Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

looked underneath the car and oil pan is soaked

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 01:29 PM
acenase
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looked underneath the car and oil pan is soaked

I checked underneath the car because I noticed oil dripping on my driveway and I noticed the oil pan is soaked and looks like it's falling off of the car. Is this bad? I was just gonna remove the oil pan just incase so it doesn't fall off while i'm driving on the highway or something. But does this mean I have a mean oil leak? I also read that this might be transmission fluid? what should I do?
Old 05-08-09, 03:12 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by acenase
Is this bad? I was just gonna remove the oil pan just incase so it doesn't fall off while i'm driving on the highway or something.
Buddy I hope you are kidding and didn't say some asinine comment about removing your oil pan. Cause all of oil would not be in there and you motor would lock up duuuurrrrrr. You need pics of this so we can figure a area where it is coming from. You could have a common power steering leak or you valve covers could be leaking also. You just might have a oil pan leaking and nothing else, but I doubt that cause you probably have some high mileage SC. Spray it down with brake clean or some cleaner run it for 3 days or so and get it on a lift. Look for any oil leaks and there is your answer. Fix the issue don't keep adding oil.
Old 05-08-09, 03:29 PM
acenase
Pole Position

The oil pan looks like it's somewhat dragging, and kinda hitting the ground a little bit. I tried to push it back up, but that didn't work. I'll take some pictures.
Old 05-08-09, 03:53 PM
acenase
Pole Position

heres a pic of under the car, with the thing almost touching the ground... looks like there is oil inside it which is what is making it heavy.

Old 05-08-09, 03:58 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

That's your underbody plastic, not your oil pan.

Get some zip ties or make a bracket and bolt it back into place, or just take it off completely so you can determine where the leak is originating from.

If you have a really bad oil leak it's likely your Rear main seal. Get some brake cleaner and clean off all the oil under the affected areas and run the engine and try to determine where the leak is coming from. DO NOT RUN YOUR CAR DRY OF OIL IF THE LEAK IS SERIOUS. You may be lucky and not have to change your rms.

Or you can go with plan b, and take it somewhere, and probably get ripped off from your lack of basic car knowledge. (no offense lol)

Last edited by codetoad; 05-08-09 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 04:06 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

I hope that is not after one day and you hit something cause that looks like a lot of oil leaking. You can either drill holes back into the under body cover or take it off all together. I don't think those covers are to much from the dealer ,but sometimes it isn't even worth buying. From that photo that is not the main cause of the oil leak even though it might have one. The third pic there is oil/power steering fluid on the steering boot. Most likely lower oil pan those leak a lot. Clean take the cover off and clean the under body of the car. Check that oil level lol Jesus....
Old 05-08-09, 04:10 PM
acenase
Pole Position

Yeah that's the cover I was planning to just take off cause i didnt want it to fall off while i was driving. but maybe once i remove it i can pinpoint where the leak is coming from. hopefully ill just need a gasket or something to fix it. i don't know how long it's been like this because i only noticed it now when i saw on the driveway oil was there and i looked underneath the car.

I recently checked the oil dipstick in the car and it was low... so i added in 2 quarts of oil. and i checked the dipstick and it's fine now, showing oil all the way to the top.

Could an Old oil filter be a suspect in this as well? I haven't changed my oil filter in a while.

Last edited by acenase; 05-08-09 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 04:35 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

I recently checked the oil dipstick in the car and it was low... so i added in 2 quarts of oil. and i checked the dipstick and it's fine now, showing oil all the way to the top.
The dipstick only measures the final quart of oil in your motor. If the oil shows on the dipstick at the lowest mark then it means you are only a quart low. You probably have too much oil in your motor now which is not good and will only worsen whatever leak you already have.

Could an Old oil filter be a suspect in this as well? I haven't changed my oil filter in a while.
Jeez man are you trying to ruin your motor? What you need to do is remove the underbody panel, clean everything off, and do a proper oil change. Then you can probably pinpoint where the leak is coming from.
Old 05-08-09, 06:10 PM
acenase
Pole Position

I may have added a quart too much oil then. Is this something serious? I'm about to go tie the cover up using those white tie things-- just so it's not so close to the ground. I was told that I can't find out exactly where the leak is unless I get it on a lift and inspect the engine, so i'll need to take it to Midas for that sometime.
Old 05-08-09, 09:04 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack the car up and follow the leak. If its between your engine and transmission bellhosuing then its rear main... if its coming from the oil pan.... then oil pan seal... etc... you can figure it out by looking.
Old 05-08-09, 11:14 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

LOL...if anything don't ever remove your oil pan...and then drive...
Old 05-09-09, 12:41 AM
codetoad
Lead Lap

I feel like we're getting trolled for some reason but sadly were probably not
Old 05-09-09, 06:58 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

I may have added a quart too much oil then. Is this something serious? I'm about to go tie the cover up using those white tie things-- just so it's not so close to the ground. I was told that I can't find out exactly where the leak is unless I get it on a lift and inspect the engine, so i'll need to take it to Midas for that sometime.
Yes it can be serious. Oil isn't going to compress so if there is too much it will force it's way out through seals and make any leak you have worse.

You don't have to put your car on a lift. Jack your car up, remove the plastic panel, and look at what is going on underneath it.
Old 05-09-09, 01:36 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

I'm saying for him have someone else put it on a lift for his safety sake lol. I feel nervous for him putting the jack right threw the floor. Have someone at a shop check it out if your not sure. The lower oil pan you can use Permatex rtv gasket maker cause they don't sell a pre made gasket for it I already checked. What state do you life in besides the cheesin state?lol
Old 05-28-09, 06:14 PM
acenase
Pole Position

Here's an update... I took the plastic cover off and sprayed the whole engine with the hose and degreaser and turned the engine on. after everything dried I looked underneath the car and I saw a little oil seeping out from right below the LOWER PULLEY. Does anyone know if this is a main seal or what part is this leaking from? I checked beneath the car and no oil was really dripping, I dont know why all of a sudden it stopped when I just added 2 quarts of Oil and it was completely gone. I poured 1 more quart of oil in and after a week the dipstick still shows it at the same spot. I haven't been driving the car - so maybe it only leaks when I drive the car??

Quick Reply: looked underneath the car and oil pan is soaked