Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Passing emissions with Headers..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 12:09 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing emissions with Headers..

I am wondering if anyone has or knows of a functioning EGR kit for an aftermarket header SC400 setup?...I am aware of the heat sensor that is located on the stock headers that works with the EGR system to make it all function. I had thought about welding that same stock heat sensor onto my S@S Headers in or around the same position and keep the EGR system functioning rather then blocking it.... I was told the heat sensor readings would be off and my idea would not work...Info came from JBrady the designer of the S&S Headers...

Looking to keep my emissions intact, reggy and smog are coming up soon too...Besides I have been learning more and more about are declining Eco system, Global warming, continued use of fosil fuels, population increase, Ice cap melting, Ocean warming trends, Ozone depletion, etc...etc..and want to do my part with the EGR...big part (yeah right) anyway... That is some scary stuff that is going to rear it's ugly head soon...

Since there is no real power gains to be made or lost with or without the EGR system it only makes sense try and keep it running....Any kits, techniques, or suggestions would be appreciated....

This is a pic of the header design for the SC400's....
Attached Thumbnails Passing emissions with Headers..-hpim0445a.jpg  
Old 05-29-06, 12:15 PM
jibbby

This is a picture of the EGR block deletion kit which everyone seems to use when installing headers... This is what I don't want to use....
Attached Thumbnails Passing emissions with Headers..-hpim0446b.jpg  
Old 05-29-06, 07:35 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

This doesnt answer your question. But why dont you hold off on installing the headers til after the smog check since its coming up soon?
It seems like you will need to be creative as it is. If you want to pass smog in Cali, with your current list of mods.
Old 05-29-06, 07:41 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the EGR system hooked up to my headers (Tex's). I used to pass emissions when I had cats.

I've found a better alternative than installing and reinstalling my cats and test pipes though.
Old 05-29-06, 08:01 PM
jibbby

The EGR recirculates exhaust gases thru the intake which lowers the NOX and helps with emissions and pre ingnition....Deletion of EGR gives you a cleaner intake and richer fuel mix..No reported power gains.... I was hoping someone had tried welding that heat sensor off the stock manifold either onto the new headers or somewhere on the exhaust system to save the EGR... I have been told that in California once the EGR is deleted there is no way too pass smog inspections....That is my biggest delema, I don't have a shaddy hookup, I guess I could switch license plates, vin plate and door code to a friends SC to pass at a local Smog check in a couple of years but I want to see if there is a way to keep this thing legit.....Come on people help me out on this one......

KEEP THE EGR functioning with aftermarket headers????????? Someone has had to pull this off..... I really was hoping I would not have to be the ginnea pig on this quest... Rewelding that heat flange sensor somewhere on the Exhaust system where it will get a good read has got to be the answer but where?..... Nothing on Lextreme on this except subject except " it won't work" but I have heard that before.....Thought maybe you guys on the Club might have a answer for me???????.

PS... I do use the search functions first on both forums...Oh and I can still pass smog with all my mods now, at worst I would just need to temporarily disable my piggyback ECU to pass and that is not a big deal for me.......
Attached Thumbnails Passing emissions with Headers..-hpim0446a.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 05-29-06 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-29-06, 08:10 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

I've pulled it off.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/89478-tex-s-headers-on-us-sc400.html
Old 05-29-06, 08:16 PM
jibbby

Verylost thank you so much........I thought you hated me?????

It appears you welded the flange just below your down pipes is that correct?....Do you get a clean read and is the EGR still functioning like stock? Is that the same stock sensor you used off your original stock exhaust manifold? Lastly, any ill effects to speak of?????

Verylost you da man!!!!!

Ps.. I just clicked your link thread....tand most of my questions are answered...Thanks again.. That is a sweet exhaust setup you have their too.. Love the X member....

Last edited by jibbby; 05-29-06 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-29-06, 08:19 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

no, yes, yes, yes, no.
Old 05-29-06, 08:27 PM
jibbby

I appreciate the help and all my questions are answered.... I will do what you did.....Amazing, I did hear that it could be welded somewhere onto the down pipe from John Brady but was not perfected and an exact location was not yet determined........
Old 05-30-06, 04:53 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by verylost
no, yes, yes, yes, no.
LOL... those are great answers.... Jibby, we all love you....
Old 05-30-06, 07:19 PM
jibbby

I loved the direct short answers also. I almost commented on that on my previous post...Classic Love ya too Lex...

Last edited by jibbby; 05-30-06 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 02:33 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Jib,

EGR is not a sensor. It is a port that ducts exhaust gas back to the EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). All you need is the flange welded on the downpipe AFTER the headers and a flexible line back to the EGR valve on the back of the engine. This is not like an oxygen sensor that can function differently if moved from the stock location.
Old 05-31-06, 03:00 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by jbrady
Jib,

EGR is not a sensor. It is a port that ducts exhaust gas back to the EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). All you need is the flange welded on the downpipe AFTER the headers and a flexible line back to the EGR valve on the back of the engine. This is not like an oxygen sensor that can function differently if moved from the stock location.
Hey John, I know exactly what the EGR is and does, I also know that it recycles exhaust gases back into the intake which dirty's up the inside of the engines internals, but lowers NOX and is essential for passing smog in California...I understand that the EGR valve in not an oxygen sensor also.. John, I was just clueless as to where to re-mount the flange on the down pipes...A while ago you had mentioned to me in a post that the flange cannot be mounted onto the S&S headers but somewhere on or beyond the down pipes...Wasn't sure if a specific location was essential for flow to the valve... I figured if the flange can't be re-welded onto the S&S headers there must be a reason why? The headers pass the same exhaust gases as the downpipes but just at a different flow rate. I thought that was an important factor in determining a location for the flange...It now appears that it does not matter all that much......is this true?