Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which is SC4 is best for boosting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 09:06 PM
DoMaMuy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is SC4 is best for boosting?

Even though this this most likely has been covered already, I can't seem to find it through Search...

I've decided on an SC400 as my first car, since I've been a huge fan of them since I was little, and I love what I hear about the 1UZ. I'm very interested in a twin turbo build-up in the future (most likely far future), or maybe just supercharging it. I just want to know which SC400 is best for the application.

-Are the earlier model SC400s with OBD-I better suited?
-Are the VVT-i engines good to boost as well, and is OBD-II going to cause me any difficulties?
-Are the non-VVTi and VVTi 1UZs both as strong? I ask this because I read that the non-VVTi 2JZ-GEs are stronger than the VVTi 2JZ-GEs.

I've heard about MechTech's twin turbo build-up, and also the STS remote mount turbo kits that are universal, but still need hardware and substantial work to install.

Any constructive contribution is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-07, 10:18 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pre-VVTi SC400's have rods that are more stout than the newer VVTi 1UZ, 2UZ, and 3UZ. However, if you are thinking in the way of a Twin Turbo, that would not be a concern as you would really want to rebuild the engine so that your turbos can actually work to capacity. VVT-i and OBD-II do not become a huge hinderance until you are putting down some serious boost.

I would not hesitate to buy an old, high mileage SC400 with a good body and interior to use the extra money for a full engine rebuild in anticipation of a twin turbo set up. There are options out there, but they are almost entirely custom. Two snails in a small engine bay coming off each side of the engine lends itself for a piping nightmare unless you really know what you are doing.

However, the SC300 is significantly easier to build up for power. As cool as the stuff is that you see about the 1UZ, it is neither easy nor expensive to work with. On the other hand, the upgrade path for the SC300 is really well defined for easy, cheap (in comparison) power. This should give you an idea of what the 3L can do: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...450025baa6.htm. As far as I know, no SC400 is close to running in the tens.
Old 06-28-07, 10:24 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before anyone says, and i know you did, but search a little harder. i came up with a few things before as i am in this same boat.

92-96 are the better years for FI. 95 and 96 are rated with 10 more hp than the earlier ones but if you are FI them then it doesn't really matter.

-Are the VVT-i engines good to boost as well, and is OBD-II going to cause me any difficulties?
VVT-i is going to give you problems with boost, or at least be much more costly and time consuming, be it turbo or supercharger.
OBD-I and II are going to give you error codes if you don't do the modifications properly, just with II you can read them without having to go to a dealer.

-Are the non-VVTi and VVTi 1UZs both as strong?
Internally, i believe i heard from somewhere that the block thickness is smaller in the VVT-i engines so boost is not as as practical.

I've heard about MechTech's twin turbo build-up, and also the STS remote mount turbo kits that are universal, but still need hardware and substantial work to install.

Twin turbo under the hood would be nice, but MVP Motorsports is the only place right now that could do that unless you have a expert fabricator in your trunk waiting around.

Personally I'm shooting for the STS turbo kit and doing a twin turbo setup with it. It may require some work and fabrication, but just as much as custom parts would be needed for MVPs kit.

As for supercharging, it would be good as well, but the 1UZ engines don't put out enough power to drive a large enough pulley for big hp with the supercharger.

So my choices from top to bottom.
1. STS twin turbo setup. Much cooler on the engine bay and just a cooler mod.
2. MVP twin or single large turbo. As there is a full kit i believe coming real soon.
3. Supercharge it! There are kits out there in Australia, but are hard to come by.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-07, 10:27 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by andrewwake
92-96 are the better years for FI. 95 and 96 are rated with 10 more hp than the earlier ones but if you are FI them then it doesn't really matter.
92-95 is 250hp/260tq
96-97 is 260hp/270tq

Just to clarify...like that matters in a FI set-up.
Old 06-28-07, 10:31 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
92-95 is 250hp/260tq
96-97 is 260hp/270tq

Just to clarify...like that matters in a FI set-up.
Thanks for correcting that for me. But yes, the 10hp difference wont matter too much if you do the FI set-up correct.
Old 06-28-07, 10:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Before anyone says, and i know you did, but search a little harder. i came up with a few things before as i am in this same boat.

VVT-i is going to give you problems with boost, or at least be much more costly and time consuming, be it turbo or supercharger.
OBD-I and II are going to give you error codes if you don't do the modifications properly, just with II you can read them without having to go to a dealer.

