Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

~Column tilt issue after 5SPD swap~

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 05:24 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ~Column tilt issue after 5SPD swap~

For all you auto to 5speed swap guys:

Ive done 3 swaps so far. The most recent one was done this past weekend on my brother's SC. Once the swap is complete I notice everything works fine except one thing, the steering column will not work correctly.

On a normal unswapped SC you can insert the key in the ignition and switch it over to the "ON position. Automatically, the steering column will come out and adjust to your desired position.

On a swapped SC you insert the key in the ignition then switch it over to the "ON" position and the column stops right away.

My question to you guys is how do you fix this problem? Does it have to do something with the loose big grey AUTO connector on that came off the auto tranny that is not used anymore? Anyone have a solution?
Old 03-10-09, 05:49 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine worked fine after my 1jz swap and I'm using an auto harness and ECU. Maybe check the worm gear on the left side of the wheel. Do you hear a grinding or whirring noise when it stops?
Old 03-10-09, 06:29 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

The column moves up and down, back and forth just fine. It just doesnt do it automatically between inserting the key in the ignition and switching over to the "ON" position.

Another thing that will not function anymore after the auto to 5speed swap on 3 different cars is the memory seat setting. Anyone have a solution for that also? Most people can live without these two functions but it just bugs me. I'd like to have everything working properly on my car.
Old 03-11-09, 06:30 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

I know the seats are from the computer under the column...not fun to get to. I can not recall if the steering wheel memory was in that box as well
Old 03-11-09, 08:14 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what he is referring to is that it works FINE when its not in the ON position, but soon as he clicks it over to the ON position, why does it stop? Automatic car does not, but why does it do it when swapped?
Old 03-11-09, 09:46 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the seat memory and auto column adjustment only works when the car is in "park" for auto trans. I am thinking it is a wiring issue when you did the manual swap especially if you are running the auto ecu. As far as the wiring, does the car sit in "park" or "neutral" when the car is off?
Old 03-11-09, 12:57 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my column will move in neutral, but when I turn the key over it stops immediately.
Old 10-23-09, 09:29 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
For all you auto to 5speed swap guys:

Ive done 3 swaps so far. The most recent one was done this past weekend on my brother's SC. Once the swap is complete I notice everything works fine except one thing, the steering column will not work correctly.

On a normal unswapped SC you can insert the key in the ignition and switch it over to the "ON position. Automatically, the steering column will come out and adjust to your desired position.

On a swapped SC you insert the key in the ignition then switch it over to the "ON" position and the column stops right away.

My question to you guys is how do you fix this problem? Does it have to do something with the loose big grey AUTO connector on that came off the auto tranny that is not used anymore? Anyone have a solution?
Did you ever fix the seat memory? Also, what did you do to get the cruise control working? I think if i could find a wiring diagram for the memory seats, I could trick it into thinking it's in Park, but all I can find is Supra wiring diagrams.