Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Oil Change ... What a Breeze!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 06:26 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Oil Change ... What a Breeze!

I just completed a complete oil/filter change on my new SC400. The previous owner told me that it was due ... so I did it. Except for the fact that you have to remove approximately 15 bolts to remove the plastic engine shield underneath the engine it was a breeze. The filter is nice and convenient to remove too.

Some things I found interesting:

- My hydraulic jack lacked the required clearance under the engine bay to lift the car so get this ... I jacked up the car using both rear-side points. This raised the car enough for me to get my jack stands (with wood inserts) under the front jack points. Then I lowered the jack and proceeded to the other side.

- I added 5 quarts of Syntec and found that there was enough room to (probably) add another half-quart. My manual states that the oil capacity of this engine is 5.1 US quarts, with a filter change. Interesting.

Does anyone know of the recommended oil/filter change schedule when using synthetic (or partially synthetic) oil. Is it 5, 6 or 7,000 miles? How many months if you don't drive that much?
Old 03-09-08, 07:10 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdud
Some things I found interesting:

- My hydraulic jack lacked the required clearance under the engine bay to lift the car so get this ... I jacked up the car using both rear-side points. This raised the car enough for me to get my jack stands (with wood inserts) under the front jack points. Then I lowered the jack and proceeded to the other side.

- I added 5 quarts of Syntec and found that there was enough room to (probably) add another half-quart. My manual states that the oil capacity of this engine is 5.1 US quarts, with a filter change. Interesting.

Does anyone know of the recommended oil/filter change schedule when using synthetic (or partially synthetic) oil. Is it 5, 6 or 7,000 miles? How many months if you don't drive that much?
-When jacking up your car, get some wood blocks to drive up on to with either front or rear, whatever you need. That's what I found I had to do.

-Have all the seals been replaced recently or at all for that matter? And has there been conventional oil in there all the time before or synthetic? If you just decided to switch from dino oil to synthetic you might want to rethink that as seals might start going bad or blow a gasket from deterioration. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Full synthetic is somewhere around 10k but most people don't trust it that long no matter how good it is. Still do another oil change in 3k miles to see if there is any buildup of gunk if it was just swtiched over between the oils.
Old 03-09-08, 07:43 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually been searching threads the passed few weeks because I plan on changing my own oil but can't seem to figure out whether my engine is using conventional or synthetic oil... I would assume conventional but not certain. Also wondering which brand of oil to go with since there are so many to choose from and different ones recommended by people. Also, I've read to have one side higher/lower than the other for the oil to drain better.

Last edited by SClean4; 02-07-09 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-09-08, 07:48 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewwake
Full synthetic is somewhere around 10k but most people don't trust it that long no matter how good it is.
I did about 8k or so last time before a change. The oil wasn't that much darker than when I first put it in. Needless to say, its good . *NOTE (I also drive my car for the most part very very gently, so I hardly put any pressure on it).
Old 03-09-08, 08:08 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SClean4
I've actually been searching threads the passed few weeks because I plan on changing my own oil but can't seem to figure out which brand of oil to go with... since there are so many to choose from and different ones recommended by people. Also, I've read to have one side higher/lower than the other for the oil to drain better.

I got a great "combo" deal at Autozone. I picked up 5 quarts of Syntec and a Mobil1 premium filter for $26. Got to their website, look for their sales flyer, type in your ZIP code and you can view their specials.
Old 03-10-08, 04:01 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

i'm going to do a oil change in about 1,000 miles more. picked up my car at like 111,000 miles and i'm at about 112,000 miles now. and my mechanic said the oil looked pretty good still at the time. so gonna switch to mobil 1 and just have to find a filter later. K&N or Mobil 1, which ever i can find.

anyways...is the oil filter itself under the car too? cuz i can't see it from the top and i've never went under it yet.

Peace out
Old 03-10-08, 05:50 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I normally use Mobil 1 and i run it for 5-7k miles but Im trying Quaker State Syn that I got for 2 for 1 awhile ago. Probably wont make a difference, but I will run this somewhere between 3-5K miles.
Old 03-10-08, 06:24 AM
Knightridr
Pole Position

im a Royal Purple fan but I will try Amosil this time. But I think this car has coventional oil. So what i do/will do is go to synthetic blend first check for leaks and next oil change then go to full synthetic. I was told that is a good way to switvh to full synthetic without damaging seals etc.
Old 03-10-08, 09:07 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by breakb
i'm going to do a oil change in about 1,000 miles more. picked up my car at like 111,000 miles and i'm at about 112,000 miles now. and my mechanic said the oil looked pretty good still at the time. so gonna switch to mobil 1 and just have to find a filter later. K&N or Mobil 1, which ever i can find.

anyways...is the oil filter itself under the car too? cuz i can't see it from the top and i've never went under it yet.

Peace out

The filter is very near the center bottom of the engine, facing right (when you are under the car). It sits horizontally and is very easy to get to ... especially if you have a tight filter.
Old 03-10-08, 12:20 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

alright thanks man. gonna have fun changing oil when the time comes, lol. i usually fall asleep under the car watching the oil drain. =P

Peace out
Old 03-10-08, 01:41 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Is this a real post?
Old 03-10-08, 06:24 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

yes, lol. and dam i'm changing my oil now but the plug is bein a biotch, lol. whoever did it last torqued it down TIGHT.

Peace out
Old 04-01-08, 11:30 AM
jayrod4168
Driver School Candidate

i have an 92 sc4 and ready to change my oil. what size socket is needed to remove the engine shield on the bottom of the car?
Old 10-18-08, 12:32 PM
scoarer400
Driver

just did my first oil change for the sc400.. i see that you said that the manual states to add up to 5.1 qts. of oil... so does this mean that 4.5 is too little?
Old 10-18-08, 12:39 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you guys take the shield off? lol. I just rinse it off good when I'm done, there's plenty of room to change the filter from the top.

Quick Reply: SC400 Oil Change ... What a Breeze!