Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lightweight flywheel...streetable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 08:12 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight flywheel...streetable?

My clutch is fried to a crisp (had to get towed back to my apartment ). It was pretty much on its way out the door anyways. While im replacing the clutch assembly i figured that i might as well upgrade the flywheel to a lightweight unit. I've been looking a lot at a Fidanza unit rated at 12.5 lbs. I was discussing this option with one of my teachers and he mentioned that, while improving acceleration performance, it could hamper driveablility. He went on to discuss that the computer would have trouble compensating for the quicker revs and could studder a little as it went through the RPM range kinda iffy on this issue. Also he went on to mention that while RPMs rise quickly, they would also fall more quickly as well. This i can agree with and could understand that it could be uncomfortable under engine braking, but could be dealt with by just pushing the clutch pedal.

Does anyone who is running a lightweight flywheel have any of these issues, are they a bother, and would you recommend one as an upgrade? Also any particular brand that you've used and could comment on? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-09, 07:18 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

I had the fidanza and loved it. Engine response is GREATLY improved. Yes the revs rise and drop quickly which is exactly why I installed it. Shifting must be done quicker in order to match the rpm's. Lazy shifting is not allowed. Rev-matching is now fun as well as heel-toe downshifting. Engine braking is also improved. The ecu will not be affected. I highly recommend this upgrade only for the SPIRITED driver.
Old 03-23-09, 08:27 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed on my few miles on mine... that the rpms at idle dropped and it wasn't too big of a deal when driving it. I have maybe 20 miles on it.
Old 03-24-09, 07:33 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Da Coupe
I had the fidanza and loved it. Engine response is GREATLY improved. Yes the revs rise and drop quickly which is exactly why I installed it. Shifting must be done quicker in order to match the rpm's. Lazy shifting is not allowed. Rev-matching is now fun as well as heel-toe downshifting. Engine braking is also improved. The ecu will not be affected. I highly recommend this upgrade only for the SPIRITED driver.
What kind of car was this on? 2JZGE? Im pretty spirited as it is which is probably why the clutch didn't last too long (3 1/2 years i think :P )
Old 03-24-09, 10:36 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Yup. 2jzge w/ Centerforce dual friction clutch.
Old 03-25-09, 06:52 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

thanks Da Coupe. I'll guess ill dive in and see what happens. Wish me luck.
Old 03-25-09, 07:24 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Good luck & you won't regret it!
Old 03-25-09, 10:54 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Be interested in where you guys find/found the best priced w/shipping.