Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAF Unplugged = Car runs better PART 3? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 10:37 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MAF Unplugged = Car runs better PART 3? HELP!

Still in need of help.

Basically... MAF Unplugged makes the car run great (but probably less than what it should be).

When its plugged in the car feels OK until it warms up slightly. Then the car bogs... feels like it under powered with a flat torque curve.

This is what I have done so far to see if I can correct it.

3 MAFs
2 TPS's
2 NEW O2 Sensors
Spark Plugs
2 ECU's
Obviously reset the ECU's

I get bad gas mileage - 12-15mpg...

After all that nothing still. One weird thing though. When the car started to feel crappy, I got O2 sensor CEL's. So i replaced my O2 sensors thinking that was the problem. The light went away for a little. But now comes on every now and then.... NEW O2 sensors throwing codes just like the old (1 year old) ones did. Its not the sensor, then what could it be?

Input... Please...
Old 07-14-09, 11:14 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, this problem really sucks for you.

Did you check the intake air temperature sensor? i thought it was separate from the maf.

So after knowing the you got an O2 sensor cel, I'm going to say that you have an exhaust leak somewhere. I really don't have anymore input to help you out Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
Old 07-14-09, 11:40 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sc-driver
wow, this problem really sucks for you.

Did you check the intake air temperature sensor? i thought it was separate from the maf.

So after knowing the you got an O2 sensor cel, I'm going to say that you have an exhaust leak somewhere. I really don't have anymore input to help you out Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
IAT is part of the MAF.

Exhaust leak you say. I have unbolted the exhaust many times POST cat (after primary o2 sensor before post sensor) for my tranny swap stuff. Only other thing is I have deleted my EGR. I cant seem to find any bit of leaking though.
Old 07-14-09, 11:45 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mabey bad vacum somewhere due to egr delete
Old 07-14-09, 11:51 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
mabey bad vacum somewhere due to egr delete
Could not find anything. Idle is perfect BTW.
Old 07-14-09, 01:55 PM
AyDee
Driver

same problem here - but when i DC the MAF, from 1st to second on 5000 RPM u feel like the transmission is gone the engine revs like in neutral

now even whrn i DC the MAF the issue is still there - now i have a EGR check engine light on - that could be problem
Old 07-14-09, 04:11 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

dude, take it to a good exhaust shop where they can diagnose it better. I had small exhaust leak on the top part of the piping in front of the secondary O2 sensors. Gave me a CEL for the O2 sensors. Or you can have someone rev it and listen for some kind of "sputtering" underneath the car.
Old 07-14-09, 04:37 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sc-driver
dude, take it to a good exhaust shop where they can diagnose it better. I had small exhaust leak on the top part of the piping in front of the secondary O2 sensors. Gave me a CEL for the O2 sensors. Or you can have someone rev it and listen for some kind of "sputtering" underneath the car.
Starting to think something with the exhaust also...

What do you think about clogged cats? Do clogged cats throw CEL's for o2 sensors on these cars?
Old 07-14-09, 05:02 PM
AyDee
Driver

i would think a clogged cat would def throw a O2 code, especially for the back O2 sensors - It might not be clogged enough to throw a bad cat light, but the O2 sensor would sense a malfunction

what is the code again? 24 26?
Old 07-14-09, 05:17 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

I know for sure, (at least for the secondary O2 sensors) that it will throw a CEL when the O2 sensors are giving faulty readings, or just gone bad, the cats are clogged, or if there is too much oxygen in the system (aka a leak).
Old 07-14-09, 06:07 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try the 12v fuel ecu mod. i think this just might do the trick
Old 07-14-09, 07:29 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by topdog849
try the 12v fuel ecu mod. i think this just might do the trick

Forgot to mention I tried it.. no luck.
Old 07-15-09, 11:20 AM
AyDee
Driver

I am starting to think it might be the cats or somekind of temp sensor - I read about it once here in the forum.

When the car is cold, it runs really good, and u can feel power, after a little while, it starts to bog and becomes lazy from a dead stop. not only that, but if I am going under 30 mph, and I floor the gas pedal, it does not shift to first as it usually does (ECT PWR is on) - I will have to do it manually

I am honestly starting to give up on my beloved SC, especially after being smoked by a 3000GT (stock) - not so nice
Old 07-15-09, 05:15 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey phoenix go buy some crc maf sensor cleaner and spray down your sensor AND look down into the hole your sensor came from. you should see something like a camera lens looking at you. SPRAY THAT TOO. but be careful and be sure to let it dry, im talkin bout maybe leave it overnight if you dont have anywhere to go. then pull out ur ecu fuse for 5 mins or disconnect ur
negative battery cable. report back this solved my problem like literally 3 hours ago.
Old 07-15-09, 06:02 PM
AyDee
Driver

I tried this - it does not help - I also unscrewed the whole MAF and i sprayed everything in it - let it dry, the car still bogs a lot

Quick Reply: MAF Unplugged = Car runs better PART 3? HELP!