-Are the non-VVTi and VVTi 1UZs both as strong?
Internally, i believe i heard from somewhere that the block thickness is smaller in the VVT-i engines so boost is not as as practical.
you will be deleting the VVT-i most likely (u DONT care about economy if ur building a TT or SC 1uz) but it shouldnt be much of an issue, same goes for the OBDI or OBDII since ur going to have to run either piggyback fuel management or maybe even a full standalone.

pre VVT-i motors are physically MUCH stronger than the later motors. The rods in VVT-i engines are skinnier and tend to die when boosted much. the GS guys had this problem.

Twin turbo under the hood would be nice, but MVP Motorsports is the only place right now that could do that unless you have a expert fabricator in your trunk waiting around.

Personally I'm shooting for the STS turbo kit and doing a twin turbo setup with it. It may require some work and fabrication, but just as much as custom parts would be needed for MVPs kit.

As for supercharging, it would be good as well, but the 1UZ engines don't put out enough power to drive a large enough pulley for big hp with the supercharger.

So my choices from top to bottom.
1. STS twin turbo setup. Much cooler on the engine bay and just a cooler mod.
2. MVP twin or single large turbo. As there is a full kit i believe coming real soon.
3. Supercharge it! There are kits out there in Australia, but are hard to come by.

Hope this helps.
aussie SC kits are NOT hard to come by...

u needa read up a bit on www.lextreme.com, most of ur questions have been answered. u can make 500whp+ on a built 1UZ with an SC on it if u run a big enough pulley and have a fuel system+internals that can support it.

SRT also has done a couple GS400 twin turbos but the price is around 10K+ just for the TT setup.

personally, if u want just power, go buy a decent shape SC3, spend $2200-2500 and go NA-T, have 400whp, and be happy (NA-T kit is like 1200 then u need supporting mods)
Old 06-28-07, 10:54 PM
DoMaMuy
Rookie

Thank you guys so much. I just so happened to come across a VERY clean blk/tan 97 SC4 w/ 87k miles for $11k in my area.

More questions. With the NA-T setup, is it going to be as reliable as a GTE? Will it cost less going NA-T than getting a GTE swap? I'm really fuzzy with the smog laws here in California, so will i have any outstanding issues with either a turbo SC3/4?

Last edited by DoMaMuy; 06-28-07 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-28-07, 11:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 06-28-07, 11:28 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
aussie SC kits are NOT hard to come by...

u needa read up a bit on www.lextreme.com, most of ur questions have been answered. u can make 500whp+ on a built 1UZ with an SC on it if u run a big enough pulley and have a fuel system+internals that can support it.

SRT also has done a couple GS400 twin turbos but the price is around 10K+ just for the TT setup.

personally, if u want just power, go buy a decent shape SC3, spend $2200-2500 and go NA-T, have 400whp, and be happy (NA-T kit is like 1200 then u need supporting mods)
in my searching ive had a tough time finding the manifolds for the superchargers that would work well. but there are most likely places i havent looked as i am no expert. as for the TT setup, the GS400 tt is not the same as the sc400 tt. the sc400 is a smaller space and either requires the removal of PS and AC or better made manifolds, ie MVP or custom. With the STS they have a good idea with the rear mounted turbos; but maybe not that far back, modify something closer to the exhaust manifold but beneath the car not in the engine bay. with the sts there is no removal of PS or AC. But if it is a dyno queen you want, go with 1jz or 2jzgte as they are more stout blocks and highly modifiable.

Originally Posted by DoMaMuy
Thank you guys so much. I just so happened to come across a VERY clean blk/tan 97 SC4 w/ 87k miles for $11k in my area.

More questions. With the NA-T setup, is it going to be as reliable as a GTE? Will it cost less going NA-T than getting a GTE swap? I'm really fuzzy with the smog laws here in California, so will i have any outstanding issues with either a turbo SC3/4?
If done right, it will be very reliable and most likely as reliable as the gte. if you first get a sc300 and do the na-t then yes it will cost much less than doing a gte swap unless you can source a great deal for the motor and do all the work yourself. as for the smog laws, move out of state. im not sure what they are for na-t and engine swaps and such but they are planning on raising the smog standards in the next few years so it will be much more difficult.

