Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97-00 SC400 BFI questions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 02:28 PM
98supra6sp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this mod work? Please give me your thoughts and ideas!!

A fabricator and I have been examining the front air supply on my 98 SC400 and were trying to figure out another way to make a BFI. We see that the air comes in from the factory upper grille and than is swirled around and than comes in contact with the OEM plastic radiator air deflector. Would it not make more sense to enlarge the factory snorkel and bend it towards the front of the bumper where the grille is. I do not see how a whole lot of air can enter from behind the passenger headlight. We decided to cut a large square inlet hole into the factory box and than extend a fabricated plastic snorkel from behind the passenger side headlight, and than it makes a slight bend towards the inside center of the bumper. We made a mock mold of this piece and when finished, it will be easily removable-two bolts. This one will be made of either fiberglass or resin / ABS. I have read every single post that I could find on the SC 300/400 BFI modification, and none seem to be on the 97-00 cars. Has anyone tried a similar method. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here. We just think that re-directing the air straight into the sealed factory airbox would net us the most gains. This so-called snorkel is much less restrictive than the OEM one due to being much wider and larger and drawing air directly from behind the grille. I have to imagine that this setup should be able to handle a much greater amount of airflow. I am looking for any input from those of you out there that might actually have a 97-00 front bumper cover that have attempted some form of BFI mod. I wanted this system to be as close to 100% sealed as possible. Thanks!!

Last edited by 98supra6sp; 03-08-08 at 05:31 PM.