Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Replace both O2 Sensors at same time or one at a time?

Old 10-26-01, 08:27 PM
banking
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replace both O2 Sensors at same time or one at a time?

Fellow members,

I have a question that I need your assistance on. I just replaced one of my O2 sensors and now the engine feels kinda jerky or not as smooth during normal driving. Should I have replaced both rather than just one? I also used the Bosch O2 sensor as well?
Any info or tips would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 11-01-01, 05:20 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Replace both O2 Sensors at same time or one at a time?

Originally posted by banking
Fellow members,

I have a question that I need your assistance on. I just replaced one of my O2 sensors and now the engine feels kinda jerky or not as smooth during normal driving. Should I have replaced both rather than just one? I also used the Bosch O2 sensor as well?
Any info or tips would be helpful.

Thanks
Just my opinion, the O2 sensors have nothing to do with the engine performance. It only detect the amount of oxygen go throught the exaust, emission issue.
Your problem might be something else. By the way, did you check the code and also check which O2 was bad? I replace both of my O2 because my bro. said when one goes, the other is not that far behind.
Old 11-01-01, 05:59 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Kind of like spark plugs, if you do one, do em' all. Keeps everything in balance.

Keith
Old 11-01-01, 10:12 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front o2 sensor is critical to correct air/fuel ratio as determined by the ECU. The rear O2 sensor exists only to report on the conditiion of the catalytic converter. It has nothing at all to do with engine operation. When the rear O2 sensor detects unacceptable emissions from the cat, it causes the check engine light to come on. If the check engine light is off, there is nothing wrong with the 2nd sensor. Changing all of them is either an ignorant or crooked mechanic's approach!
Old 11-02-01, 05:13 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by philauldridge
The front o2 sensor is critical to correct air/fuel ratio as determined by the ECU. The rear O2 sensor exists only to report on the conditiion of the catalytic converter. It has nothing at all to do with engine operation. When the rear O2 sensor detects unacceptable emissions from the cat, it causes the check engine light to come on. If the check engine light is off, there is nothing wrong with the 2nd sensor. Changing all of them is either an ignorant or crooked mechanic's approach!
I was referring to the two front (Main O2 sensors) for the SC400. When something happen to one side, the othe side is most likely to go bad too. If you can change the sensor yourself, change the faulty one. It is not that difficult to change the O2 anyway. The rear O2 sensors are a little more work to replace.
We're talking $114 each for the front and more than $350 each for the rear
Old 11-02-01, 06:05 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

philauldridge - sorry, I should have stated I was talking about a 400. Its a "V" engine, as opposed to an "I" in the 300.

Have you all tried pricing at an auto parts store? My Mazda had an o2 sensor that cost 278$ from the dealer. A trip to Autozone yielded a Bosch one for 32$ that works fine, even under severe conditions and high boost levels.

Keith
Old 11-08-01, 11:23 PM
banking
Rookie

Default Keith13b,philauldridge,VQT

Keith13b,philauldridge,VQT

Thanks for the info. By the way I paid 27.00 dollars for mine at AIP here in Memphis. The reason why I had changed just one of the rear o2 sensors was b/c my car was on a car lift at the exhaust shop and the mechanic was not paying attention when backing out and my left side of the car fell of the ramp and totally ripped the o2 sensors and who knows what else. So I demanded them to have it fixed right then and there. They eventually got to it and I even had to go pick up the sensor from AIP with their company car.
I did not check out my codes yet just been lazy but will do it tommorow.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-09-01, 06:42 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O2 sensors have a huge effect on performance. They tell the ECU how lean/rich the exhaust gas is, therefore changing the amount of fuel being injected into the cylinder.

I've actually unhooked my O2 sensors so I'm running the factory fuel maps. The car stays much richer than it does with them hooked up, and it's safer for my turbo. I use the S-AFC to adjust the ratio.

And the car fell on the lift...ouch. If performace is real bad....it could be a real bad problem! The engine is aluminum on the sc400 if I'm not mistaken...and it would be VERY easy to bend/crack an aluminum head or block with the cars weight being dropped on the exhaust manifold. You could have some more serious issues.

I also would make them buy a *Lexus* O2 sensor...since it was their fault and they should pay. Just have a Lexus tech talk to them, and they'll say "Oh no, you HAVE to use a Lex O2 sensor, others don't work right" lol.

You may even want to eat $50 and have the Lex dealer check out the car. If there ARE any other problems, you'll be getting your money back from the other shop...and if they give you any problems...I'm a wiz at the whole small claims court process..LOL

SR
Old 11-09-01, 06:58 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Keith13b,philauldridge,VQT

Originally posted by banking
Keith13b,philauldridge,VQT

Thanks for the info. By the way I paid 27.00 dollars for mine at AIP here in Memphis. The reason why I had changed just one of the rear o2 sensors was b/c my car was on a car lift at the exhaust shop and the mechanic was not paying attention when backing out and my left side of the car fell of the ramp and totally ripped the o2 sensors and who knows what else. So I demanded them to have it fixed right then and there. They eventually got to it and I even had to go pick up the sensor from AIP with their company car.
I did not check out my codes yet just been lazy but will do it tommorow.

Thanks guys!
Da$m, I paid $114+tax each for my SC400 Main O2 sensor. Lexus parts and at an discount too
If I had known it that cheap out side, I would buy after market from now on.
Old 02-24-17, 05:06 AM
lexusdriv
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys . I'm new on this forum . I have question : I just change bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor , but a lot of mechanics tell me I have change all oxygen sensor at one time . How true is that ? None of my warning lights on . Any ansvers will help .