Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tune up item priority?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 11:43 AM
MuGGzyx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune up item priority?

I am heading to the shop today to buy a load of stuff to tune up my car.
I found out from the previous owner that it basically has had ZERO significant maint done to it in like 60K+ miles, if ever. It's a 93 SC400 with 155k-ish miles on it and no clear record of ANY upkeep beyond oil and tranny fluid changes.

I have to sort of prioritize the maint. and do it in chunks so I am looking for advice on what my priorities should be in your opinions.

I am planning on doing the Seafoam deal on the engine, and changing plugs and cables this weekend. Followed by an oil and filter change of course (I did read the Seafoam thread).
Then hit the fuel and air filter if I can afford that after the above.

Do I NEED to do the Distributor and rotors NOW, or can I let those sit for a month or so?

I know I also need to get the serpentine belt and pulleys changed next, and I guess people advise on doing the water pump while I am in there.

I know I need to do a bunch of gaskets but not sure WHEN I should do those or which I really need to worry about, right now I have no leaks and the engine is VERY clean. So which should I consider a priority sine I can't afford to do it all today?
Old 05-29-09, 11:52 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would do the timing belt while your there as 60-70K is usually the time to replace it. It is during the timing belt replacement that you do the water pump. That would be my first priority. After that i would move to ignition system (plugs, wires, caps and rotors there are 2). Pulleys rarely need changing. They only should be changed if they are causing the serp belt to wear prematurely.

for gaskets, you don't need to replace any unless they are leaking or if you need to replace something that requires removing that gasket.
Old 05-29-09, 12:02 PM
MuGGzyx
Driver

TY for the reply, the main reason I was planning on doing the ignition stuff now is it is stuttering pretty bad and I have tried other things and from reading here, the plugs and cables are the next option to fix, esp when I was told it possibly has NEVER been done.
I guess I misunderstood about the pulleys, I just say some threads about the serp belt and they all listed Pulleys as a replacement part, the belt there now seems pretty tight but as I am just in the middle of a divorce, I may be using this car as a daily driver for a while so I want to get it ship shape while I can afford to.
Old 05-29-09, 12:04 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the belts including timing, water pump, all fluids, ignition system, fuel system, and be sure to check your bushing on your suspension..
Old 05-29-09, 12:43 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful on the fuel filter as it's pretty easy to mess stuff up. Someone that owned the car before me twisted up the fuel line and it caused a CEL I couldn't get rid of forever (because I couldn't diagnose it..). Be sure to properly secure the filter before removing the lines. It DOES get messy, and if you have to cut the lines, search for a thread I responded to (believe keyword was gas filter).
Old 05-29-09, 01:05 PM
MuGGzyx
Driver

pardon my stupid question...
nevermind, amazing what a call to the friendly Napa guys can get you

Last edited by MuGGzyx; 05-29-09 at 01:51 PM.