Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tweak tip for auto Sc shifting!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 04:18 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this to my SC300 auto. One will notice that the main TPS is already tilted pretty far to the left, so you can rotate it as far left as possible and you will notice very, very smooth shifts and a wider powerband like OLT said.

Highly recommended.

Great job!
Old 11-27-07, 04:44 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Just tried this out for myself. Thanks for the tip, no more harsh engagement. I'll have to take it around the block when the roads dry up to see how the transmission behaves.
Old 11-27-07, 09:45 PM
lxsv8
Rookie

Everyone that has tried this has mentioned that there is no harsh jolt into gear - but how does the car drive overall? Has anyone tried this adustment that has been running a piggyback ECU?
Old 11-28-07, 08:08 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I definitely will give this one a try! I've been pretty annoyed with most of the symptoms that you guys have mentioned, especially the jolt when you first put it into gear. I also hear that there is a way to adjust the transmission throttle cable which may have similar effects, but I'm not sure if it's the same as this, I'll see if I can find the original article.
Old 11-28-07, 12:35 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hmm then what explains those.. CRAZY Jolts that happen once every other week?

like i remember warming up my car.. n then got in to drive. Pop it in reverse holdin on brake. n BAM the car jolts back like.. a big sudden shock.

wierd? or something is bad?

but this mod.. has anyone turned it right?? haha
Old 02-09-08, 10:07 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really?! smoother shifting! YES!!! haha i hate it when it's going from 1st to 2nd gear and it sorta shifts hard. gonna try it sometime next week. monday or tuesday cuz no work. thanks for the tip.

Peace out
Old 02-09-08, 11:15 PM
Knightridr
Pole Position

i wish my car was out of the body shop. I would try this in a heartbeat. My car also does the jolt from park to reverse. but my gears shift smooth as butter.
Old 02-10-08, 02:02 AM
rootaku
Rookie

Editing my post, seems like my TPS is facing completely to the right just about and I do have hard gear changes, So I'll try this out but, it seems like the wiring is already pulled to its max length as in I don't know how i'm going to move it if the wires won't reach anymore. Guess I'll have to dig around that area a little, I don't wanna tug on it and it pops itself out of somewhere or something >_<?

Last edited by rootaku; 02-12-08 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 02:25 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok, so today i tried this. i turned it counter clock wise. still has a jolt everyone once in a while, and it still jolts when it's going from 1st to 2nd. but. my accleration to the foot pedal is much better. except when i gased it on this straight away near my house, it only went up to like 5k rpm. idk if it's a fail safe thing or sumtin, but i'mma tweak with it more tommorrow. move it around a lil more and see what happens.

Peace out
Old 02-14-08, 12:16 AM
rootaku
Rookie

I messed with it a bit more today, I don't think I can move it really much, the wire that connects to it is at its limit and with the 2 screws removed, i could only manage to move it about a quarter of an inch. If the wire was longer I still don't see how I could slowly move it though since I won't be able to lock it back into place unless its ok to have it not screwed back in? Maybe it's just my SC300. Any insight on this? Unless I've been messing with the wrong component <_<.. But I don't think I am.... In the picture I posted above, the thing with the red arrow is indeed the TPS correct? as pictured in O.L.T's initial post.
Old 02-14-08, 01:24 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

yeah it is restricted. but when i did it i noticed my pedal was more sensative. like not as much lag. it did take away some of the jolting from the shifting to like D and R. but i think it might be motor mounts.

Peace out
Old 10-21-08, 01:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Now with video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3-DfW2ouGA

(sorry I have a cold right now so I can't breathe to speak clearly. LOL)

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-21-08 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-21-08, 02:06 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

lol was that you? sounded like you got a cold
Old 10-21-08, 02:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I do..... Can't breathe at all. Plus the video is accelerated 1.5x with the processor I had to do it on since I wasn't near my mac so it's all screwed up.. meh... I don't care.
Old 10-21-08, 05:59 PM
OneSickSC
Driver

yea i having a problem with my sc4 sometimes at WOT it shifts at 5k....you think doin this trick would help me?

Quick Reply: Tweak tip for auto Sc shifting!