Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU chipped?? and other q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 02:09 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU chipped?? and other q's

Hello,

I was looking over my gte and I found something interesting on the ECU. Seems to me that this ecu is chipped, or are all gte's from japan come with a Mines guarantee plaque. I assume the previous owner did this, and I was wondering if there is any way I can tell exactly WHAT he did if this ecu is indeed chipped.

Also, this other question may be a very noob question, but I'll try not to get flamed.

This steel braided line, where does it go? I figured it goes to an external FPR. If so does that mean I need one? I have no fittings that fit into this line so I was wondering if I need it. I checked my GE motor for a similar fuel hose placement, and it seems it just goes towards the rear of the car. I apologize if this is retardedly dumb.

One more thing. I searched, but have not seen a solid answer. Obviously this engine has traction control, denoted by the "ETCS" near the throttle bodies. So this engine came with a traction control ecu. I was hoping I could just leave the ecu plugs unplugged since my sc300 doesn't have trac control.

JDM harness = ecu plug extensions. If I could just do away with the TC ecu, then I would not have to extend that ecu plug. I will do the extension if I have to, but who wants to do unneeded work?

I can see that having a used engine is pretty much a gamble. You could have stuff that was already done to the engine, and you wouldn't even know what it was. Hopefully this gamble turns into an advantage.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 03-21-08, 07:46 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i cant help much but by having that plaque that states that the ecu has been chipped by mines and is a very nice ecu/tune. the stainless line is going from fuel rail and should go to external AFPR.
Old 03-22-08, 11:45 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Trac does not have to be extended nice ecu worth about 500 dollars.
Old 03-22-08, 05:35 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep ur mines ecu u will like it is baddass and better than the blitz access ecu
Old 03-22-08, 08:55 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

sweet! I guess I hit a small jackpot on these jdm gamble engines.

DrewSC. Does this mean I can leave it unplugged? Know that this is a JDM gte, so if I don't extend it I would assume that the ecu will be stuck in the engine bay instead of under the glove box.

Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited by lemmiewink; 03-22-08 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-24-08, 06:09 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

any info about the trac ecu? Also, what has to be done to modify the usdm tt downpipe to fit jdm twins. Reclock a flange? Re route piping?? I searched but there was no conclusive answers.
Old 03-24-08, 06:33 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

You can leave the trac ecu unplugged with no negative effects. The flange on the usdm is different from the jdm. Don't quote me on this but i recall reading somewhere about enlarging the bolt hole to fit.

Good find on the ecu but i would try to contact mines to see if they have records of what mods were done. I would be weary running it if it has a more aggressive timing map since it would be tuned for the octane in japan. I have no personal experiences with JDM chipped ecu's so im just throwing the idea out there.
Old 03-25-08, 08:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

put the best fuel you can find in there when you start it
Old 03-25-08, 08:32 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Do you know what size injectors are in there?
Old 03-25-08, 11:08 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Just found this on MKIV.com.....

"If the car was fitted with an aftermarket ECU while it was still in Japan, it will almost certainly have been programmed to take advantage of the 100RON fuel over there (ie boost increased, timing advanced to the max), which means that it will just ping & detonate itself to death when it’s brought down here. Avoid unless you’ve got a stock ECU handy."

RON I believe is their octane measurement and according wikipedia, haha, our octane measurements is 4-5 less then their RON measurements. i.e. 91 octane here is about 95-96 RON in Japan. So if it is indeed tuned for 100RON, 94-95 octane in the states. I think the highest they have here in texas is 93?? or was it 91.. I don't remember and I'll have to check, but does this mean I might need octane booster? Do I have to start thinking about methanol injection?

I emailed Mine's Motorsports so hopefully I get a clear answer.

Also cherplex, I assume my injectors are the stock jdm 440cc, is there any way to tell?
Old 03-26-08, 09:47 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

The Mines ECU was tuned for a specific setup on that motor, and unless you're running that setup, it's of no use to you. I get those MINES ECU's all the time when I do RB swaps. Yes, they do have boost and timing increases, but many of them are mapped for other turbos/exhausts/intake mods, etc, and have modified airflow maps. I put one in and threw it on the dyno to test it, and it had the car running at 13:1. I would go get a stock ecu, and sell that thing, unless you're 100% sure of what it's doing, and what upgrades it's modified for. If you can do that, then maybe it's worth keeping.
Old 03-26-08, 10:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

well if the motor does have upgrades, wouldn't it be a better idea to run the mines ECU then a stock one? you might not even be able to get it to run with just the stock ECU by itself if there are major mods

boosting your octane isn't that hard or expensive.
Old 03-26-08, 11:20 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

I believe that the ECU tune is for this particular motor. Unless it was swapped in before the motor was shipped. As for the mods, the only evident one that I can see, is the steel line that goes to an FPR, which I am accomadating. ( I figure if the upgrades are there, why not take advantage of it) I was not going to get a wideband since I was expecting an all stock motor. Should I get one now that I realize that stuff has been done to this computer and motor?
Old 09-03-08, 06:53 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Well, engines in the car. Now wiring headaches are setting in. Its not cranking, the fuel pump is not priming (I've done the 12v fp ecu bypass before the swap)

Wierdest thing is that the check engine light doesn't come on when I turn the key.

Is there any way to test the ecu while it is unplugged?

I opened up the Mine's ecu to see any obvious flaws, but it looks good to the point of pristine condition. But, I know little about how these computers can go bad.
Old 09-03-08, 08:39 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

sounds like your ecu isnt getting power. check for power to ecu.

Quick Reply: ECU chipped?? and other q's