Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How fast is a SC400 with bolt-ons?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 04:10 AM
SD6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is a SC400 with bolt-ons?

I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong forum, but I figured I would get the best information here.

Anyway, a quick backstory:

I was challenged to race for any amount of money I desired by some cocky kid with a newer SC400 who lives nextdoor to my girlfriend. He obviously requested I drive my 1990 MX6, rather than my Ninja.

Now, my question:

Like the thread title states, I was just curious as to how quick these are with basic bolt-on mods? I didn't hear a supercharger whine, or the sound of a spooling turbocharger (which I am very familiar with) when he was tearing *** up and down the street last I saw him, and I doubt he's spraying. I'm going to assume that he has a few basic bolt-ons at worst, or only an aftermarket muffler at best.

Like I said, I know these "Who would win" type threads are terrible, and I can't believe I'm actually posting one, but I'd like to make sure I'm not going up against something I'm not prepared for, especially if he's good to his word and will race for a few hundred bucks.

Thanks in advance folks.
Old 02-16-05, 05:38 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems you signed up just to ask this question and yes, bench racing is pointless but all in good fun.

My only advice is that if he just walks up to you and offers you any amount YOU want, it's obvious he has some heat under the hood. No one is stupid enough to make that offer with a stock or near stock car.

He mostly like has a 100-shot of nitrous or something and will kill you. That, or he's just *really* stupid. Either way, pass on the deal.

Oh yea, and street racing is bad.
Old 02-16-05, 06:10 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really are no cost effective supercharging or turbo options for a 400 (are you sure its a 400 not a 300 w/ a turbo, those are much more popular and faster).

Look at this site:

http://intellexual.net/faq.html

If the engine has VVTI then it will be alot faster (98+) 0-60 in about 6sec

Tim
Old 02-16-05, 06:55 AM
SD6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Seems you signed up just to ask this question and yes, bench racing is pointless but all in good fun.
Yeah, I did..

Anyway, I'm positive it's not turbocharged. I did get a glance inside, I didn't see any gauges, indicating he was nitrous equipped, but who knows.
Old 02-16-05, 07:14 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Do you know the year exactly?
Old 02-16-05, 07:47 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Uhh........... I hope you have the turbo model MX6 with some sort of turbo upgrade or something because if your MX6 isn't even turbo'd, it's going to be a joke of a "race".
Old 02-16-05, 09:14 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

You are racing a pretty decent 4.0l V8 against your MX-6. I don't know what you have done to your car, but unless it is blown, boosted or sprayed, I would give this one a miss!

Regards,
Jonny
Old 02-16-05, 12:00 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Ok....

MX6-T vs. SC400 VVTI = Close-ish but SC400
MX6 -NA vs. ANY SC 3 or 4 = SC by a mile
MX6-T WITH mild mods and the 5-spd vs. SC400 = MX6 (assuming he's not running spray)

I've owned both cars, the MX6 CAN be pretty quick. IF you want to win, do not and I repeat DO NOT do a highway pull...you will lose period.

And oh yeah, street racing is bad.
Old 02-16-05, 12:21 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

if you have no turbo or spray then dont bother. the sc400 is more of a highway car, it romps all over alot of other cars on the highway, but off the line the auto tranny kills some potential for better launches. Still though, your going up against a 4.0 v8 with anywhere from 230-300ish hp and tq depending on what mods if any.
Old 02-16-05, 12:36 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i agree that the sc400 romps on the highway, i had a 93 (sadly it was totalled ) and some wise guy in a newer gtp tryed to pull a ricer fly-by on me, luckily i saw him coming in the rearview so i punched it right befor he was going to pass me and after he passed i easily caught up and passed him. i looked at him as i was going bye and the look on his face was priceless, something like this: , i was on my way to have my supra tt suspension installed, good times, good times.
anothere good race i had was against a 5slow mustang, it beat me but not by much, my front bumper was at his rear, and i had the trac cntrl on
Old 02-16-05, 05:16 PM
SD6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input, I'm going to have to see if I can make a few bucks off this guy.

BTW:

My MX6:

Rebuilt engine overbored to 2.3L, removed AC/PS, ACT stage 1 clutch, chipped ecu, walbro 190 fuel pump, K&N conical, 3" exhaust, upgraded hybrid turbo with MBC @ 18psi.
Old 02-16-05, 05:44 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

let us know how it goes
Old 02-16-05, 07:09 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I dunno,.. I had a 96 300Z that had a lot of bolt-ons, and raced my homeboy's early 90's model turbo RX-7 and ran him fairly close in either's favor, depended on the day,... my 97 SC400 is faster than my Z and I'd say that his RX-7 is probably faster than your MX-6,... not good odds,...

... then again, he might suck as a driver, or your upgrades may be enough,.. don't know... try him out and see what happens...
Old 02-16-05, 10:05 PM
Supermac7
Driver School Candidate

I always liked the MX-6 T's :-) Nice car. You should be able to walk him just fine.

I used to have a couple of turbo RX-7's in the 12's; those were fun.
Old 02-17-05, 07:37 AM
SC4Million
Driver

Originally Posted by SD6
Thanks for the input, I'm going to have to see if I can make a few bucks off this guy.

BTW:

My MX6:

Rebuilt engine overbored to 2.3L, removed AC/PS, ACT stage 1 clutch, chipped ecu, walbro 190 fuel pump, K&N conical, 3" exhaust, upgraded hybrid turbo with MBC @ 18psi.
He's gone....Unless the SC had some very dramatic mods, you're going to kill him with that set up.

Quick Reply: How fast is a SC400 with bolt-ons?