Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LS1 Corvette engine in an SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 05:59 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Corvette engine in an SC400?

Most lexus owners cringe at the thought of dropping a GM engine in a lexus...But after looking into the power and building potential of the LS1 engine and knowing they dyno close to 300whp at stock., With cams and exhaust mods you can ad an addition 100hp for relatively very cheap... The 5.7 Liter LS1 Vette/Camaro engines is very close in size and weight in comparison to the Xuz-fe motors...Steering and suspension should not be effected..Fitment should not be a problem, just welding new motor mounts will be needed...Possible . Flat header design may be needed for the swap also, along with a bellhousing, drive shaft mod, integration of the instrumentation and a few other details could be challenging as well.....

There is no better engine to buy at the yards today that gives you the best bang for the buck... If that swap is to be considered I think the GM drive train swap maybe easier to make the entire swap work all together..More hp holding capacity as well....Any thoughts on this big swap idea fellas?

To have an NA motor that produces 375whp would be rock'n in an SC, and I don't think it has been done yet......I can get a complete LS1 engine, ECU and wiring with 79,000 miles on it for $1200 at the yards... These LS1 engines are all over the place and easy to find for cheap.........

NOTE: I still do believe the Xuz-fe engines are a far better designed engine then the LS1 with the dual over head cams, reliabiltiy and durability factor...That would be missed for sure..But if your lucky you can maybe squeeze 300whp if you go all out NA speaking on these import 4.0 liter LEX motors....LS1 can be built much easier and cheaper and produce way more juice. I have to ride the nos with my SC400 just to get to those LS1 power levels..

Any input or suggestions would be welcome......
Attached Images  

Last edited by jibbby; 06-30-06 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 06:12 PM
Ethix
Driver

I definitely think it's a good idea. The LS1 puts out plenty of power and is apparently a very light weight engine as well. Hinson Supercars installs them in Rx7's all the time and they claim that it only weighs a few pounds more all said and done. I imagine if you install it in an SC400 you'd actually lose some weight. (You could also pick up a T56 (?) 6spd tranny for it as well.....sweet) The hardest part would be wiring it up (and getting custom motor mounts and a driveshaft obviously).

I know if you swap an engine from the same manufacturer into your car it has to be from the same production year or newer to pass inspection, but what about different manufacturers?

-Mark
Old 06-30-06, 06:17 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the little thing will kill you, get a rebuilt 2j do a NA-T u can easily hit 400hp. if u really want to drop a LS1 in a Lexus go for it but its gona be a pain.
The following users liked this post:
CurtK (08-24-23)
Old 06-30-06, 06:39 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Its possible, but I think the 2JZ-GTE would still be the better choice along the terms of how easy it would be.
Alot of RX-7 guys are going the LS1 route now. Down the road when you start building on the motor it doesn't go boom like alot of 13bs go. I have a freind that is now in the 10's with his FD and hes gone through about 4 motors.
I don't see a real gain over the GTE, both motors are realiable. Both make about same power, one has more tourqe. One is a pretty close drop in and play. Some custom fab work would be needed for the LS1.
On the other hand you would proabbly be the frist to do it.
Old 06-30-06, 06:40 PM
jibbby

$c300- I can weld so the custom mounts amd custom drive shaft are not problems that I am nervous about...It is all the wiring like you said to wprk right with the lexus instruments and other componente...Take it one wire at a time I guess.... The little things will be the hardest part for sure......Getting everything in and fitting I think will be the easiest part...,

Ethix - I am glad you know what I am talking about in regards to the LS1 engines, I just think they have so much power potential for building up amd cheap as well. I just think you can't go wrong with the LS1 for hotrodding... That would be sneaky pulling up in an SC400 with the 400hp+ Vette engine rumbling under the hood... Good NA power is always responsive, and very reliable....

A stand alone ECU maybe a better option for all wiring connections as well as engine management..... In conclusion if the swap was so easy more people would do it right?... Hobbies are challenging and that is the fun part, going where no man or few have gone before and making it work, The trick is doing this without losing your mind or bank roll... ....

