Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gte Block Swap???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 03:18 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gte Head Swap???

Well ive been looking into the GTE swap like others on here but right now i think its kind of out of my budget. I mean i CAN afford it if i really want to but that would be a while then the down time is something i dont want. Well i heard that the GTE head can replace the GE head and basically be the same as the GTE motor itself. I know that a different gasket or something like that has to be replaced to lower the compression. Can someone tell me what else needs to be replaced if what i heard is true. This is a possible route for me. What all parts do i need for this "head swap". IM not looking for outrageous power but some moderate. Can someone help me?

Last edited by supra dr; 11-03-06 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-30-06, 04:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The GTE block won't make a difference as far as power.
Old 10-30-06, 04:31 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

sorry guys i meant to put head. Im tired right now. 4:30 round here but umm im asking about the GTE head, not the block. Is this possible?
Old 10-30-06, 07:34 AM
Twin Turbo
Rookie

its easier to do gte internals with headgasket and ge head than gte head with stock ge bottom. It won't hold much power anyways, so swap out the internals, or just do full bottom end.
Old 10-30-06, 07:37 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
its easier to do gte internals with headgasket and ge head than gte head with stock ge bottom. It won't hold much power anyways, so swap out the internals, or just do full bottom end.
And you came to this conclusion how
Old 10-30-06, 08:48 AM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

the bottom ends are the same between the GE and GTE blocks.
Old 10-30-06, 12:08 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

basically the same, not exactly, heres some info to help this thread, http://www.mkiv.com/faq/nafaq.htm, read quest 3, http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#engineblock , read the part on the block and the rods and pistons for some answers on that, as far as the question at top on what else needs to be changed, i believe the head gasket is the main thing, then oil taps for the turbos i think, TT throttle body cable, and i think the radiator hose is different, there are a couple good threads on this if you search in here more
Old 10-30-06, 12:11 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You're getting some bad information here...

The GE and GTE blocks are NOT the same. GTE block comes with oil squirters to support oil-cooled pistons. Since the GTE block supports squirters, it has a slightly larger oil pump which also contains a mounting bracket for the crank sensor. The GTE cam trigger is located on the intake side of the head. Consequently, installing a GTE head on a GE block will only provide a cam trigger because the GE oil pump doesn't support a crank trigger. Cam and crank trigger is provided by the distributor on a GE motor.

-scott
Old 11-01-06, 08:11 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh?

Yeah DaveH's car with a 250k mile junkyard motor that ran low 9s... yeah it won't hold much power

Or how about that RWD Probe running low 9s (and soon to be 8s) with a stock GE block?

Did all the newbies come out of the woodwork? What happened here? Does anyone do research?
Old 11-02-06, 07:17 AM
Twin Turbo
Rookie

let me rephrase to those that didnt understand what I meant in the first post.

Stock GE wont hold ****!

Who wants to use stock GE internals in a drag car anyway?

Of course I know people use GE block because with those oil squirters, supposely it gives out unstable oil pressure for those high hp applications.

In order for you to use GTE head, you need gte wiring or standalone and custom wiring, whatever. see what I meant by its harder to use gte head on GE block? Of course it's almost identical, I never stated that GE block with gte internals wont hold it, its the GE stock bottom that wont hold power.

Use stock head with upgraded valvetrain, and throw in some gte internals with gte headgasket, I have no doubt that you can hit 600hp (of course you need other stuff to reach that)

Dont start off with this noob stuff please, remember there are always people with more knowledge than you
Old 11-02-06, 09:58 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you keep insisting that the stock GE won't hold any power?
Old 11-03-06, 02:12 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont start off with this noob stuff please, remember there are always people with more knowledge than you
I think the pot is calling the kettle black.

Simple fact: the GE block found in the SC300 is quite stout... don't believe the small army telling you otherwise? Talk with Dave H who makes a habit of putting GE-T cars into the single digits.

Still not happy? Find Ethan Banks as ask him about his first SC300.

Still not buying it? Call Sound Performance, Boost Logic, PM Motorsports, WOTM, SP Engineering, Titan Motorsports, Turbo East, or SRT.

If after all this, you are still convinced the GE is a pile of garbage, I will not argue with you... Al Gore did invent the internet, the world is indeed flat (and we're not talking about economic globalization), yes, girls do have coodies, oh, and the GE is made out of toothpicks and wet tissue paper, spraypainted silver with recycled plastic piston heads and paper clips for rods.
Old 11-03-06, 02:40 AM
Twin Turbo
Rookie

All I am saying is why not put in GTE internals with GTE headgasket into GE and be set with? I know TE, SP, ETC made good #s with GE block, because I've only had GE engines

All I know is that GE block is definately higher compression than GTE, also the rods in there are a lot thinner than the GTE rods, thus GTE holds more power in both stock block.
Old 11-03-06, 07:47 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

...also the rods in there are a lot thinner than the GTE rods, thus GTE holds more power in both stock block.
Pre VVT-i GE motors have exactly the same rods as the GTE motor. I'm not trying to flame you here, but please get your facts straight. I suggest you read the Supra New Car Feature book (http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/) cover-to-cover before posting more information that is incorrect. (Specifically, see pages 37 and 80)

Regards,
-scott
Old 11-03-06, 09:00 AM
Twin Turbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Pre VVT-i GE motors have exactly the same rods as the GTE motor. I'm not trying to flame you here, but please get your facts straight. I suggest you read the Supra New Car Feature book (http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/) cover-to-cover before posting more information that is incorrect. (Specifically, see pages 37 and 80)

Regards,
-scott
Well thanks for correcting me Scott