Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC400TT Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 10:41 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking SC400TT Project Car

Please note that I am editing this first post since there have been so many changes to this project, and due to the unexpected long amount of time it has taken to get to this point.

In this project, I am doing something that has rarely been done before in a Lexus SC400. Even though there have been a few TT SC400 cars designed as one-offs out there, none have proven to be too successful (the exception recently being chrisman and his great project, and not including the Anderson Audio SC430 project), and the cost to do so has, in most cases, been prohibitive. My goal is to design, develop and implement a cost-effective, reliable Twin Turbo SC400 that can be duplicated as a partial kit (although I will not be making or selling a kit), or those that want to add the “oomph” of fun into their Luxo-Cruiser. As mentioned above, I have dubbed this project SC400TT.

I wish to note that I have had several people that have contributed many hours of their valuable time in helping me to put this project together, without whom, I would not have been able to attempt this project. So, I wish to offer many thanks to the noted David Phan, aka, LEXTREME, also to Joe Guthrie of Turbo Performance Systems, who is also a partial sponsor and confidant of my project, John Brady, a very good man, and a very good friend who has spent countless hours on the phone with me during this project, and last but not least, Frank and his team at XtremeBoost. Frank anfd his team are the welding wizards who will integrate all the parts, weld my pipes and put together a large part of my turbo project..

This page will be updated as my project progresses, and will document my progress of Project SC400TT. Keep in mind that even though the SC400 shares the same engine with the LS400, and GS400, there are many differences between the cars, and this turbo project is specific. So, this "kit" may not fit upon the other cars. I will try to give as much details as possible so you can duplicate this project in your shop or at home. Like LEXTREME’s, this project will be homemade, with very few things being sent out. If you are interested making your Lexus SC400 Single Turbo DIY Kit, stay tuned. Once this is done, a DIY Kit may be available, but not from me. I am excited to participate in this daring journey. Wish me luck and please feel free to contact my generous sponsors for questions. Without them, this project would not be possible. I thank you all. If you are interested in being a sponsor of this project, please contact me.(mailto:altstadt1@earthlink.net)

This project is currently in final design stage completion, and should be completed and dyno tested by the end of February, 2005. Edit: September 2006.

I will post pics of my car, and the recent mods I have made in preparation for the Turbo, and as I progress...

Excited!!

Last edited by SC400TT; 08-08-06 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 10:44 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Here are some pics of preparing my car for FI...

The Car is going through both exterior and mechanical mods.

You now see the Install of the MV Automatics Stage 1 Shift Kit. It is a reworked Valve Body, solenoids, and spring that allows the Auto trans to shift much quicker, and with more force. I can now easily chirp the tires between gears, and the engine is only modded with a BFI, and K&N Filter. Once I install the new TC and GT40, it's gonna get fun...

Ryan
Attached Images

More coming...

Last edited by SC400T; 07-24-05 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 11:40 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I have decided to go with the GT40 due to its wheel being 30% more efficient than its predecessors, and its extremely quick spool up. The GT40 requires custom flanges to be made, so I had Precision make up a custom housing with a .68 AR, and standard V band. The flange is a standard T4 connection. The GT40 will support up to 750 HP, which will easily provide me with my project goal of a 500+ RWHP daily driver, on pump gas.

It has been a long wait to get thet Custom Housing- 3 months. But, it just came in today. Now I can finally get the custom piping made...

Ryan

More to come

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 07-24-05 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 11:48 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I am nursing a sinus infection today, so these items coming in the mail were a ray of sunshine to my misery...

More...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 07-24-05 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 11:53 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Still more...

Once the piping gets started, I will post up detailed pics of them and the custom water-to-air intercooler...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 07-24-05 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 12:00 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daayyymmm. That's lookin good Ryan. I was going to drop you a PM to find out how the project was going but I guess this answers the question. I can't wait to see pics of the install. Good luck.
Old 01-13-05, 12:12 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

That would be one hel of a project I have an SC400 that I'm going to be sticking in the garge for a while so I can enjoy the new car I will be picking up this weekend 01 GS430 L tuned. So thats great would rock. I would totally be all over that setup.

BTW we should get some Vegas Meets going huh?
Old 01-13-05, 01:06 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Mine is RYAtuned...

Ryan
Old 01-13-05, 01:48 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is now bookmarked!!!
I love these kind of projects.
Old 01-13-05, 02:06 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck! great seeing someone doing something outside of the box.

garret turbo's are so lovely is the gt40 dual ball bearing or single?.. or is it the R's that are dual bearing
Old 01-13-05, 03:49 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

you already know I'm lookin' and listening... good work....
Old 01-13-05, 06:14 PM
Verge
Rookie

make an affordible kit that can be duplicated... and you'll sell hundreds of them here in the states

i would be very interested
Old 01-13-05, 06:25 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Why didn't you get a bigger turbo for a 4.0L?. I would've, but that's just what I'd do. The turbo on my 2.0L dsm was bigger .
Old 01-13-05, 08:26 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by guessd
Why didn't you get a bigger turbo for a 4.0L?. I would've, but that's just what I'd do. The turbo on my 2.0L dsm was bigger .
My car is a street car...at 750 HP, it will be more than most any car on the road... I am not looking to make this car a track car or to make ridiculous HP. Consider this...If I get this car to 500 RWHP, that would make it almost 3 times more powerful- That's 300%!!! It would be quicker and faster than most any car on the road. That is enough for me. I am first and foremost a Lexus SC400 lover, always have been, since I saw the first one years ago. I just want a fast Lexus...The SC400 looks fast, mine is soon going to be fast.

Also remember, I am not a vendor, and do not sell Turbo Kits, so let's not go down that road and end up getting this thread locked. When I reach my personal goals for my SC, and if I think this is a great, affordable kit to make for others, I will cross that road at that time. Not until then. In the mean time, let's just see how this works out. I am doing this for my own personal goals and satisfaction. Once mine is perfected, I want to help a select few with their projects as well...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 01-13-05 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 08:51 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400T
My car is a street car...at 750 HP, it will be more than most any car on the road... I am not looking to make this car a track car or to make ridiculous HP. Consider this...If I get this car to 500 RWHP, that would make it almost 3 times more powerful- That's 300%!!! It would be quicker and faster than most any car on the road. That is enough for me. I am first and foremost a Lexus SC400 lover, always have been, since I saw the first one years ago. I just want a fast Lexus...The SC400 looks fast, mine is soon going to be fast.

Ryan
You want 500 whp on pump gas? How much boost are you going to be willing to run on pump gas? You probably know this, but It's probably going to take 20+ psi to make 500 rwhp on pump gas. On race gas, it'll have no problem making over 600. This is assuming that's the GT40 with the 56trim 61mm compressor wheel and a GT40 exhaust wheel?

Either way, good luck with your project.

p.s.: My car was a daily driven street car

Quick Reply: SC400TT Project Car