Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clicking/Tick noise when shifting into gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 05:50 PM
MowJenkins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking/Tick noise when shifting into gear

I've been searching around everywhere for an answer and the closest I could find is a post made on this forum back in '04 so I'm making a new post in hopes of more suggestions.

Whenever I shift my car into reverse or drive from a standstill I get a very distinct and very noticeable "click" - sometimes a double click in succession.
It also happens, albeit very rarely when taking off forward from a stop - though it doesn't happen everytime and I've spent a while trying to find some pattern to it but it happens sometimes from a slow rolling takeoff and sometimes with a spirited launch with no obvious cause. It doesn't seem to make this noise when upshifting once its moving (1-2 2-3 3-4) or when it downshifts, the noise seems to be contained to N-1 or N-R shifts. I would describe the sound as a metal on metal click/tick.

I've checked the U joints and the boots are fine and intact, I replaced the brake pads and rotors a year+ ago and I only noticed this click start recently so I'm doubtful thats the cause. Aside from that the only thing I'm worried that could be causing it is the torque converter, maybe someone could help shed some light into this.
Old 06-01-09, 03:21 PM
AyDee
Driver

I have the same problem - It doesn't seem to affect the drivability of the car

Do you notice slow acceleration from first gear or second gear below 3 RPM? I am having this issue, especially after my 18" rims were installed.

I am switching to an aftermarket TC next week, I will update you on whether this click goes away

~~~
Old 06-15-09, 02:25 PM
imarshall
Pole Position

I know this topic is about 10 days paste due or so but I have the same problem. Not sure if it is a "problem" .. but I did notice that when you stomp on the clutch pedal, there is that clicking.. so maybe a faulty button or something under there.
Old 06-15-09, 03:04 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

Mine does it and its the shift solenoids on their way out $300aud

SC300 - 4 solenoids
SC400 - 5 solenoids
Old 06-18-09, 11:23 AM
AyDee
Driver

is that smthg in the transmission? I am changing my TC right now, I do not know if this will fix it - Installing the Lextreme 2700 RPM stall one - I'll update in few hours
Old 06-19-09, 12:42 PM
AyDee
Driver

I have the Lextreme TC installed now, I still hear the click/tick - Now, David told me that I should wait a week before I see changes, I don't really know what a week will change, but 400 dollars part + 300 dollars for installation gave me only one thing --> money loss

The TC does not work like I expected - I will get back to you in a week and update you guys