Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LS1 ? In a SC400/300 has it been done ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 11:13 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree on the power comparison-- and either would be a cool project-- I just think there's enough potential in the UZ to give it a shot-

The dyno chart I posted showed it making 330whp-- stock heads, 8 tb's.. etc.

I'm in Arkansas, and we are among many states that have NO inspection, as well as no smog control--

So 8 tb's isn't out of the question at all-- considering a lot of NA+turbo cars are technically not carb legal either--

www.1uzfe.com has a lot of links to good reads on the motor's potential for rpms and overall output-- the bottom end is definitely not a weak point, nor are the heads and valvetrain-- [no weak points except size] -- BUT, considering BMW can tune a 3.7 liter 6 to 340 chipped hp-- I think there's a lot of potential with the UZ--

The LS1 will win hands down on NA power every time though, but the 1uz is still a motor that can be built to rev ridiculously high--

I'm not knocking an LS1 swap at all though-- I guess I'd just love to see a member make a seriously powerful and driveable uz so I can follow their blueprint and do it myself-- my bank acct. isn't predicting any future ls1's for awhile--

Secondly though, I think the LS1 will be hard to beat in terms of gas mileage-- and a 6 spd camaro tranny requiring no mod's to bolt up could end up being the cheaper route overall--
Old 12-01-06, 12:57 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im currently doing this project in an old 944 :P
Old 12-01-06, 01:02 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Porsche 944 1UZ swap project
Old 12-01-06, 01:04 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Now, that I like. . .
Old 12-01-06, 01:10 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I thought you might like that--

Light car+ 8 throttle bodies= FUN
Old 12-01-06, 05:25 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the 1uz could rev higher. They internals are more beefy for the size. Some forged internals stock and 6 bolt mains!
Old 12-01-06, 06:05 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

high revving-- a true european engine characteristic-- It makes the best exhaust note at 8k rpms--

I heard of some guys racing an offroad "car" with a 1uz transplant purchased used, and they raced it with the same motor for 4 years revving it to 7500 rpms regularly on bone stock internals-- not once having engine failure--

That's where that $400,000,000 in design went in the 1UZ-- it was the basis on which to start a successful company called [lexus] ..... With plans to dominate the luxury car market by building the most dependable and advanced cars of their time........................................
Old 12-01-06, 07:13 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Yeah, the high reving high pitched Ferrari V8 sounds are nice, but still cannot be duplicated with an 1uz-fe motor...For many reasons which would take awhile to write up...

Still a larger liter sized motor will always give you the most potential for performance for the buck...We are trying to compare a 4.0 liter engine to a 5.7 liter engine...There really is no comparison when trying to match power for power...Even though the 4.0 Liter 1uz-fe is a tank of a motor and has been reported to handle as much as 500whp on the stock internals when boosted...It still pales in comparison to the LS1 when comparing performance for price...This is in regards to you boosting the 1uz's and the 2jz's to match the LS1's N/A power ratings...Also if you ever decide to boost the LS1, it's over...See my point?...

I love my 1uz but would rather have the LS1 sitting under the hood of my SC4, I mean who in there right mind wouldn't exchange there 1uz for the LS1 if it was a perfectly made to order swap for free?....Just too much potential with those motors, No?....

Iuz speaking - You can reach 400whp with a single turbo setup fairly easily on the 1uz-fe's but it will cost you more then a used LS1 engine purchase, especially if you also decide to go with forgies on the 1uz.......Also note the stock SC4 tranny failure and untimely shifts will soon be your next expendature if you venture to those 400whp numbers on an SC4.. Mine died out at just 300whp after two years...

However, the 1uz-fe v8 engines are still one of the best factory made engines to date for durability, longevity and a smoothe idle.....That is why I am still cruising with one...

Last edited by jibbby; 12-01-06 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 07:44 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Well-- more on european cars-- I had a 535i , 90' model, stick, chipped-- 150 mph car--

It wasn't as fast as a lot of american cars, but the refinement of the engine was much like that of a uz-- and the interior was beyond any car I've ever owned or seen to date in terms of ergonomics-- I guess that refinement translates into everything they do in engineering, and I like to keep it intact.