Few more things, where you located in Ca? And PureDrifter (and anyone else for that matter), thanks for chiming in to correct anything on here, im doing all this off the top of my head from research of about 1-2 months ago.
Old 06-29-07, 01:02 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as for the TT setup, the GS400 tt is not the same as the sc400 tt. the sc400 is a smaller space and either requires the removal of PS and AC or better made manifolds, ie MVP or custom. With the STS they have a good idea with the rear mounted turbos; but maybe not that far back, modify something closer to the exhaust manifold but beneath the car not in the engine bay. with the sts there is no removal of PS or AC. But if it is a dyno queen you want, go with 1jz or 2jzgte as they are more stout blocks and highly modifiable.

I am not going to devote a lot of time here, but I want to address a few statements in this thread, and refer you to my very long and detailed thread about this very subject, incase you haven't read it before...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147035...

That should give you tons of info of what to do and not to do...You should also be able to get this done much quicker than I did, since there is not nearly as much pioneering to do...

Keep in mind, for a long time it was stated that the SC400 could not be TT'ed without removing the AC or PS pump. Not true, you just have to build the correct manifolds to fit within the confines of the engine bay. We got that done on my car...If you want big power, you will have to replace the internals with forged parts that are now available, so the 92-97 don't matter much, I understand the blocks on the 98-2000 vvti motors are lighter weight and of less strength, so if true, not as good of a base to work off of.

No matter what car, SC300 or SC400, it is expensive to add FI, but there is definitely an easier and much more established pathway to follow with the SC300, and it should be quantifiably less expensive to FI the SC300. The SC400 as a TT is extremely rare and unique, but be prepared for the extra work and costs involved...

Ryan

If done right, it will be very reliable and most likely as reliable as the gte. if you first get a sc300 and do the na-t then yes it will cost much less than doing a gte swap unless you can source a great deal for the motor and do all the work yourself. as for the smog laws, move out of state. im not sure what they are for na-t and engine swaps and such but they are planning on raising the smog standards in the next few years so it will be much more difficult.

Few more things, where you located in Ca? And PureDrifter (and anyone else for that matter), thanks for chiming in to correct anything on here, im doing all this off the top of my head from research of about 1-2 months ago.
I hear smog standards are tough to meet with in Cali no matter waht you do, but I am not sure as I do not live there...

Ryan
Old 06-29-07, 09:49 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

I was hoping Ryan(sc400tt) would chime in. One of the very few SC400 tts. But yes, if you decide to go any route, make sure you keep all the oem stuff that came off the car just in case you dont pass smog. if worst comes to worst then put it all back on for a short time to let it pass. and do it once a year.
Old 07-01-07, 01:39 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"and do it once a year"

i hate the thought of that... ewww.......
Old 07-02-07, 01:05 AM
Eddie B
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. I have a squires turbo system. I dont have it installed though. Just put my DCR forged 3 piece wheels on this week. Will get the turbo on within the next month. The gentleman I purchased from said it was good for about 425 horses with an intercooler and about 375 without. They said they have done a few. Stay tuned. I have some pics of the car in the gallery.
Old 07-02-07, 11:07 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by DoMaMuy
Even though this this most likely has been covered already, I can't seem to find it through Search...

I've decided on an SC400 as my first car, since I've been a huge fan of them since I was little, and I love what I hear about the 1UZ. I'm very interested in a twin turbo build-up in the future (most likely far future), or maybe just supercharging it. I just want to know which SC400 is best for the application.

-Are the non-VVTi and VVTi 1UZs both as strong? I ask this because I read that the non-VVTi 2JZ-GEs are stronger than the VVTi 2JZ-GEs.

Any constructive contribution is greatly appreciated.
I really think everyone is missing what the first question should be...........what is your budget???? Too many new members assume that the 1UZ can be turboed for the cost equivalent of turboing a Honda. Sorry. Unless you have real coin to lay down, don't even entertain the idea.
Old 07-02-07, 05:07 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Boosting a 1uz is not nearly as diffucult as it was 3 years ago. THere have been quite a few Pioneers that have succeeded at it on this board. So you will not be the guinea pig that some once were. If you are going through the trouble of a twin setup I assume you want real power, which means that you will change the pistons and rods anyhow. So strenght of stock rods doesnt really seem to be a factor.

Quick Reply: Which is SC4 is best for boosting?