Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LS1 ? In a SC400/300 has it been done ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 11:31 PM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 ? In a SC400/300 has it been done ?

for a while ive been thinking about putting an LS1 into an SC. Not untill today I really took it into consideration. A friend of mine in the corvette club has a nice clean LS1 that he might pass on to me (from a slavage corvette). But as of this time I have nothing to put it in. So I am thinking to cross over and try somthing new. I was looking around for an old SC with engine probs/whatever for a cheap price. I dont really want to go indepth with this project as I did with my corvette but I am sure ill be diging a big hole. On the other hand it will be pretty darn sweet to see a SC300/400 LS1TT. Ive seen Twin Turbo corvettes and man they are unbeliveable. Let see what happens. BTW has anyone done this before?
Old 11-29-06, 11:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

engine forum...........
Old 11-30-06, 07:34 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

i have yet too ee or heard of anything in the works. it would be sweet. while ur add it put in a t56.
Old 11-30-06, 08:02 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that it's been discussed here before. I would say it's doable. If they can get the LS1 in an RX7 then the SC should be a bit easier.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/
Old 11-30-06, 08:51 AM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

yeh they seems to be a tight fit to. Ive seen the LS1 in ferio's now thats a tight fit. I think i might really do this project. i have a good friend that says hes "IN". so I might actually do it. but I have to plan it all out before i even decide to get the car. Its A LOT of work.
Old 11-30-06, 08:52 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

That is the route I will be going if I kill my 1UZ. I would love to keep a DOHC 32v V-8 in the SC400 and use a LT5 as a replacement. But the cost of that motor will prevent me from using one. So I will be using a LS motor. The LS7 would be even sweeter. I think it costs a bit more than a used LT5 though so that's out the window as well.

Keep us up to date with details if you decide to do it.
Old 11-30-06, 09:52 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Yes it fits...The actual demensions on the Ls1 engines are smaller then the 4.O Liter Lexus/Toyota V8's...Lighter in weight do to the alluminum block...It's a very doable swap....Wiring (instrument integration) of the car would be a monster of challenge though. You would probably be best served to swap in corvette tranny to match as well.....Also probably go with a stand alone ECU maybe....

Who has the gonads to be the first to do this swap?
Old 11-30-06, 10:42 AM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

ture the electrical would be a nightmare! but doable.
Old 11-30-06, 11:31 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaro tranny; Vette's are in back...
This would make a nice swap.
Old 11-30-06, 11:48 AM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

yep the trany in the vette are in the rear... make a nice equal weight distribution... the T56 is the 6 speed trany that bolts up to the ls1.
Old 11-30-06, 11:59 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

The motor is pretty dam big I'm sure the only big problems you would run into is wiring and making the engine and trans mounts. Small problems would be headers fitting with the steering, custom driveshaft, adapting in a willwood clutch master, adapting the power steering lines. I'm currently dropping a LS1 w/T56 in my 240 but I just got the motor and haven't went to far yet.
Old 12-01-06, 06:21 AM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

it about the same mods i had to do to get that 455 in my corvette... everything from custom headers, mounts, to custom driveshafts,
Old 12-01-06, 09:23 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the LS1, but the 1uz is also aluminum block-- it's probably lighter, at around 380~ lbs -- I don't remember, but whatever a 2jz weighs it's 60 lbs lighter.. Why does everybody think a 1uz is iron block??

I also think it would be cooler just to rebuild and mod the current 1UZ, for tuning's sake-- I think they're good for 400 hp with some good tuning-- [cams, intake, exhaust, Individual throttle body intake, piggyback ecu]

It also could quite possibly rev much higher than a stock ls1...... I think you can get 8,000 on a stock internals 1UZ-- or a little more--

That's just coming from someone that would love to see someone really make a project out of an already awesome built motor--

This dyno chart is at the rear wheels, just running a piggyback, reground cams, stock heads, and ind. throttle bodies + good exhaust(40 or 45mm x 8 with 70mm trumpets) in a Celica rally car-- A high stall converter could make up for some of the lag....

BUT, the LS1 would probably end up being more driveable and WAAY cheaper to mod....

Last edited by MJHSC400; 12-01-06 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-01-06, 10:15 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

i think half the reason for doing it to be different. but the power potential definatly is on the LS's side. you have to take into acount the GM fuel injection, wich i asume you already have. as far as tranny there are so many options. the turbo 400 comes to mind right now but fitment might be a pain. all in all i say go for it because even if you consider all the potential road blocks GM has so many oem and aftermarket parts that if you do the research you might be able to make it relatively easy.
Old 12-01-06, 10:18 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

The two motors have been weighed dry and the LS1 is slightly lighter in weight then the 1uz-fe.....This swap has been explored big time on the Lextreme.com forum... The width and heights of the two motors have also been measured...The width of the Ls1 is slightly shorter so fabing the headers is not a problem as you can still obtain good exhaust flow...Unlike you might see in a set of custom flat hard to squeeze in headers...Length is not a problem either....

Using the stock SC tranny would be trouble...First off the constant estimated 375-400whp of N/A LS1 power would eventually fry the tranny....Secondly the tranny codes from the ECU would be very difficult to integrate...So forget about using the stock SC4 tranny...Stick with a Camaro or Vette tranny to match, or you can spend loads and try and match up and customize a manual V160/R154 swap or something.....Anyway, So you then can custom weld the Vette/Camaro tranny and motor mounts to fit the swap, custom build a driveshaft to fit the VetteCamaro tranny and Lex/Toy. Diff...and the physical part of the swap is complete....This swap would be made easier to work in a manual SC300 rather then an auto SC400 if you planned on not using the GM tranny...

Electrical - Instrumentation integration for an SC would be the killer, you would have to go one wire at a time, use wire diagrams, and really put the time and effort into making all the gadgets/cluster/climate control, etc..all work....I would think using a stand alone ECU rather then the stock Vette or Camaro ECU would work a little better with wiring integration and also bring out the most performance tuning out of the motor...

As far as the Xuz-fe N/A motor being compared to the LS1 motor that is not going to happen..Your comparing a 4.0 liter motor to a 5.7 liter motor built to perform...The most I have ever seen squeezed out of a 1uz-fe N/A motor was 300whp and it was not street legal with the eight independant throttle bodies, cams, etc...... Good luck matching N/A power between the two because I just don't think it could be made possible...Unless you turn the 4.3L 3uz motor to run like the 4.3 Ferrari motors, extreme cam lifts, 9000 rpm band, independant TB's etc, forgies etc.....THen you have something after breaking your bank account.....

That is my take on this proposed swap....

The only way to match the N/A power of the LS1 in the xUZ-FE motors is to go forced air induction, or nos...Not nearly as reliable and or practical as the LS1 N/A power...

Last edited by jibbby; 12-01-06 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 ? In a SC400/300 has it been done ?