Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Accessory Problem, P/S Pump, Alternator, Belt Tensioner or Waterpump???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 10:02 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accessory Problem, P/S Pump, Alternator, Belt Tensioner or Waterpump???

I've had a screeching problem on startup for the last few weeks, so I bought a new A/C Clutch assembly (not installed yet because I haven't gotten it), but tonight something finally took a crap. I felt something let go in the engine, the screeching became immediate, and I didn't have good power steering, and the battery light came one.

Now here's the weird part. This only happened in the turns, while the car remained screeching nomatter what idle, it never seemed like it would die. Only when I had to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees would I feel the power steering let go and have to turn real hard. The batter light would come on around 45 degrees of turn on the wheel. My voltage immediately dropped from the usual 14.3-14.5 to 11.0-11.2, and my radar detector kept signaling low voltage.

I get home about 5min later (its midnight, and the car seems to drive so I decided to make the trip home). The car has not overheated at all, the temp gauge is right where it should be, however I hear the radiator water boiling and its close to coming out of the overflow resivour.

At first I thought it was the waterpump but the screeching is definatley coming from between the belt tensioner assembly and the power steering pump.

Nothing in the engine is completely seized, I looked and everything spins, but I just can't tell how well.

I was thinking that maybe the belt tensioner seized, but still spins somewhat, thus the screeching, but when I put a strain on the power steering it is enough strain on the whole system to make it go out. However that doesn't explain the boiling coolant, so then again maybe its the water pump that went out!!

I don't know, I will take the belt off tomorrow and investigate the "fluidness" of all the pulleys, but maybe somebody can give me some insight ahead of that.

Thanks.

Tim
Old 01-09-07, 10:35 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Update, took the belt off and everything seems to spin fine. Noticed my crankshaft pully has NO grooves on it, but I think its been that way...

Everything spins fine except the water pump, it spins freely but makes a distinct whining noise when I do it, so I'm guessing that went out, which would explain the boiling coolant in the resevour. I guess my car didn't overheat since it was only 5min and it was about 35-40F out, but it seems like it would have gone up a little bit. Maybe it was spinning and its just the bearing going bad inside it.
Old 01-10-07, 01:22 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

my water pump just went out and it did the same thing but my temp auge went up all the way. make sure the tensioner moves back and forth ok
Old 01-10-07, 03:37 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Found out my Crankshaft Pulley split. I don't think they're supposed to look like this:

The drive belt slips on and off without the belt tensioner being moved or tightened, so I knew there was a problem when that happened. At least Aliga is hooking me up with a new one.
Attached Thumbnails Accessory Problem, P/S Pump, Alternator, Belt Tensioner or Waterpump???-dsc02341.jpg