Last edited by jibbby; 06-30-06 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 07:14 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Buy an LS1 Camaro/Trans AM
Old 06-30-06, 10:53 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

don't bastardize the sc. But it think it will be hot. If you want gobs of power just boos the the 2J it works and has been done many times with staggering results.
Old 07-01-06, 12:11 PM
jibbby

Hey, the Toyota motors are built the best, but again fhe best engine for buck that produces the most power has got to be the LS1 motors... I would defenetely pull the engine and trans out of a 97 + Vette and keep the Lexus rear end, custumize the fitment of a new driveshaft and should be set...... I use to own a 91 Corvette Convertable years back and, the cast iron block LT1 engine and tranny were solid pulll even with 130,000 miles but the rest of the car was a rattle box and ready to be junked....Now the newer alluminum LS1 block that puts out way more power I could imagine would be oh so much nicer....

Those LS1 engines are a pretty good engine for what it is....Too bad it does not have dual over head cams like the Xuz-fe's but the power potential is grand in those motors...

I am so pulling in the LS1 direction, I just think it would be rock'n with a few additional mod's...The T56 trannies are solid as hell...I wonder what the Hp holding capacity is in those older Vetter trannies? I guess I can look it up....I would guess it would be alot more then my stock lexus Sc400 tranny....

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THAT SWAP IS WIRING UP THE LEXUS INSTRUMENTATION..WHICH WOULD BE VERY CHALLENGING.....

Last edited by jibbby; 07-03-06 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 09:20 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

I would be interested in the outcome of this. Today I rode in a TTZO6 and and couple years back rode in a 900whp SP74 powered Supra and the power bands are so different I completely see why the LS1 swap would be a sweet way to go. Off boost power, boost lag and the torque of the LS1 is worlds above the high HP Supras I have ridden in. Boosted LS1s have a much more usable power.
Old 07-04-06, 06:20 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

I say go for it. I would love to stuff a LT5 into my SC400. But those are just too much money.

And when you get it done you can help me do mine.

I really wish the Toyota V-8 had a larger aftermarket. I would love to build up the 4.0, but there isn't a whole lot that can be done for reasonable $$. Maybe a few years from now it will improve.

Last edited by BiZ; 07-04-06 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-04-06, 06:45 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jibbby

I am so pulling in the LS1 direction, I just think it would be rock'n with a few additional mod's...The T56 trannies are solid as hell...I wonder what the Hp holding capacity is in those older Vetter trannies? I guess I can look it up....I would guess it would be alot more then my stock lexus Sc400 tranny....
Depending on what you mean by older, the vette trannys are pretty strong out of the box.
Old 07-04-06, 01:33 PM
jibbby

I am so suprised I am getting positive feedback on this subject...Gm products in Lexus cars don't go over very well on lexus forums usually except for maybe forged piston and rods to be installed on a bored out toyota motor......However, you guys know where I am coming from...

Nolonger - yes these LS1 engines when built can blow away the competition and are vantastic motors to modify for the money......The alluminum block also makes them light in weight which is a huge plus.....You really can't go wrong with these 5.7L motors.....For the money spent swapping in a another import motor and then turbo and or building up my current 1uz-fe further then turbo or supercharging does not make money sense to me...That is why I am looking into this LS1 swaps with a strong desire....

My biggest road block for me is that instrumentation integration...I mean where does one start with that? There must be 30 connections coming out of the stock cluster alone.. Then you have other sensor reads, etc....I am pretty good with electrical but maybe not that good... I fear I may come up short in this department... I guess you start with all the stock Wiring diagrams, and then find out what wire works to what and then go one wire at a time....I suppose that is the approach I would take..Alot of trial and error...

Stand Alone ECU's control engine management but not in cabin instruments...too bad... I am still researching on this road block...but i think it is doable.....
Old 07-04-06, 02:14 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Since you can flash GM Eproms to what ever configuration you have it would make sense to try and use a factory vette ecu.
Old 03-10-13, 02:19 PM
Petty2000
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the middle of a 6.0 LS swap into a 93 SC400. Economically the best way to go with a drivetrain that is a dependable as anything out there and plenty of power on tap . So far no major snags on anything . I will keep you informed as we hope to be finished in the next 6 wheels or so .
Old 03-10-13, 03:42 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petty2000
I'm in the middle of a 6.0 LS swap into a 93 SC400. Economically the best way to go with a drivetrain that is a dependable as anything out there and plenty of power on tap . So far no major snags on anything . I will keep you informed as we hope to be finished in the next 6 wheels or so .
this thread is almost 7 years old

Quick Reply: LS1 Corvette engine in an SC400?