Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need a New Clutch Disc and What else??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 02:33 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a New Clutch Disc and What else??

Hey I had my clutch disc replaced with my engine in May, ($40 Autozone one....don't EVER buy one of those again). So here I sit in October, 5 months later and the clutch is just about toast. If it ever heats up a little bit it starts slipping like CRAZY!

Anyways I want to go OEM because I figure if it lasted for 160k before this then it should be good for a lot longer than this last one was.

I also have a squeak from my throwout bearing I believe. but I'm trying to figure out costs and what else should I go ahead and replace, if anything while I'm in there.

I'm not looking for OEM quality, I'm looking for parts strait from Toyota, enough of this aftermarket crap.
Old 10-02-06, 06:36 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A clutch consists of several components that should always be addressed at the same time.

From the inside out...

The flywheel pilot bearing ... the transmission input shaft rides in this and when the transmission is removed, should always be replaced.

The flywheel ... It should be removed and resurfaced or replaced if warped or excessively grooved and cannot be resurfaced.

The clutch disk ... Always replace with a new one. As you are aware now, rebuilt ones don't last long.

The clutch pressure plate ... Should also be replaced with a new unit.
A rebuilt has the surface thickness cutaway. (common cause of high petal clutch release)

The clutch throwout (release) bearing ... An additional part always replaced with a new assembly.

An inspection of the condition of the master and slave hydraulic cylinders.

Replacement of the brake fluid used in the clutch hydraulic system.
Old 10-03-06, 02:40 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a centerforce stage 2 pp. U pay shipping and 5 bucks. I'll send it to you. Perfectly working condition. lighter and holds more power than stock
Old 11-30-06, 07:06 PM
OakTwnPnoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tammy
A clutch consists of several components that should always be addressed at the same time.

From the inside out...

The flywheel pilot bearing ... the transmission input shaft rides in this and when the transmission is removed, should always be replaced.

The flywheel ... It should be removed and resurfaced or replaced if warped or excessively grooved and cannot be resurfaced.

The clutch disk ... Always replace with a new one. As you are aware now, rebuilt ones don't last long.

The clutch pressure plate ... Should also be replaced with a new unit.
A rebuilt has the surface thickness cutaway. (common cause of high petal clutch release)

The clutch throwout (release) bearing ... An additional part always replaced with a new assembly.

An inspection of the condition of the master and slave hydraulic cylinders.

Replacement of the brake fluid used in the clutch hydraulic system.

You should also replace the rear main seal while the tranny is out.
Old 11-30-06, 07:45 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up getting the centerforce dual friction clutch kit and having it installed. I love it, feels exactly like stock but there will never be any slippage of this clutch. And I can have a little fun with it when I want.

Turns out the clutch disc was a little worn, but the pressure plate had hot spots on it and was warped, thats why it felt the way it was.
Old 11-30-06, 08:49 PM
Mr.Drury
Driver School Candidate

Hi TMaxxTim,

I am glad you like your new clutch setup, are you noticing any performance gains? I've heard that Centerforce or ACT clutch kits (not to be mistaken for flywheels) weigh a little less that stock. In addition, were some of the symptoms of your needing to replace a clutch similar to my post titled, Odd issue with my manual transmission, basically I am having difficulty engaging gears once the car comes to a complete stop and it's been driven for a while, when cold it's all good, but after 20 or 30 minutes, it becomes a pain to engage gears.

Any advice would be nice,

Thanks
Old 11-30-06, 11:35 PM
OakTwnPnoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr.Drury
Hi TMaxxTim,

I am glad you like your new clutch setup, are you noticing any performance gains? I've heard that Centerforce or ACT clutch kits (not to be mistaken for flywheels) weigh a little less that stock. In addition, were some of the symptoms of your needing to replace a clutch similar to my post titled, Odd issue with my manual transmission, basically I am having difficulty engaging gears once the car comes to a complete stop and it's been driven for a while, when cold it's all good, but after 20 or 30 minutes, it becomes a pain to engage gears.

Any advice would be nice,

Thanks

Maybe your clutch is not disengaging all the way when you push the pedal.