Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JDM to USDM 2JZ-GTE.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 01:07 AM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM to USDM 2JZ-GTE.

I've searched high and low, so if anyone knows of a link to a topic discussing my question, I'd appreciate that also.

If not, I had a question about the ever-popular GTE swap. I'm looking to make a CA smog legal swap into a '92 sc3 and was wondering what all I needed to convert on a JDM block to make it legal. I know their are bigger 550 injectors. Also, someone said JDM GTE's are 280hp. Is this true?

All I found was this post

What did the USDM conversion parts cost you? Why does a broken turbo matter when people typically install USDM pieces or upgrade to something bigger? It seems like any money saved by finding an inexpensive JDM setup is more than outweighed by the cost to convert it to US spec (bigger injectors, etc) and even then you still have an engine of unknown mileage. What's the draw?

Thanks,
Nic
Old 11-14-06, 05:50 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Some more searching and i found an awesome thread. . only took a few attempts at changing key words and a few hours :P.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...m+to+usdm+spec

Thanks anyway
Old 11-14-06, 09:45 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

That's a great thread on the conversion and is very complete. Regarding CA smog legal, the ERG system is required on your conversion of the JDM 2jz. That means some skilled drilling into the head.

The other thing is anyone installing the 2jzgte in CA is pushing the limits of the test. You might be able to get a smog referee to cert the swap. It will require that you do everything by the book.

This is a very hard thing to do in reality. Knowing damn well that it is the perfect time to install BPU components and other upgrades. I would try to find a way install a small single (t61 or equiv) and skip locating good usdm twins that are now at least 12 years old now. Of course you will have to sort out the smog thing.