Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

looking to swap but need allot of help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 05:40 PM
dawizone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to swap but need allot of help

I am complete newb when it comes to engine swaps. I have a 92 sc300, 5spd and i just clipped 200k. I told myself six years ago when it got that high in milage that it was going to become a project car. Well the time has come and after doing some research I havent found any threads that will break down everything needed to swap in a turbo engine. I wont be doing any of the work but i would like to have some knowledge on the procedures when I present to mechanics. Can anyone send me some links that completely breaks down the processand everything needed... Thanx in advance for the help
Old 06-01-08, 08:35 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

like you said everything will not be in one thread its a lot to list and explain, you will have to search and remember that every different turbo engine depending off what car it came from will need to be modified differently to work with an sc. if your going to have it done by a mechanic you might as well search for a shop experienced in this field because the work will be better and take them less time to do which can also save you money.
Old 06-02-08, 07:25 AM
dawizone
Rookie

Default after doing more research

I see there are complete bolt on turbo kits. There averaging around $5k. Is this the best rout? Are there cheaper methods. I see allot of people have done swaps but no one is listing to total cost to complete projects. If a turbo kit is the best option which one is best?
Old 06-02-08, 01:30 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Well without searching I can help influence your choice about which way to go.

200K can either be a death warrant to an engine, or not even a scratch. You need to do a compression test and study the over all health of the motor before you go NA-T.

Doing an engine swap, essentially puts a tried and true engine into your car. The GTEs are boosted and designed to be boosted, in their stock form all the parts work in harmony. If you bolt on a kit for 5K to your GE, your outcome will only be as good as the person who tunes it. While the GE can handle boost easily, its not made for it so you have to find out where/how to tune it.

What kind of power are you looking to achieve?
Old 06-02-08, 07:38 PM
dawizone
Rookie

Im hoping to get between 350 and 400 to the wheels
Old 06-02-08, 08:09 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dry Blaze is putting down like 290ish at 6psi(almost sure). right now he needs a trans but his setup is very simple and definitely cheaper then 5K. if you do your research and piece together a kit and do most of the work yourself you can have a GE-T for about 1500-2000 easy. i was doing the math of GE-T setup and if i was to do it right now it would cost me 450 bucks

if you do a swap then you will need around 3K+labor.

also depending if you do the work yourself or have a shop do it.
Old 06-15-08, 08:08 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
Dry Blaze is putting down like 290ish at 6psi(almost sure). right now he needs a trans but his setup is very simple and definitely cheaper then 5K. if you do your research and piece together a kit and do most of the work yourself you can have a GE-T for about 1500-2000 easy. i was doing the math of GE-T setup and if i was to do it right now it would cost me 450 bucks

if you do a swap then you will need around 3K+labor.

also depending if you do the work yourself or have a shop do it.
I have been doing alot of research and one thing that confuses me alot are the prices that some people mention. Like for instance you mention 3k for just parts before labor. Yet when I go on ebay I see whats listed at a complete swap with everything for <2k with shipping included. When people post the motors and stuff on ebay, are they not complete swaps or something?
Old 06-15-08, 09:58 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy305
I have been doing alot of research and one thing that confuses me alot are the prices that some people mention. Like for instance you mention 3k for just parts before labor. Yet when I go on ebay I see whats listed at a complete swap with everything for <2k with shipping included. When people post the motors and stuff on ebay, are they not complete swaps or something?
From what I have noticed, people who buy the engine/tranny from ebay or other places. Will spend more money on parts that the shop "forgot" to ship out or parts they need to fix. From what I was told before was getting a front clip of the vehicle you want. Put some money a side for any possible hurdle. I suppose if you get a soarer front clip and get your shop to swap it over (assuming auto to auto or 5 speed to 5 speed) it would be the easiest and lower the risk of anything missing.