Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Centerforce DF clutch on NA-T?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 06:47 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Centerforce DF clutch on NA-T?

Looking for some opinions on the Centerforce DF clutch for boosted SC300s. I've suffered the drivability of a carbon/ceramic/bronze/ blah blah blah puck style setup for some years now. Holds the power, but is absolutely brutal in terms of rough release, chatter, noise, etc. I don't race anymore, so I don't need something that will survive clutch drops, but it does need to hold 350-425rwhp when driven with mild lift throttle shifts.

I'm hoping the Centerforce DF will be tame enough to not **** off the wife, yet still hold a decent amount of boosted power.

Any NA-T guys out there with this clutch care to comment or give a review about it?

TIA
Old 04-01-08, 02:58 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had one when I first went NA-T. It's an extremely tame clutch and I'd recommend it to anybody staying NA with the car. Barely feels any stiffer than stock, but feels solid and confident...

...until you start throwing power at it. The clutch had maybe 3000 NA miles on it, we took it off and it looked just fine before the first time I drove it with the NA-T setup. I don't think I was making any ridiculous amount of power but it was likely in the area of your 425whp number.

In no time it was slipping above 40-50% throttle. It went out in a blaze of glory smoking out the street and my garage pouring smoke from the transmission.

I switched to a Competition Clutch stage 4 per the recommendation of Josh@FSM/TheQuickness. It's definitely more harsh but at least I'm not worried about the clutch anymore.
Old 04-01-08, 05:12 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the writeup. Sure wish someone made a real clutch for this vehicle. I've been through two RPS clutches, one HPF clutch which is on there now. The Horsepower Freaks clutch is an ACT plate on a carbon / ceramic sprung disk. It holds the power, but is brutal to drive everyday. Chatters really bad, squeals some too. The only two positives: it hasn't broken, and it holds the power.

Anyone have any non-chattering recommendations for NA-T that will hold some power without that knive edge release? I wish Tilton made a carbon-carbon setup for the W58. I'd pay $2k for a great clutch, but then you're close to the price of a used 6-speed.
Old 04-01-08, 05:49 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my experience with a Centerforce dual friction. Summary: Great driveability, but didn't even hold 5psi after break-in. Switched it out for a HPF bronze and I like it so far, though it is more difficult to drive.

My thread about it in Supraforums: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=479942

If you still want to go for the dual friction, I'm looking to sell mine

Those are nutso pics Gunnar!
Old 04-01-08, 08:07 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The Exedy website alludes to an application for the W58 Supra 1993-1998 non-turbo.

Oddly it seems that they have a twin disk setup available. Has anyone looked into those? Looks like around $2k. Horsepower freaks lists the clutch on their site as well.

Here is the web page that suggests that they have a twin disk for the W58:

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/TM042SD

It may be a misprint...
Old 04-01-08, 08:26 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

oh stop your complaining. "someone needs to make a real clutch for our cars?" there are real clutches. a real clutch is not fun to drive and you just have to live with that. its not that bad. until you drive a 600hp foxbody mustang with a centerforce stage 6(or something ridiculous like that) everything is cake. with that clutch you have to have your back on the seat to push it.

real clutches are noisy, chattery, clunky, and rough to drive. if you dont wanna deal with it dont make any kind of power over stock.

your question needs to be rephrased to "does anyone make a real clutch that i will like?"
Old 04-01-08, 09:17 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

I have posted numerous times on this forum that the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch is not designed to handle na-t power levels. It's aggravating to hear people on many forums recommending this clutch for na-t cars when Centerforce own technicians don't recommend it for na-t power levels! If you want something solid and streetable, try the ACT pressure plate with Southbend feramic disc (full face or sprung 6 puck depending on how you'll use the car). I'm "beta" testing the new southbend clutch setup (southbend pressure plate + sprung 6 puck feramic disc) with the R154 transmission and so far so good...I'll post a more conclusive update on my Blog once I've retuned the car for more power.
Old 04-01-08, 09:36 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have that in my car as well. I'm N/A for now though, but I'll probably use it for my 1jz swap. I just hope it can hold the power. Its been a really great clutch. A lot of my friends say its easier to drive than their stock setups.
Old 04-01-08, 10:22 PM
turbosw20
Pole Position

I just got the Competition Clutch stage 4 it's highly recommended so will see!
Old 04-02-08, 01:05 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosw20
I just got the Competition Clutch stage 4 it's highly recommended so will see!
Same here. It's fairly aggressive but pretty similar to an ACT-style 6-puck like I have in my DD and my old AE86.