Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to bleed air out of the cooling system - 92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 02:53 AM
sydwys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to bleed air out of the cooling system - 92 SC400

I have searched the forums and have seen everyting from parking your car on a steep hill to revving it with the coolant cap off. My question is: what is the most effective way to get all of the air out of the cooling system? Or, what is the recommended manufacturer's procedure to get it out? I recently had to replace my radiator due to a crack which developed on the top tank. Used Havoline Dex-Cool anti-freeze which is one of the better products out there. I know our cars take about 3 gallons but only 2 gallons went in. I am guessing either there was still some of the old coolant remaining in the block or there are air bubbles which did not yet get out of the system. The temp needle staying higher than its usual place leads me to lean towards the air bubble side. Your input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-18-08, 05:48 AM
The Reaper
Driver School Candidate

park the car on an incline with the engine being the highest side. turn your heat on full blast to open the heater core (lots of air stays trapped in there) then let it run with the cap off and watch the fun!

Works everytime with my 1J supra
Old 02-18-08, 06:39 PM
sydwys
Driver School Candidate

Tks for the reply. How long does it take your car to burp all the air out of the system? Also, do you keep it idling or steady at a higher rpm?
Old 02-19-08, 09:27 AM
surferlife
Driver

Open up the coolant reseviour when you do this. ur car has to get to operating temp b4 it starts to burp. you can tell when its done when no more bubbles come out of the reseviour. you may need to add more coolant when finished.
Old 02-19-08, 03:30 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forget what everyone just told you and buy one of these:

Spill-free funnel kit. Matco has them, Snap-on has them, you can probably find them at a Pepboys or Autozone.

different adapters for different applications.

keep filling it until the coolant/water stays half way up the funnel.
start the car with the heater on.
let the car idle with the occasional rev and 3000rpm hold for 5 seconds.
add coolant if needed.
keep and eye on your coolant temp gauge during this process
a good way to tell if its done is if there are no more air bubbles, coolant gauge is at operating temp, and your heater is blowing hot.

this funnel when full, makes it the highest point in the cooling system, which is why air will escape. thats why everyone tells you to jack up the front, etc.

no jacking up required here, shouldnt take any longer than 15mins, and you're system will be topped off. Also, opening the drain petcock at the bottom of the radiator while leaving the radiator cap on will create a vacuum and empty your resevoir for you. easy!

use the plug and hold the funnel over your resevoir, using the remainder of the coolant to fill your resevoir up, and dont worry about going a little over the full line, leaves room for any additional bubbles that might burp out when driving.

Last edited by Spooled; 02-19-08 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-31-08, 09:00 PM
klein4896
Driver School Candidate

Default How Do You Add Coolant On A 94 Sc400????

Were Do You Add Coolant To A 1994 Sc400 It SayS On The Coolant Overflow Bottle To Add At The Front Of Engine!!!any Help Would Be Great!!! Thx
Old 09-01-08, 03:07 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open the radiator cap run the car and make sure the radiator is full the bubbles will bleed out and add fluid when needed also put a tray underneath the city doesn't care for you to dump coolant in the drainage... and for kicks you can use redline water wetter too with a 70/30 water to coolant mix or run straitght distilled with water wetter and a little bit or coolant.
Old 10-10-08, 07:42 AM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

HELP my SC400 the heater only blows out cold air I just replaced the radiator and it was working aftwards but now its not

any ideas mabey a large air bubble?
Old 10-10-08, 06:03 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Man this is a SC400 and nobody mentioned the bleeder right above the thermostat housing come on! I think it is either a 12mm or 14mm bleeder bolt that is on the highest point of the engine. That bleeds most of the system out. Please try to stay away from leaving the coolant cap open. You will burn the hell out of yourself. I like the no spill filler we have those at work they work real well. Mentioned before you can hold it around 3000 rpms for a couple minutes till is heats up.That or just hold the throttle body cable so it revs and you can watch the coolant resvoir at the same time. Once you got most of the air out you can also compress the upper hose numerous times which helps out a lot. Use the bleeder on the top of the motor last. Once coolant starts coming out you should be good. For the guy with the heating issue. You could possibly have a air pocket in the heater core. Make sure that your blend air door is working properly cause if that doesn't move no air will move threw the heater core. Hope it works out for you.
Old 11-25-08, 11:20 AM
ocaban
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to thank you guys for this thread. I had the no heat issue and resolved it thanks to the input here i.e bleading the system. Have a great Thanksgiving, I live in New England so now that my heat is working again I will to.