and gas smell you most likely have other leaks going on not related at all to the hose mentioned. Look under the car and you should have your answer. If there is to much oil clean it with some brake parts cleaner (works the best). Check your fuel lines from the back of the car to the front and see if you have a leaking issue. Unless your car is running like garbage you might be smelling it run really rich and thats where you get the egg/gas smell. Do you have a check engine light on or not? Thats a ovious indication you have a issue somewhere.
Old 07-24-09, 03:40 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Man Grindin you have to many damn questions! Plug the hose back in and see if it smokes or you notice your steering improve. As for the oil smell and gas smell you most likely have other leaks going on not related at all to the hose mentioned. Look under the car and you should have your answer. If there is to much oil clean it with some brake parts cleaner (works the best). Check your fuel lines from the back of the car to the front and see if you have a leaking issue. Unless your car is running like garbage you might be smelling it run really rich and thats where you get the egg/gas smell. Do you have a check engine light on or not? Thats a ovious indication you have a issue somewhere.
lol it's good to ask questions right?? might as well ask. CEL is on but goes away after the car warms up i guess since it disappears after 30 minutes of driving. well ill do as you suggested and report back immediately boss. aloha
Old 07-25-09, 10:20 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Here is how to check the codes.

5) To retrieve codes, turn ignition on. DO NOT start engine.
Using a jumper wire, connect terminals E1 and TE1 together either on
DLC1 or DLC2. See Fig. 2. Count number of flashes from Malfunction
Indicator Light (MIL).
6) If MIL flashes 2 times every second, system is functioning
properly (no codes present). This is known as a normal condition. If a
diagnostic code is displayed, first group of flashes will indicate
first digit of a 2-digit diagnostic code. After a 1.5 second delay,
second group of flashes will indicate second digit of diagnostic code.
7) If more than one code is stored, a 2.5 second delay will
occur between diagnostic codes. After all diagnostic codes have been
displayed, a 4.5 second delay will occur and then codes will be
repeated until jumper wire connecting terminals E1 and TE1 is
disconnected. Diagnostic codes will display from smallest to largest
number.
8) Identify and record diagnostic trouble codes. After
trouble codes are retrieved, remove jumper wire to exit Normal Mode.

Let me know what the code is then you can pinpoint your issue.