Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzgte w/ R154 swap question and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 04:28 PM
DKNY0331
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2jzgte w/ R154 swap question and concerns

Hey everyone , so i got a 92 sc300 auto and im about to rip out the the motor and trans. I already have gotten the JDM 2jzgte which came with its own wire harness and everything that bolts up to the motor plus the orignal catalyic converter, a Auto ECU which the GTE came with a auto tranny which i will get rid of, and a R154 that came from a 89 mk3 turbo. now i know this isnt all going to be a plug N play swap, and ive looked and searched at alot of thread but it was began confusing me with people with the sc400 and 300's and diffrent trannys. Regardless of that can someone add to my list or correct it what i need or clear things up so it can be as smooth as possible and i can be prepared...

*Regarding the r154, it didnt come with everything i needed, i need a shifter for one. i figure of buying one for it but i know i have to modify my trans tunnel on my car or bend the shifter, or extend the shifter housing? did anyone have any problems with shifting after it was bent? or did they use a diffrent shifter? I need to get the 1jz bell housing as well, which most of my parts supplies should come from driftmotion.com and my toyota dealership. I need to figure out a way to hook up reverse light to the trans? I need a 7mgte clutch and a 1jz flywheel? of corse the 5sp pedal and clutch slave and master cylinder.I have a sc300 and a sc400 driveshaft do i need to make 2 into one or need a diffrent shaft?

* I need to extend the engine wire harness by about 3ft? JDM doesnt use the maf it uses map sensor? JDm uses electric fans?hydro fan?instead of the thermostatic ones how about do i add the electric fans? I need to get pipeing and hoses for the engine and intercooler.

*i have to bend the power steering lines to fit to the resivor?

*I can use the orignal exhaust without any problems right?

*throttle cable is shorter or longer then the GTE?

* Need to use the SC300's Oil Pan (Both of them),
sump, stainer , baffle, oil level sensor and oil dip stick.
Also, the oil pan has a provision to run a oil return line but
you need to drill out the center hole and tap holes to add studs.
You'll need to change #2 oil return line to supra's and get the
Supra's oil return flange that connects to pan????

*radiator hose's
thats all i can dig up from this site for now, maybe i forgot something? any agrements or disagrements to what i said or mistaken for something

********THanks FOr looking out for me CL members****************
Old 12-17-08, 07:11 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please search dude.... please..
Old 12-17-08, 07:50 PM
Jostar
Driver

Ok, if your getting everything from Aaron at driftmotion your set, Ask him for all the missing components, He sells the modded shifter you need, Pedal assembly & all the lil parts that your gonna need as well, clutch he has, Buy everything from him & see if he can hook you up... I got all my goodies from him for my 1jz in my supra, He has a very nice AFPR kit for the 1jz & the fuel damper bypass line which is very nice... About extending your harness, I think you should get in contact with phoenix tuning, DR tweak is the toyota harness guru... His prices are very reasonable... If you need anymore info please PM me, I be glad to answer question of what i know...
Old 12-18-08, 08:36 AM
red04r1
Rookie

also need a 1j bell housing...
Old 12-18-08, 09:25 AM
DKNY0331
Driver

Thnx jostar ill look into it. im just on a budget, and im borrowing my dads boss car because my sc auto trans is dead. dont have a spare car and i got less then 2k to spend. and my job been cutting back hrs so i cant be sending out everything to shops where i could do preety much all this stuff by myself. i got TIS and shopkey for refernce. im going to try looking again for a previous post on a swap but i dont think i saw a post thats showed form a-z how to do this swap, only scattered info throughout the site and what i written above is what i got out of it. This is my 1st JDM swap, ive done engine and trans changes but that was all plug and play stuff cuz it was exactly the same thing i was putting in that i was takign out of the car, not a diffrent engine/trans so its just a challenge to me which i would enjoy doing but i want to do it right and be prepared. Im about to order everything i need i was just asking if there was somethign i was missing that why i wrote this thread.
Old 12-18-08, 02:35 PM
Jostar
Driver

Originally Posted by DKNY0331
Thnx jostar ill look into it. im just on a budget, and im borrowing my dads boss car because my sc auto trans is dead. dont have a spare car and i got less then 2k to spend. and my job been cutting back hrs so i cant be sending out everything to shops where i could do preety much all this stuff by myself. i got TIS and shopkey for refernce. im going to try looking again for a previous post on a swap but i dont think i saw a post thats showed form a-z how to do this swap, only scattered info throughout the site and what i written above is what i got out of it. This is my 1st JDM swap, ive done engine and trans changes but that was all plug and play stuff cuz it was exactly the same thing i was putting in that i was takign out of the car, not a diffrent engine/trans so its just a challenge to me which i would enjoy doing but i want to do it right and be prepared. Im about to order everything i need i was just asking if there was somethign i was missing that why i wrote this thread.

I think 2k will get you very close to finishing the swap if you do it your self, But everything you need Driftmotion has it, Finding a 1jz bellhousing its very hard to find, For the clutch, I used a stock pressure plate from a 92 supra & a 6 puck bronze clutch from HPF (Horsepowerfreaks) The harness part is very crucial, I rather spend the money (it probably will cost you around 450)to get it extended by Dr tweak from phoenixtuning.com He will do a great job, He can make all your accessories work properly, Trust me, Extending a harness seems simple but it can create huge problem, If i had the spare 1jz goodies i gave to my friend i'll would have been asking you for your address to ship you the goodies..
Old 12-18-08, 02:36 PM
Jostar
Driver

FYI........... Find a stock MKIV sidemount intercooler & complete stock piping if you are on a budget, they go for cheap...
Old 12-19-08, 12:37 PM
DKNY0331
Driver

Thanks again, i might have to hold off on the intercooler for now until later, its winter here and snowing i dont htink its need a intercooler right now lol. but ill deff look around so far nothing on ebay for a stock one. so far i tallied up to 1800$ in just parts to make that tranny connect to my engine and drive it. clutch set,shift fork,shift fork piviot,shifter and bell housing jus some of the things adding up fast . I was talkign to driftmotion and when i wasked about if they had a special shifter that would make the job easier is they will be selling a shifter that has two adjustable points to bend the shifter he said it be up in the 250 price range, it sounds cool but not available yet till jan.
Old 12-19-08, 01:28 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DKNY0331
Thanks again, i might have to hold off on the intercooler for now until later, its winter here and snowing i dont htink its need a intercooler right now lol.
Might want to add exactly why an I/C is needed also on that list of things to search....
Old 12-19-08, 01:42 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Might want to add exactly why an I/C is needed also on that list of things to search....
LOL sorry but that was funny...

the cliff notes: YOU NEED THE I/C

you can see the other thread on the battle of what type to get.
Old 12-19-08, 02:21 PM
Jostar
Driver

your gonna need a Intercooler no matter what, I was refering to getting a stock one not after market....