Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does anyone have a spare ECU (SC400) or has anyone else tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 02:07 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does anyone have a spare ECU (SC400) or has anyone else tried this?

For a 95 SC400.

I've been doing some reading and apparently it's a fairly simple thing to raise the rev limiter on an ECU. There is a crystal on the board that is rated in mghz. Increasing the speed of the crystal increases the clock speed of the ECU and also raises the rev limiter and makes the ECU run a bit faster in general.

Anyway, I would love to try this on my car but I need a spare ECU! If anyone cares to donate to the cause, let me know.

Thanks,

KC
Old 02-05-09, 02:57 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's the ecu serial number, I might have one. I'd be willing to donate only if you pay for shipping (and give me a wiring diagram for the supra stick )
Old 02-05-09, 04:55 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Like overclock an CPU?, sounds like a good idea. Someone lend him a chip.
Old 02-06-09, 08:07 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ihiryu
what's the ecu serial number, I might have one. I'd be willing to donate only if you pay for shipping (and give me a wiring diagram for the supra stick )
I found one today at the local pull-a-part for $27, not bad.

I will post as much info as possible on the SS install, just be patient, waiting for the new one.

Originally Posted by shajbot
Like overclock an CPU?, sounds like a good idea. Someone lend him a chip.
Yes, overclock the ECU, that's what I want to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before saying anything else, I need to make it clear that I really have no idea what I'm doing here. I know nothing to very little about electronics at this level. Most of what I do (or think I do) know has comes from researching the last day or two. At least I'm admitting this up front, right?

Here is a thread I found while doing some research. http://www.austarletclub.com/forums/...showtopic=7449 The problem is, the ECU pictured is prehistoric compared to the Lexus ECU.

Here's a pic of the 92 ECU I picked up today.....completely different animal.
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have a spare ECU (SC400) or has anyone else tried this?-img_0239.jpg  
Old 02-06-09, 08:11 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

This ECU appears to have 3 of these crystals pictured here...

There appears to be one for each of the three larger "chips" in the unit. I have absolutely no idea how to determine which crystal would need to be changed. I'm also not sure if the numbers on them indicate the mhz.
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have a spare ECU (SC400) or has anyone else tried this?-img_0237.jpg  
Old 02-06-09, 08:17 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Some of this sudden urge to explore the possibility of modding the ECU is actually the fault of Garrett at Latent Solutions. I'm going to email him these pics and see what he makes of them, I'm sure he's forgotten more than I know.

If anyone else has any idea, please post!

It should be noted that overclocking the ECM can and very likely will effect things besides the rev limiter. From my understanding (again, very little) changing the clock speed of any computer speeds up everything. Sounds good but there can be negative effects. Mostly the possibility of leaner air fuel mixtures, possible changes to spark and spark timing, ect. Do some searching / reading and you'll find out what I mean.

KC
Old 02-07-09, 07:14 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

KC, I love how inovative you are! You are trying things that have real world results for the average guy.
Old 02-08-09, 05:38 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
KC, I love how inovative you are! You are trying things that have real world results for the average guy.
Thanks man. I do this mostly cause I am the average guy, LOL.

I just wish I knew what to do next. Again, if you go to the link on post 4, you'll see how simple that ECM is compared to the SC's. I really have no idea how to figure out which crystal to change.

I do have a couple of people I'm trying to get to take a look. I also am exploring another option. The only thing I really want to do is raise the limiter to say 7000-7200 and make sure the fuel and timing maps go that high.

KC