Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo confusion

Old 12-31-08, 11:45 AM
mgude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo confusion

Hi guys.

I am the new owner of a 1997 SC300 auto. She is completely stock as far as I can tell.

I am looking to upgrade the performance and the searching I have done on this forum gives me the impression that turbo is the way to go.

Lets just get it out of the way: I know next to nothing about forced air systems. I will be having the system installed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I don't intend to race, and I need this car to be reliable, not in the garage all the time. I am just looking for some more zip...

What brand/style turbo system should I be looking for? I am a little confused that some systems (on ebay, for example) are ~$600, but others are up around $7000. What is the difference there?

I am not going to spend that much, so should I just forget it?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-08, 12:18 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

If you dont race, are looking for boost, reliability, I would recommend just going BPU. BPU means Basic Performance Upgrades such as intake, intercooler, exhaust, etc. I would recommend pulling a 2JZGTE out of a Supra and doing the basic upgrades on it. This way you have the performance when you need it and reliability. If you're on a budget NA-T would also be a good option. There are a few kits out there that would fit like the Dave H. But of course you will be spending a lot more than $600 if you want reliability because you also have to get the supporting mods. Good luck.
Old 12-31-08, 12:27 PM
wooziewest
Driver

I would look up the xs power kit on supraforums. The kit is only like 1600, and has everything except intercooler piping and some other minor stuff.

That's prob the cheapest reliable kit your going to find and i believe it will take you up to the 500whp range ( although i think your tranny wont take more than 300whp)

If your getting it installed by a shop its going to cost a big chunk of change too so keep that in mind.

Thats pretty much all the info I can give. good luck
Old 12-31-08, 12:39 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

the xspower kit does not include a way to control your ecu so upping the boost is not possible or recommended. not sure about how much power it will product out of the box without anything else but look at clubna-t as they are a supporting vendor there. i run their intercooler and have no issues but can't say anything about their turbo kit.

may also want to consider nitrous if turboing seems too much of a headache.
Old 01-01-09, 07:48 PM
SMP142
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recommend learing about the car and piecing a kit together. you will save alota money this way and learn how it works also. if you install it and know how it works, then it is alota easier to know when something isnt right.

once you get all the parts together it really doesnt take that long to mount everything up. then you can take it somewhere to get tuned and you will have a reliable car with power.
Old 01-01-09, 09:28 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Save yourself a lot of headaches and call a local performance shop. Don't to an engine swap since it's way more complicated than it really needs to be for your goals. It won't be cheap; don't go the cheap route that's when you'll get into problems.