Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Yep....... Another exhaust question. [SC400]

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 02:32 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like that cutout thing. I'm wondering if there's a cutout controlled by vacuum. If there is one, then I can think of some turbo manifold using it to function like a sequential turbo system.
Old 08-09-08, 02:36 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I like that cutout thing. I'm wondering if there's a cutout controlled by vacuum. If there is one, then I can think of some turbo manifold using it to function like a sequential turbo system.
nope there is currently one that is electrical and one cable there was a engineer that came though to test a prototype that would open up the cutout based on the amount of pressure from the exhaust flowing through the exhaust
Old 08-09-08, 03:35 PM
MT Photo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay Cbrasian, I guess the point is, I'm not spending a grand on headers.

I'm looking for sound.

It's MY preference.
Old 08-09-08, 04:48 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

300-600 bucks for a manifold is a far cry from 1k...and considering a good quality cutout is about 150-300 depending on manufacture and the labor you'd spend to weld it into place around 150... why not pay an extra 100-200 to get some sound and performance??.......if you hate hearing the truth don't ask on forums for opinons and facts
Old 08-09-08, 08:41 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MT Photo
I surely do appreciate your response, it's the most informative for sure.

So I'd be good with getting a 2.5" cutout?

I never thought about the side exiting problem, but it makes complete sense.

After researching the different companies (QTP it seems, being the most popular) I chose DMH because of the customer service and mainly the 4 year warranty. I'll look into pypes for sure though. QTP has the most hype and least deliverance it seems. Shoddy construction.

I appreciate your response!
Yes, 2.5" for sure. I'd go with the DMH. I might get a DMH, too, soon because there are times I want it fully-open briefly then back to halfway or closed. I used to have a turn-down tip on mine until it came loose somehow and fell off while driving (lol damn). It made the exhaust have maybe a slightly deeper sound and the volume inside the cabin was reduced greatly, compared to fully-open without a turndown. I could and did sometimes daily drive it fully-open with a turndown because it was less annoying-sounding and quieter in the cabin.

Last edited by SClean4; 08-09-08 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-10-08, 12:54 AM
MT Photo
Driver

Yeah, the DMH appears to have a "Flowtech" which is basically just a pipe extension.. I think I'm going to get our fabricator to fab up a longer extension to exit out the passenger side, but not all the way out, because that would look ridiculous. I'm pretty excited though, do you have any more insight into the matter? I think it'd be a pretty cool addition to the car, not to mention it would sound sick.
Old 08-10-08, 03:30 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I have the same Flowtech cutout Y-pipe that comes with the DMH. You could get a tip custom-made for it. After I lost my first turndown I bought another longer tip (on summitracing.com) but it wasn't exactly what I was wanting and couldn't really tell how it would look and fit from the picture, so need to have it cut down a little to basically look like a longer version of my old turndown. It just sounds great with a turndown after watching and hearing some of my old videos I put on YouTube.
Old 08-10-08, 07:46 PM
MT Photo
Driver

For some reason I couldn't figure out that you were the same guy who posted up those videos, it sounds awesome.

Getting a quote tomorrow, but I think I can get it welded up for free. If so, all I have to do is worry about wiring. I need to get a better look at the switch to find out where I can mount it inside the car to make it look OEM as possible. I was thinking I could wire it into the ECT switch so when I put it in "PWR" mode, it opens it. That would make selling the car hilarious. "Oh yeah, and when you put it into sport mode here... *Rumble Rumble Rumble*"
Old 08-10-08, 11:12 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

That would be kinda sweet if you could make it work with the ECT switch or you could just put it somewhere else so you don't have to splice into the factory wiring, etc. I might wire it up myself when/if I get an electric addition, so you might have to write up a simple tutorial/DIY with some pictures of your setup afterwards, where you routed the wires and how to get the switch up into the cabin.
Old 08-10-08, 11:54 PM
MT Photo
Driver

I'll let you know probably tomorrow.

Gotta head up to the shop to get it quoted.

I also gotta check out the new GTR they have in the showroom.

=]
Old 08-11-08, 08:47 PM
MT Photo
Driver

Completely forgot about the quote but...

Old 08-12-08, 02:48 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Niiice. I'm a big GT-R fan. I want to see one, too, at a Nissan dealership or somethin'. Did you have the pleasure of driving it? Nice pics.
Old 08-12-08, 10:21 AM
MT Photo
Driver

Unfortunately, didn't have the pleasure of driving one, but the first guy in the pictures did.

The owner has FOURTEEN of them, selling for profit. I don't think he really even likes the cars, he just wants the $$.
Old 08-16-08, 11:42 PM
MT Photo
Driver

So I figure what I'm going to do is... (And I need input on this one.)

Take out the center cat(Midpipe) and put in a test pipe.
Then I'm going to buy one 2.5" electric cutout and weld that into the test pipe.

That will:
A) When the exhaust is running "normal" it will still be a little louder than stock, due to the deletion of center cat.
B) Save me about 200 bucks on getting just 1 cutout instead of 2.