Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: HOW LONG do you warm up your engine?
1. None, start it and go!
25.30%
2. About 20 sec., until rpm drops to 1200.
33.33%
3. About 2 min., until rpm drops below 1000.
30.12%
4. However long it takes to get water temp up. (post what temp)
11.24%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

How long do you warm up your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 11:29 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
lol i figured that out today the more you baby it the longer it takes to heat up this morning i was late for work so gave it some gas untill 5000 rpms .to my suprise the temp got normal in a few seconds
Your sig says South Florida, lol, what are the odds that it works that way in North Dakota?? Your engine was warm when you started it.
Old 01-31-07, 09:11 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an interesting thing to think about, although I don't know much about newer M3's---

The 2000~ish M3 has little lights around the tach that stay lit until the ecu reads the temp at certain levels and turns the little lights off, until they all finally turn off once full operating temp is reached.

The first light is around 3000 rpms, indicating that on that particular engine you can rev it to 3000 or 3500 until it warms up fully.

I would always let the oil pressure build for at least 20 sec. before taking off, but after that, I'd say just drive normal, no lead-footing, until the temp starts to creep up to at least 1/4 of the way on the gauge.....

It doesn't take long to warm up the actual internals when you're compressing a gasoline fire in there-- the rest of the block and oil and finally the sensors will follow, but the internals are warmed pretty quickly, much like holding a big torch on a piston, it's gonna get warm fast--

At 2000 rpms, the piston sees compressed fire about 9 times per second, not too shabby I think--

All that to say that if there were a temp gauge in the piston, valves, conrods, and cylinder walls, you'd see temps climb very very quickly vs. the temp in the water/coolant and oil-- since the heat they see is indirectly transferred through a thick cast iron sleeve and then heat dissipating aluminum beyond that........

Hope that wasnt' too wordy, but it makes sense-- Just don't beat on it past 3500 or so until it's warm and you'll be fine..
Old 02-27-07, 01:20 PM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

Well if im not late to waking up for work i will let it warm up for about 4 minutes to get it close to normal before i got, but that is a rare happening, Usually iw ill turn it on, wait about 30 seconds and go (is this bad for the motor/transmission?)
Old 03-11-07, 05:04 AM
angwy
Driver School Candidate

Long enough for a smoke, which is just the same amount it turns out for the rpm drop to happen. Daily driver 50+mi p/day. Don't know if running it for 2 min helps but you got to respect the streak.
Old 04-16-07, 01:18 PM
619Soarer
Rookie

i let it warm while smokin a cig. normally i'll let it warm for about a minute and keep it easy; keeping the RPMs around 2k-2300.. but the SC does sound pretty tight running cold. kinda like a G35.
Old 05-02-07, 11:35 AM
lphillips
Driver School Candidate

In the AM for about 3 min or however long it takes for the heater valve to finally open. any other time, I hit the remote start from as far away as possible. When leaving the office it walk over to the window and hit it. Doesnt always work. Usually depends on where in the garage the SC is. Out of the office and up the stairs to the car can take up to 4 minutes.
Old 05-03-07, 06:45 AM
Luin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 160,000 miles on my SC300 and I have noticed that when I take off right after start up **no warming up** that the car is "sluggish", kinda like it knows to take it easy. Also, my SC will shift out of 1st alot quicker if its not warm even if I have it floored. Its kinda like I have a "idiot box" watchin the temp.

When I start it up and let it idle for about 1 minute and then take off slowly, once the temp gauge is 1-2 marks away from cold I can "get on it" and it will take off with alot more pep.

I thought I was the only one wondering about this. haha!
Old 05-05-07, 12:59 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post
Now that winter is fully here in Indiana, I have been warming up my car for over 2 minutes about half of the work days this month to combat the cold. I will stop. What can happen as a result of this practice?
Originally Posted by O. L. T.
google your query.

I searched to no avail. Can someone direct me to a link on how too much warming up can be bad for your engine. I am really interested.
Old 05-06-07, 06:32 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

After I get done shaving, I remote start the car as I leave the barracks. So about a minute.
Old 05-29-07, 12:52 PM
Scoupe3
Rookie

Sometimes i warm it up for 30 seconds and drive under 2000 rpm till i get to the freeway. Sometimes I let it idle till i see the rpm drop to about 1200 - 1400. I dont find a big difference in the effect of two.
Old 05-29-07, 02:36 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to see the themostat open before I take off, and then I still take it easy for a mile or so to let the trans and stuff get loose.

If I'm in a real hurry, I'll give it enough time to get the oil circulated through and then roll out real easy until it's up to temp.

Last edited by kyoso23; 05-29-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-30-07, 08:42 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

I let it get up to operating temp before taking off.
Old 05-31-07, 08:00 AM
ccotenj
Driver School Candidate

reading this topic after reading the seafoam topic educated me as to why so many have such bad carbon buildups...

start... drive... gently...
Old 06-07-07, 09:49 PM
ViciousSoa
Driver School Candidate

start it up, like the guys say wait like 30 sec - 2 min, reason: wait for oil pump and recirculate to the head and back to the pan , so wont scratch the surface of VALVE TRAIN, lifters, cams, crank bearings, etc ... I use 20w 50 synthetic blend cause I live in HOUSTON and my motor is 220k, just add liltle bit more than the spec, cause let the oil stay in the head a little longer and you still have oil in the pan for recirculate. I am very impress with this motor, still haul *** and quiet just like a 45k lexus motor breaking in.
Old 06-08-07, 05:03 AM
ccotenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ViciousSoa
... just add liltle bit more than the spec, cause let the oil stay in the head a little longer and you still have oil in the pan for recirculate.
???? you care to explain that little tidbit?

do not, repeat DO NOT, overfill oil.... more is not better...

Quick Reply: How long do you warm up your engine?