Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electrical gremlins? I don't know where to start searching...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 08:45 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Electrical gremlins? I don't know where to start searching...

Specs:

1995 SC400 (78,000 miles)
Clifford remote start system
All new speakers
12" Sub in the trunk
Xenon Depot HID kit

That's the extent of my electrical modifications. The stereo work and Clifford system were all professionally installed by the same person.

Recently I've been having trouble with the car starting in the cold. I go to school in the mountains and I chalked the issue up to an old battery and the weather. I intend to replace the battery shortly.

This morning on the way to work the car threw 2 lights: CEL, and the traction control light (not the TRAC, the TRAC/OFF in the lower corner of the cluster.)

Tonight while sitting and waiting to pick my sister up from work, the car's electrical power died and it took about 3 minutes before I was able to restart it. All accessories flickered on and off, the headlights wouldn't turn on, lights dimmed, etc... I noticed that even with the radio turned off, the subwoofer was still humming quietly in the trunk. I unplugged it.

When I started driving again (drove the **** out of it to get the electrical power up) it was fine. Still showing the 2 lights in the dash, however. I checked the traction system by intentionally spinning the wheels. Nope, definitely not kicking in.

I don't know where this gremlin is, if it's just the battery, or what else the problem could be. The traction light/CEL are only on every other time I start the car, and sometimes only come on about 5 minutes after starting the car.

Any help? Suggestions?

TIA.
Old 03-13-09, 08:57 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hows the idle is it going up and down when idling? start the car and check the batt voltage when running, it should be bet 13-14v. if not alternator is probably not charging the battery, or battery is shot.
Old 03-13-09, 09:00 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by davidv433
hows the idle is it going up and down when idling? start the car and check the batt voltage when running, it should be bet 13-14v. if not alternator is probably not charging the battery, or battery is shot.
Idle is fine. I was thinking maybe the alternator as well.

One thing I forgot to mention: if I'm cruising with the a/c on and turn it off, the RPMs will drop to zero and the car will die when I come to a stop or if I put in in neutral while driving.
Old 03-13-09, 09:43 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

hmm... check the battery first. alternator might be fine and its just that the battery is not able to hold a charge anymore. also check for loose or corroded battery terminals.
Old 03-13-09, 09:55 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely check battery terminals. the cables that hook up to the terminals could be loose even if the terminal is secure on the battery. that would explain why the car dies and starts up randomly and also with the turning off a/c and dying at the next stop. i had the same exact problems!! scared the crap outta me i thought i bought a lemon lol.
Old 03-14-09, 03:01 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Battery cables and terminals are fine. Checked the code on a scanner today and it's #27, an 02 sensor. I don't understand the correlation to the traction control light though. Thoughts?
Old 03-15-09, 06:46 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

nuthing to do with whats going on with the power problem. checked the battery voltage when running yet ?
Old 03-16-09, 07:22 AM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this problem see if u can find out this. I did a drift last nite and as soon as i cam out of it no sound , and my face ofd stero works im confused , i have upgraded speakers like u but no amp everything stock except the speakers
Old 03-16-09, 09:02 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Battery voltage is very low. Whether the battery is to blame for the engine lights/electrical gremlins, it does need to be replaced.

No problems with power slides or anything. Occasionally though, only the left front speaker will play. I have to reset the car by turning it on/off.
Old 03-25-09, 04:13 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Check the negative battery terminal It was my issue it was corroded inside the insulation I looked fine but it would create resistance and our cars are very sensitive to ground. You wont belive this but you just cant buy the cable from lexus. there was a post that you can buy one from GS300 but still do you want to pay 90+ for a stupid ground cable? This is what I did I was looking around at walmart one day and I found a cable with a crimped end battery terminal on one end and and hole lug on the other. I am not home now bit it was about 16 to 18 inches long. If you follow the ground cable back you will notice that there is a grounding point 16 to 18 " from the ground terminal remove that screw and put the hole lug on that one and put the other side on the terminal. Them measure the voltage at the battery and make a note of it. Put a volt meter on the positive of the battery and measure the voltage across the ground points on the engine they all should match the inicial voltage reading that you took at the begining. Its about a half hour job
Old 03-25-09, 04:17 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Even if it is a battery issue you should do this. The cable was about 7 bucks and well worth no having to deal with electrical gremlins.It worked for me so far its all been good. Even the sunroof and my power windows move faster now. Good luck and let me know how things work out.
Old 04-13-09, 11:25 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Update:

Replaced the battery the other day. So far, all the gremlins seem to be gone.

Now I just need to get around to replacing my left O2 sensor, which is what's throwing my TRAC and engine lights.