Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Timer with swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 06:32 PM
2JZGTE SC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Timer with swap?

I recently completed the swap for my SC300. Right from Japan a J-Spec 2JZGTE conversion. I installed a full line of HKS parts, but I cannot get the turbo timer hooked up. Is there anyone out there who has done the swap and was able to hook up the HKS Type -1 Turbo Timer? The shop that helped me with the car said that it couldnt be done, due to the telescoping steering wheel. I even bouht the TT harnes for a 95 Supra.This is killing me! Any insite would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-27-06, 06:38 PM
NyanaDream
Driver School Candidate

If it is both water/oil cooled you don't need it. Just don't abuse it right before you shut it off and before you do let it sit for maybe 15 secs. Using synthetic oils along with constant oil changes will prevent any oil from caking on the bearings.
Old 03-27-06, 06:47 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Just let your car sit for a couple minutes after hard driving
Old 03-27-06, 07:05 PM
GReddySetG
Pole Position

The shop can swap a motor but can't install a turbo timer?
Old 03-27-06, 09:50 PM
2JZGTE SC
Rookie

I had the an HKS TT in my last car, so I can always gauge how long I should wait before shutting it off. But yea how rediculous is that the shop can do the whole swap but not install a TT.

Does anyone know how to make this work? Anyone do the swap and had sucess installing a Turbo Timer? Its a very important compent to a turbocharged car. Thanks
Old 03-28-06, 10:38 AM
GReddySetG
Pole Position

Its like 4 wires to wire it up. It has nothing to do with the telescoping steering wheel. If you were in CA I would install it for you
Old 03-28-06, 10:38 AM
kaosman
Driver

Wow, that's scary that they can't install the turbo timer due to the telescoping steering wheel...duh, the ignition is in the dash.

It can be done easily. Its been a while since I installed one without a harness, so double check your instruction booklet. For the Greddy auto timer, you'll have about 4 wires that need to be spliced into the ignition wiring off of the switch. You've got 1 constant 12v, 2 wires for 12v switched when the ignition is turned "On", and one for 12v "Accessory". If you've got the shop manual it should be a no brainer, otherwise hook up a voltmeter and check voltage at the ignition switch terminals at the Off, Acc, and On positions. Then hook the wires up accordingly. There will be a single black wire, hook that up to a good ground position under the dash.

Then there will be another harness with a speed & parking brake wire...you can leave the speed wire alone, but hook the parking brake wire up to the harness for the brake lever. That's pretty much it...like I said, the above is for a Greddy, but they all kinda function the same.
Old 03-28-06, 11:09 AM
GReddySetG
Pole Position

Yeah, reguardless of which brand TT you have, they all install the same. Only diffrences is additional functions diffrent TT's may have, like some have a speed signal, or tach/rpm built in, A'PEX-i has a built in A/F gauge. Those are all wired seperately, but all still easy to wire (1 additional wire).

But Kaosman is correct on the wiring. Red wire is constant 12v, now I THINK, blue is ACC and green is IGN. But it could be the other way around. Black is ground. The parking brake wire CAN be grounded, but I always hook it up to the parking brake. The parking brake wire is usually a brown one coming out of the TT, I believe this is true for both HKS and GReddy. Just check the install instructions though for the proper wiring instructions. Use a volt meter or test light to find the correct wires.
Old 03-28-06, 09:10 PM
2JZGTE SC
Rookie

Yea i wish i was in Cali.

I never understood what this guy at the shop was explaining. And I even went ahead and specificly bought the HKS TT harness for a '95 Supra, since that was the year of the engine I put in the SC.
Old 03-28-06, 09:34 PM
2JZGTE SC
Rookie

Yea i wish i was in Cali.

I never understood what this guy at the shop was explaining. And I even went ahead and specificly bought the HKS TT harness for a '95 Supra, since that was the year of the engine I put in the SC
Old 03-28-06, 11:17 PM
GReddySetG
Pole Position

Yeah, unfortunately, the TT harness won't work. The engine you have is irrelevant. The TT harness is made for the car. It goes on the ignition harness behind your steering wheel/dash. The Supra TT harness will not work on an SC. You have to hard wire the TT in yourself, so you might as well return the harness.