Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'92 SC300 HG -- Let go! Need Advice now!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 05:36 PM
speedrace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 SC300 HG -- Let go! Need Advice now!

Well,

My optimism after having found the bad radiator cap was short-lived. I drove it 120 miles today, and on the return trip it started to run up in temp the last 5 miles. I popped the hood, and the overflow tank had filled up and there was overspray from the tanks dump tube. So I need to fix it this weekend. Before you guys tell me to just yank the motor and fit a turbo-unit, I'll tell you that is not an option here in Northern California. I have to keep it NA.

What I DO NEED is sound advice on what is the best head gasket kit out there (or combo of individual gaskets and pieces) to re-fit when I pull the head. I'll check it for straightness with a straight-edge and feeler gages, and inspect it for any other damage.

I'm assuming I just set the engine at TDC on #1 cylinder, pull the shrouds and cam cover off to verify the camshaft index marks line up -- so I know where to line everything up when I put it back together. Same with the distributor body.

I've done many head gasget replacements on many engines over the years ---just not a Toyota/Lexus I-6 of this vintage. Are there any other tricks or things to be aware of?

Old 04-02-08, 05:49 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear….

But if you search…

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...00+head+gasket

Old 04-03-08, 07:45 AM
speedrace
Rookie

Default Thanks Lexiss -- for the Links

Man.. maybe I should just find a good low mileage GE and swap the entire motor.....
Old 04-05-08, 12:32 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

If you are in socal there are tons of junk yards in the sun valley area which have 2jz's laying around. you could probably get one for a few hundred bucks, if your interested call me up and I'll call around and get some more info for you.

-Tommy
Old 04-05-08, 01:57 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

get a cometic metal head gasket and toyota gasket kit. if you know anyone working for the dealer they can hook you up for a good price. if your motor is low mileage then just do the major seal and gaskets and keep driving.

if you think you might go turbo soon then get arp head studs, cometic head gasket(thicker one to lowe CR), and put it all back together.

it all depends on the purpose of your car and the goals you have for it.
Old 04-05-08, 03:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I've got an extra GE headgasket laying around. I bought a rebuild kit for my motor and used most of the stuff besides the headgasket. I had used a 1.9mm cometic since I'm going turbo again.

I'll sell it to you really cheap if you need it.

However, that being said, I doubt you blew your gasket. If anything you've got a loose bolt or warped your head. The GE gasket is metal and is very strong.

Last edited by Bean; 04-05-08 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-17-08, 09:28 AM
speedrace
Rookie

Default Which brand of head gasket is the best for the $$

An update.

I have a JDM 2JZGE on a engine stand next to the original engine. As I had to pull the oil pan off the original (the used engine had a forward-sump one on it)-- I decided to pull one main cap, and one rod cap. I found a main bearing shell with a small contaminent embedded in the the soft babbit, so I've decided to fit new clevite 77 main and rod bearing shells as this is the time to do it and it's a rather straightforward job.

Then as I was looking at the engine, I thought that it probably makes sense to go ahead and pull the cylinder head, decarbonize the chambers and piston crowns -- and fit a new gasket.

I'm wondering if there is a higher performance gasket (longer life--better sealing) than the original metal one. I know Elring makes a good composite head gasket for other engines, but not sure they make a Toyota one. I've read about the Cometic multi-layer. I don't really care if I lose a little compression ratio on this engine. It's all about reliability.

Those of you that use thicker gaskets on the NA engine do this because you are going the FI route. But I'm just looking for the best quality replacement item here.
Old 04-17-08, 12:02 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go OE or Cometic....