Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Magnaflows stock or with new pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 10:17 PM
sneakyazn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflows stock or with new pipes?

Got a set of Magnaflow mufflers 14829. Checking to see your opinion on putting in new pipes or to just have them welded on? I'm not really planning on doing any engine mods and I had read from Jibby's post that swapping out the pipes with larger ones may decrease performance. As you can tell, I'm definitely a newbie that knows nothing about cars. (Not even sure if "pipes" is the correct term.) so I'm relying on your input. I'm just trying to figure out if I might as well do it now as opposed to welding on the mufflers to the current stock setup.
Old 09-20-07, 10:52 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

well maybe just maybe. if u use the same size of piping size it might not decrease performance. 3" is wayyy to big for a stock vehicle. sooo ummm 2.25" ??????
just putting in my 2 cents. sorry if i wasnt any help.
Old 09-21-07, 06:33 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sneakyazn
Got a set of Magnaflow mufflers 14829. Checking to see your opinion on putting in new pipes or to just have them welded on? I'm not really planning on doing any engine mods and I had read from Jibby's post that swapping out the pipes with larger ones may decrease performance. As you can tell, I'm definitely a newbie that knows nothing about cars. (Not even sure if "pipes" is the correct term.) so I'm relying on your input. I'm just trying to figure out if I might as well do it now as opposed to welding on the mufflers to the current stock setup.
I am trying to understand your post So you just bought new mufflers and want to know if you should cut off your stock mufflers and weld them in place, or whether you should replace all of your exhaust piping as well???

If this is your question then let me ask you this. Are you going for sound? Are you going for performance? Looks?

If you are not planning on putting a lot of money into mods, just have them welded on. If you are, but not going turbo, then you could replace your piping with some mandrel bent 2.25"

Jonny
Old 09-21-07, 09:27 AM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did it cost to get your exhaust made?
Old 09-21-07, 09:53 AM
sneakyazn
Driver

Ahh thank you DX3, you answered my question precisely. I won't be doing any major engine modifications, I just wanted a bit deeper sound, but wanted to make sure it didn't sound like a civic rice rocket. I used to drive a mustang and have grown accustomed to the deeper growl and kind of want to keep it that way. I may be doing minor upgrades such as an intake or torque convertor, but in regards to supercharging it etc. I don't see that happening.
Old 09-21-07, 11:03 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Ahh thank you DX3, you answered my question precisely. I won't be doing any major engine modifications, I just wanted a bit deeper sound, but wanted to make sure it didn't sound like a civic rice rocket. I used to drive a mustang and have grown accustomed to the deeper growl and kind of want to keep it that way. I may be doing minor upgrades such as an intake or torque convertor, but in regards to supercharging it etc. I don't see that happening.
If you want a little more sound then you could have the resonators removed - but it may make you fail certain state mandated checks...

JOnny
Old 09-21-07, 11:47 AM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Check my sound clip... this is with those mufflers and a resonator delete... Sounds pretty good imo. Also check the thread i made about buying new cats i also have a video in there.
Old 09-21-07, 02:23 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't be doing any major engine modifications, I just wanted a bit deeper sound, but wanted to make sure it didn't sound like a civic rice rocket.
Do you have a 3L or the V8?

If you have the V8, it will be almost impossible to sound like a rice rocket, especially through a Magnaflow. The 3L will be very tough to sound ricey through a Magnaflow as well. Although, the six does have a different tone than the eight, it still sounds a hell of a lot different than the 1.8L fours farting all over the roadways with their 103hp of exhaust flow.

I either case, I would at least remove the resonators and replace the mufflers. Replacing the mufflers alone will primarily adjust tone and not significantly alter sound volume. I am currently on stock mufflers with the resonators deleted, and it sounds like an OEM V8 Mustang.

Without swapping headers, there is not much to gain in the way of performance from a catback only; although you could pick up a few horse and a good deal of throttle response. 2.25" crust-bent pipe gives PLENTY of room for the exhaust gases to efficicently evacuate the system. That pipe size is considered conventional for the SC.
Old 09-21-07, 03:17 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My clip is from... Stock headers , Stock Cats, X-Pipe, Mufflers

Its when I first got it, the sound has changed a little, I should make a new video.
Old 09-21-07, 03:29 PM
sneakyazn
Driver

Damn, I wish I had one of you guys as my neighbor that could advise me on all this, hopefully there will be a few more meets around the bay area. I'm driving an sc400, its a relief to hear that I wont sound like a civic. Will deleting the resonators make it really loud in the cabin? I'm still on the stock sound system which isn't too loud and I do enjoy the ability to listen to music...
Old 09-21-07, 03:58 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe this will help. Here is a video and some pictures of my 95 SC400 with custom piping, and magnaflow exhaust

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...b18exhaust.flv

Jonny
Old 09-21-07, 05:42 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will deleting the resonators make it really loud in the cabin? I'm still on the stock sound system which isn't too loud and I do enjoy the ability to listen to music...
Not a bit. By not altering the geometry of the stock exhaust with only a resonator delete, you actually give yourself the best chance of not inheriting a drone.

I have stock mufflers with resonators deleted. It cost me $40 at the local exhaust shop and took them all of 30min.

Here is the sound clip:
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...ation_0001.flv
Old 09-22-07, 12:08 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

I, too, deleted the resonators on my SC400 (thx to the advice and videos from ClubLexus members) and I've been happy with the results from that. It's a slight volume change, but it's noticeable. I'm looking into maybe one or two more exhaust modifications to really let this Lexus V8 roar. But I'm really stuck on what to do next to make the exhaust sound even better and louder for as little money as possible: Magnaflow cat(s)? Y- or X-pipe? Mod to mufflers area (cutouts, etc.)?

Last edited by SClean4; 09-22-07 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-22-07, 12:28 AM
sneakyazn
Driver

You guys are awesome, the amount of knowledge with the various configurations is amazing. Thanks DX3 and Jibby. I guess I'll look for a local place that can delete the resonators and weld my Magnaflows on.
Old 09-22-07, 02:09 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eVa0vT3-P3I

Here's mine... Stock piping with 2 deleted resonators and RMM exhaust.

Quick Reply: Magnaflows stock or with new pipes?