Neck snapping power is not always the most important thing. The sc400 is much faster than 80 percent of most cars to date when bone stock-- For drag racing, an LS1 is great...

They are hard to beat for a lot of reasons though, the LS1 is considered by many to be a marvel of American engineering.. rightly so...

I would absolutely love to have an LS1, but I'm sure you would also like to see the UZ squeezed for it's true potential-- I really think with some radical tuning, 400+ n/a hp is attainable, probably much more, and with a 6 spd, it would be completely driveable [in fast mode anyway] ==

I'd like to just stuff a 1uz OR an LS1 into a small toyota pickup or a nissan pickup--

Maybe a 240sx-- They're just light and have a huge advantage in the weight dept...

I don't think the SC is meant to be a full blown race car== rather a nice fast luxury coupe with creature comforts==

It would be fun to do and brag about

I give props to anybody that transplants a non-standard powerplant into anything as a project, it's time well spent and great experience

Once you do a motor swap, engine mounts don't seem like a big job any more..
Old 12-01-06, 07:51 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

I'd love to see this swap
Old 12-01-06, 08:27 PM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

I think the mounting the motor might be the easy part. It’s all the other fab work that will take more time and thinking. Getting all the little things to work altogether is just tuff. When I did my 455 conversion in my corvette the hardest thing for me was getting all the accessories to work and making my own pullys. Plus the SC has tons of electrical and sensors to bypass. It will be a tuff project but it might just be worth it in the long run.
Old 12-01-06, 08:33 PM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

I won’t deny it the UZ is a great motor and I think with the right tuning and parts it will be very powerful, and might just surprise us all. On the other hand the LS1 is an incredible motor from top to bottom and I was always impressed with the pure power and design that motor possesses
Old 12-01-06, 08:38 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Your 455 vette is pure sick man-- I'd love to borrow it for a weekend or two..
Old 12-01-06, 08:48 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Well we all know these are luxury coupes but the whole fun of it is having a fast and confortable luxury coupe and suprise the Porsche's and Vette's that are rumbling next to you at the red....

I get kicks out of beating out the owners of these new fancy sportscars..That's fun for me...Although I just got beat out by a true sleeper just yesterday at a red light...A 1984 or so Mustang LX pulled up next to me rumbling, it looked old but sounded beafier then stock, the driver then looks my way and points forward....I point forward and proceed to arm the nos...The light turns green and we are both spinning abit and I am then a half a car length ahead in first gear and holding him off, second gear then hits and I am still just barely holding him off, then the third gear hits and I see his mustang hood slowely over take me to my suprise......I was shocked...It looked like a stock old LX mustang with maybe 3" exhaust pipes out the back...Just maybe exhaust and probably not boosted.....Very very fast.. That is an example of an iron block 5.O liter V8 in light weight car, still out muscled my 4.0 liter SC4 V8 with nos...WOW, I was suprised....

Last edited by jibbby; 12-01-06 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 09:08 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

400 hp 4.0 liter v8 that loves to rev--

Your torque is higher than hp with NOS isnt it??

Nice 60 ft. kill

I agree about beating fancy new $80,000+ sports cars--

When I picked up the SC in Dallas, I drove a 96 Firebird with a built motor that ran 12.03's on slicks no spray-- Built tranny-- 460le with a shift kit-- Flashed ecu, all that good stuff-- $3400 , perfect body-- but the guy had changed the cluster out with a lower mileage one from the car he said he got the motor and trans from-- sounded kinda fishy so I passed-- plus he was telling me how easy it would be to fix the inoperable headlight by stealing a replacement actuator from the junkyard-- I held my wallet close after that statement....

We ran up on several new 911 Turbo's on the interstate, as well as an Aston Marton DB9--

Needless to say, I wished for at least a day or two that I had got the firebird... Only downside to it was, it was PURPLE--

So, I got an SC with 153k miles because it ran good-- really good, and had had a recent timing belt......

Quick Reply: LS1 ? In a SC400/300 has it been done ?