Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Newbie Upgrade question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 10:59 AM
MuGGzyx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie Upgrade question...

I have a 93 SC400 and as far as I can tell it is fully stock and has about 159k miles on it.
I am wondering what would be the first and best upgrade I should do on this bad boy?

A friend who is into "drifting" has all kinds of input but I never plan on racing this. I just use it to commute and like to go drive in the mountains and such and enjoy the ***** this thing has but would like a little more "oomph".

I have been meticulous in maint. since I adopted it and want it to last as long as possible and look like a "sleeper" as I already get too many "rice boys" wanting to race me and I am just too old for all that.

Any advice or input is very welcome, I did search but didn't see anything aimed specificaly at newbies just getting started on tuning their car.
Old 04-20-09, 11:26 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to being a Newb not really knowing what to do. But with the research Ive done, theres 2 things I want to give a shot. Both pretty simple:

1) Intake (BFI). There's plenty of DIY's on how to cut a few big holes in the stock intake, which supposedly increases horsepower a bit and makes your engine sound nicer.

2) Unplugging solenoid 4? on your transmission. There's a few threads about this. The idea behind this is that 1st to 2nd gear on our transmissions is slow due to the transmission slipping to give it a luxury feel. If you unplug this sensor on the transmission it will stop it from slipping between 1st and 2nd, therefore allowing your car to 'take off' more like a real sports car. The nice thing about this is that its only apparently noticeable while driving aggressively. Here are some links to that:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-its-free.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...kdown-lag.html

But as I said, I'm also a Newb, and this is just what I've attained from lurking around. Anyone can feel free to correct me on any of that stuff if I'm wrong.
Those are just 2 performance increasing mods that I'd like to try..
Old 04-20-09, 10:21 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if id mess around with the wiring on your tranny. its an automatic so you cant expect much from it. if you really want more fun, you should just do it the right way and swap in a manual, w50 or r154 5 spd, or the supra's legendary 6 spd v160 works great.

As for what you should start with, considering you have an early SC4, id work on that attrocious exhaust system. starting from headers would be best. theyre hard to install, but alone can net +20rwhp or more. if you dont want to go all out you can always work from the primary cats back with 2.25" dual tubing coupled with an x-pipe. it should at least let the engine breathe more easily.