Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Actuated Exhaust cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 10:05 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actuated Exhaust cutouts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gaAuGNk5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6R1NXesihU

I was just wondering if anyone's ever tried these on their SCs? The problem I'm currently facing is that I can't get my car to pass inspection this year because the shop I went to complains the exhaust is too loud (I did pass the emissions with just 2 cats). I personally have been having the same feeling for the last few months. Its nice when I'm accelerating at WOT; however, the aftermarket exhaust gets to be pretty annoying when I'm just driving around like normal. I came across a couple articles online that talked about being about to control how loud your exhaust is with the switch of a button, and this may be the solution for me.

It makes sense when you think about it. you need to pass these pesky inspections or the cops on the street, just close the cutouts. So has anyone tried it? Any problems you could see with them?
Old 05-20-09, 10:44 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

my main concern with those actuated cutouts is that theyll get coked up with carbon and then barely want to work.
Old 05-20-09, 12:50 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do a DIY Ball valve Y like you would use when plumbing, you could get it at Lowes. Run some cables or something to manually move the levers. You wouldnt have to worry about the actuators failing.
Old 05-20-09, 01:11 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tularisgp
my main concern with those actuated cutouts is that theyll get coked up with carbon and then barely want to work.
its same thing as a wastegate basically, except in a different spot so that doesnt even make sense.. does a wastegate barely wanna work? no and that's the first thing out the exhaust this is down the exhaust...
Old 05-20-09, 07:59 PM
Blurr
Driver

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
its same thing as a wastegate basically, except in a different spot so that doesnt even make sense.. does a wastegate barely wanna work? no and that's the first thing out the exhaust this is down the exhaust...
Nope. Its not the same thing. A wastegate opens with boost. Carbon is no match for 5 PSI. Not only that, a wastegate spring is adjustable. Carbon accumulation on a exhaust actuator can prevent it from fully closing or opening.
Old 05-20-09, 08:31 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blurr
Nope. Its not the same thing. A wastegate opens with boost. Carbon is no match for 5 PSI. Not only that, a wastegate spring is adjustable. Carbon accumulation on a exhaust actuator can prevent it from fully closing or opening.
If my EGR valve can go 190k without needing to be cleaned then so can A cutout. IMHO, cutouts with a stock exhaust is the perfect setup on an SC, sporty and loud when you want them to be, quiet and comfy when you cruise. I plan on trying to hook mine up to the ECT/Power switch so that when I hit "Power" they open up.
Old 05-21-09, 12:47 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

alright look. most of these exhaust cut outs are like throttle bodies aka butterfly valves. wastegates and EGR are not like so. egr are plunger and seat valves. usually vacuum actuated or electronically. some external wastegates are like giant EGR to me. haha. or some are vacuum actuated arms and doors.

when a throttle body gets jammed up with carbon and gunk, what happens? it can get stuck open, or closed, sometimes at WOT. not a good place to be. what happens when an exhaust cutout thats similar gets jammed up? you guessed it, stuck closed or open.
Old 05-21-09, 01:16 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

It makes sense that there could be carbon buildup on these things. Has anyone had any personal experience with these at all? I have a 3" catback and it is definitely attracting a lot of unneeded attention, so just lately i've been contemplating one.

I was taking a look at the one from driftmotion
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...austcutout.php
Old 05-21-09, 10:37 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have about 6000 miles on a 3" electric cutout on my gt30r crx.....still works like a champ...

that carbon u speak of wont be an issue...stock ferrari's utilize the same exact thing, actuated valves opening and closing actuated electronically based on rpm and throttle position....

pretty easy stuff to do....
Old 05-21-09, 11:38 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

based on the video its boost actuated. its using the butterfly with a wastegate actuator. thats why it opened at a set psi.
Old 05-21-09, 05:00 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

google it, alot of these fail not because of build up, but because the electric motors that open/close the vlave is what fails. The electric motors don't fair too well because of the heat, a number of guys on sf have had their cutouts fail over time and they had to either replace the motor or have them rewound.
Old 05-21-09, 05:06 PM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

I have a buddy with a single'd Ij MKIII with no exhaust, just an electric cutout right on the end of his dp. For exhaust flow while its closed he drilled a few holes into the dp right before the cutout. This way it sounds somewhat stock while closed, then he can open it all the way or just half depending on where hes driving. Kind of gives him 3 diff levels of driving at the flip of a switch.

I ran a qtp electric exhaust cutout on my last car (4-banger with 100 shot n2o) without problems for 2 years.
Old 05-21-09, 05:15 PM
Blurr
Driver

Originally Posted by dumdumgreg
google it, alot of these fail not because of build up, but because the electric motors that open/close the vlave is what fails. The electric motors don't fair too well because of the heat, a number of guys on sf have had their cutouts fail over time and they had to either replace the motor or have them rewound.
I agree. If it is configured to open everytime a certain boost level is reached then its lifespan would be shortened. I would rather have one that I can open manually/electrically whenever I needed to. Not too many of my friends had exhaust cutouts back in the day but those that did were not too happy with them.
Old 05-22-09, 07:17 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

i had an electric cutout on my turbo. made by QTP. i've had to return mine once for service. my cutout was pretty low at the time and would scrap on speed bumps, etc. which QTP said caused the failure. since i got it back (and before car was totaled), i've had it reinstalled so it would not scrape and had not had it fail.

other than the failure, i liked it very much. used it to control amount of boost (since i was using stock exhaust, it was quite restrictive) and volume of exhaust.