Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What is so great about the SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 07:34 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
The Soarer motorset is a completely P&P swap for the SC. My car is a daily driver, idles like my stock motor, as comfortable as any modern luxury coupe, get mid 20 MPG and blows the doors off of any G35, 350Z, STI and SR20 240.
I couldn't have said it any better myself

Don't forget to add all those modern v8 domestics that get smoked on the highway like a joke
Old 04-07-06, 07:52 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I recently sold my SC and I think I made the biggest mistake...ever! I just cna't seen to replace it with any other car for the price.

The tan/brown interior is a very easy fix. I stripped mine out and replaced all the brown with black...like this....

Then I took the slow and tired stock motor and replaced it with this:

and even un painted it can look like this....

I'm searching for my second SC, but this time it has to be a full black interior 97-2000 with less than 80K on it.

Peter
Old 04-07-06, 08:02 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i wonder how that interior scheme will look with the gray interior. i guess ill have to find out. god that car was sick. I hope the new owner doesnt n00b it out. Altho i think if that car had a lip, side skirts, a bright paint job, some crazy graphics, carbon viber trunk and hood... and that would be the sickest car ever.

Im not a fan of riced out cars, but when your putting down 600+hp in a crazy swapped SC thats done 100% right.. i think the car would only profit (from a popularity and magazine point of view) to have some "rice" on it.

Look at cowboys supra. That car has a kit, stickers, rims, slammed, CF, etc etc.. and its the sickest supra ive ever seen.
Old 04-07-06, 08:20 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

i did have side skirts oem...
Old 04-07-06, 09:36 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

detuned i just want to say that i am very disappointed that you sold your car. you need to get a new one and build a version 2.0

as for everyone else, i agree that there is nothing better than spanking on some big boys, then cruising it for a nice dinner with clients and having them (who own multi thousand dollar mercedes, bmw, porche etc.) asking for a ride because they like it more than their own.
Old 04-09-06, 11:14 PM
vietstuh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Think of it this way.

I can run the qt mile in the 12's full weight and drive back home while confusing people that it's a lexus.

I can beat a corvette on the highway, then cruize to a dead silence with George Winston's CD playing.

I can attend an Import Meet, and have many ask questions regarding the car and get attention.

I can park next to a car that is 10 years younger, and still make it seem as if my car is an 06.

I can go to a roadcourse, full weight, and still take on some cars on the track.

And I can go home, park, and know that my 10 year old car still gets more looks, handles as well if not better, pulls harder, looks newer, then many cars on the road today.

The sc300 isnt your average silvia where you can find many cheap parts and just throw them together. Its a higher platform and definitely a different league. The SC is slow, but that can be fixed. The SC is heavy, but that can be fixed. Cars such as the silvia lack luxury, which cannot be fixed.
wow.. u make me proud to be the new owner of a sc300.. my friend who drives an is300 was convincing me that the sc300 was a heavy, unbalanced pos... =/
Old 04-11-06, 10:29 AM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Corbic
Don't get me wrong, I love how the car looks, but I just can't seem to justify the cost of buying one.
While the car is great looking, it lacked the TT I6 the rest of the world recieved, meaning at while it boasts a handsome 225hp, at 3,500lbs it qutie the little piggy. Even worse, the gas mileage is dismal, ~18mpg on premium fuel. Additionally manual cars are limited (thanks in part to the way Lexus packages options and sells them) and all of the US cars have that horrific brown/tan interior, even worse when matched up with green or two tone white and grey.

I'm told the car share a lot in common with the Supra, how true is this. Is it just the same drive line, or under the sheet metal are they the same. Will suspension, swaps, struts, exhuast et al be the same for the two cars?

Thanks,
(not trying to start a flame war, just want some postive answers and opinions)
My car was 5,000 It's a '92 5 speed in fair condition. As the car sits stock, I cannot compare to other stock used cars for 5,000$ - which would probably be a Honda or something of the sort. I get compliments all the time on my stock SC, and people don't believe me when I tell them it's a '92. They think its like a '98 or newer model. Yes the car is heavy, but in its stock trim its still not bad considering its weight and horsepower. Again, compare it to the other cars you could get for the price, and it totally blows them away. On top of all this it's basically a Supra with a Lexus body, and if you have plans to modify the car you can make it drive and look like a million bucks. Whether you keep it stock or want to mod, it's a nice car, it's a Lexus, it's reliable (hasnt left me stranded anywhere in 2+ years, OEM engine, 160k), and it's inexpensive if you're patient and find the right deal.
Old 04-11-06, 03:23 PM
kaosman
Driver

I used to drive a '99 Prelude SH as my daily driver, and replaced it with my Lexus. Best move I ever could have made. Even stock, my 5-speed SC300 was only slightly slower than the Prelude. Of course, stock for stock, the handling isn't the same but its not bad either. With the 1JZ swap, it really wakes the car up. There's no better feeling than driving a complete sleeper.

I'm a consultant. I drive at least 400 miles a week. I've got over 3K on my 1JZ swap and the last time I had to fiddle with anything under the hood was during the 3 days it took me to install it. It gets 22 mpg on the freeway, starts every time I turn the key and has consistant performance. Between a 450 rwhp FD and 240SX with a standalone & SR20, I find myself driving the Lexus the most. Its just more civilized.