Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

started 1jz swap..came across something..ALTERNATOR PLUG

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 02:04 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz swap continuation and issues arrise..now...DRIVESHAFT

alright here's the deal. I have a 95 sc3 and im assuming the 1jz motorset i got is for the previous years. Here's my dilemna:

-the stock 2jz alternator has 2 plugs: a rectangle electrical plug with around 3 wires and a power wire that bolts on to a 12 mm hex nut.

STOCK 2JZGE ALTERNATOR HARNESS COMES FROM THE BODY HARNESS OF THE ENGINE BAY

-the 1jz alternator has the same 2 plugs but the DIFFERENCE is that the 1jz electrical harness is OVAL SHAPED and its coming from the ENGINE harness of the 1jz rather than the BODY HARNESS unlike the stock 2jz set up.

so here's the deal, if i use the 1jz alternator, the electrical plug is not an issue b/c of course the oval shape will mate up to the alternator..NO PROBLEM...but now i can use the stock power 12mm wire to the alternator thats coming from the STOCK BODY HARNESS of the 2jzge set up of the engine bay. The 2 plugs thats necessary for the alternator will be connected. BUT, since the stock 2jzge alternator electrical plug is connected to the body harness, it will be left there unplug and not being used.

So will that work since thats the only way I can think of right now. OR will it have some issues with the stock 2jz alternator electrical plug not bein connected?

Sorry if this sounds like nonsense or gibberish to you guys. I would appreciate any help. I will be trying that and hopefully the car will start ok. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

CANT WAIT FOR THE 1JZ TO RUN...

Last edited by happypanda; 04-12-06 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 03:09 PM
kaosman
Driver

You need to use the chassis wiring to get the alternator to work. Since my stock 2JZ-GE alternator was a bit flaky I kept the 1JZ alt and cut the connector off the 1JZ harness, and spliced it onto the chassis wiring. The color codes are identical, just cut and reconnect.
Old 04-11-06, 04:45 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

ok..so u just have the 1jz alt wiring coming from the 1jz engine harness cut and left it? and used the existing stock 2jz alternater body harness....ill do that....thanks man.
Old 04-11-06, 04:49 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lternator

Originally Posted by kaosman
You need to use the chassis wiring to get the alternator to work. Since my stock 2JZ-GE alternator was a bit flaky I kept the 1JZ alt and cut the connector off the 1JZ harness, and spliced it onto the chassis wiring. The color codes are identical, just cut and reconnect.
why is it flakey ? I was going to go back to the 2j alt because it has more amps
Old 04-11-06, 06:17 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

so i can just use the 2jz alternator..use the existing plugs for it and leave the 1jz alternator harness unplug and hanging? would that work too?
Old 04-11-06, 06:27 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

When I had my car, I kept killing alternators. When the third one started to show low amperage, I took that ish out and had it re-round to 150. I think stock is roughly 90-100.

just a thought if you plan on having a stereo and a lot of gauges.
Old 04-11-06, 09:06 PM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
why is it flakey ? I was going to go back to the 2j alt because it has more amps
My 150K mile 2JZ alternator was charging the battery at about 13.2 volts...the 1JZ was at a healthy 14.2. What I meant was my well-used 2JZ alternator was probably on its way out, and I stuck with the 1JZ.
Old 04-11-06, 09:08 PM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by happypanda
so i can just use the 2jz alternator..use the existing plugs for it and leave the 1jz alternator harness unplug and hanging? would that work too?
You could do that, that would probably be better. What is key is that you want to use the chassis harness.
Old 04-12-06, 08:39 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

got it thanks guys.now i will be changing my title for updates....

first of all 1jz is IN mounted and everything..i do came across a problem...im using soarer auto tranny and the driveshaft just wouldnt slide in nicely. anyone had the same problem? what did you guys do? I will be doing this tomorrow. So I would appreciate any help.

Now just waiting for more parts to come in so i can complete and start her up. Good day.