Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help please car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 10:27 AM
h22integ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please car won't start

Okay, I know I'm a girl and most girls dont kno anything about cars but I changed my trunk lift supports in about 20 minutes and I got another problem now. My car won't start, it doesn't even crank. Sounds like the battery is dead but all the lights and radio comes on. I bought the car with an aftermarket radio would that have something to do with it or maybe a wire is loose cause i changed the connector any help would be appreciated or pics
Old 02-14-06, 11:05 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS it possible while wiring through the center console that u never engaged the shifter back to "park"?

You may want to add a timeline as to when the last time the car started and what was done prior to not being able to start?
Old 02-14-06, 11:11 AM
h22integ
Driver School Candidate

It was in neutral

didnt start sunday morning, didnt start last light ,and didnt start this morning I havent done anything except change the connectors yesterday

This is exactly what i do: I put my foot on the clutch, the key is in the on position, the lights and the radio are on, then i go to turn it the car doesnt start.

Before that the car started no problem a few times it wouldn't start but i would just pop the hood n wiggle the connectors a lil bit and it would start up no problem
Old 02-14-06, 11:14 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

sounds like those connectors need some attention. I'd have them checked soon before you have a burn down.
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

I had an instance with mine where the battery cable was just a little loose and the lights would come on but didnt give enough juice to start the car. After wiggling the battery cables the better connection allowed the car to start. My problem was cause by the previous owner putting too small a battery in (resulting in the battery not being able to be fastened adequetly), allowing the battery to shift around during driving, loosening the cables up.
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by h22integ
Before that the car started no problem a few times it wouldn't start but i would just pop the hood n wiggle the connectors a lil bit and it would start up no problem
Since you said this, it appears that your battery connections are not tight enough. This can result in a trickle down of the battery. First try and tighten down those connections. If that doesn't work the battery is likely dead.
Old 02-14-06, 11:24 AM
h22integ
Driver School Candidate

The connectors are on right and tight and the ones before them were too. But, there's nothing holding down the battery when I drive so I'm guessing the battery would move around and get loose. I just dont know what to replace: the battery, connector, wires, or should I get something to hold the battery in place?
Old 02-14-06, 11:42 AM
cip
Pole Position

It was in neutral
didnt start sunday morning, didnt start last light ,and didnt start this morning I havent done anything except change the connectors yesterday
This is exactly what i do: I put my foot on the clutch, the key is in the on position, the lights and the radio are on, then i go to turn it the car doesnt start.
when you go from 'ON' to 'START' does the radio stop and/or lights go out/dim? Do you even hear a click like the starter is trying?

My wife had a similar problem & it was the steering wheel lock.. When it's in teh 'ON' position can you move the wheel? If not try jiggling that, too.

I've driven b-4 w/o the battery hold down, no it's not safe, but if the connections are tight you should be able to start the car...but get a hold down anyway

-Cip
Old 02-14-06, 11:57 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

The connectors are on right and tight and the ones before them were too. But, there's nothing holding down the battery when I drive so I'm guessing the battery would move around and get loose. I just dont know what to replace: the battery, connector, wires, or should I get something to hold the battery in place?

Your connection are tight yet you said you would "wiggle the cables"? If when "wiggling" you are not moving the actual connections, then there is more than likely a poor connection either with the battery ground or to the starter. Now that I think, I would lean to starter since you get power to your accessories. Pull the battery and run it down to a Pep Boys. They will test your battery for free I believe.
Old 02-14-06, 01:50 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

if the battery cable is wiggle-able, and the screw/nut is at the tightest you can get it, file off some of the connector. The part where the gap is. File until you can get it tight so that it doesn't wiggle. And yes you should get a battery tie down, I may have mines lying around now since I relocated to the trunk.