Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 trans fluid and Throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 09:26 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 trans fluid and Throttle body?

Well, I just got done looking at the transmission dipstick and the fluid was a light red. Which I have no clue if that is good or not. Second, It was filled quite a ways up the stick. Is the fluid good or bad and is the level ok?

The car is a 1992 SC400 with 174,000 miles on it. I have only had it for 3-4 months now and it drives smooth I just wanted to make sure everything was ok.

I am including a bad photo which you can see the fluid color near the left side of the photo. The fluid was just a little above the text on the dipstick "Type VI".

The throttle body however was pretty clean except for the backside of it.

Here's a few throttle body pics.

Also, I am including pics of inside the Intake Manifold just to show how much gunk is in their.

Anyway I am just curious as to if any of the build up in there is cause for concern? What should I do if it is determined that I need to clean it some how?

Thanks for reading
Old 01-23-06, 10:13 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for a 92 in my opinion you have normal amounts of carbon build-up, now some people use products like sea foam and other 100% petroleum products to clean out that carbon build-up in their engines, I have heard it from both sides, people swearing it helps and people who after using seafoam have ripped apart their engines to see no difference and have said it’s a useless product, anyway you look at it I don’t think you could lose, just buy a bottle of the stuff, if it helps job well done, and if it doesn’t well you lost a couple of bucks.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.p...hlight=seafoam

Tommy

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 01-23-06 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-23-06, 10:15 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm jealous of your SC4 with no TRAC
Old 01-23-06, 10:20 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexiss_sc400
for a 92 in my opinion you have normal amounts of carbon build-up, now some people use products like sea foam and other 100% petroleum products to clean out that carbon build-up in their engines, I have heard it from both sides, people swearing it helps and people who after using seafoam have ripped apart their engines to see no difference and have said it’s a useless product, anyway you look at it I don’t think you could lose, just buy a bottle of the stuff, if it helps job well done, and if it doesn’t well you lost a couple of bucks.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Tommy
I have done some reading on that stuff and didn't know if it would help or not. So I guess I will get some and take after pics.

Thanks for the info
Old 01-23-06, 10:21 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
I'm jealous of your SC4 with no TRAC
Yeah no TRAC at all on my car. Is it really that bad?
Old 01-24-06, 05:11 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Traction control isn't as desireable as it sounds; the oem system slows down the car for longer than you'd imagine to accomplish the task.
250 hp in a 3800 pound car really doesn't require traction control imo.
Old 01-24-06, 05:42 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

another thing that has been done to clean intake manifolds is to take it off of your car and dip it in a pool of CARB Cleaner. It works.
Old 01-24-06, 09:29 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
another thing that has been done to clean intake manifolds is to take it off of your car and dip it in a pool of CARB Cleaner. It works.
what about spraying with a fine mist seafoam in the TB while it is running. You know like using a squirt bottle or something of that sort. Or is that something that will kill the motor? I wouldn't think so myself as long as it is done in moderation.

Sounds like Trac Control sucks....
Old 01-25-06, 11:35 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in answer to your first question...

Chances are, your transmission fluid reads high on the stick because you didn't have the engine running in park. While the engine is running, check it both hot and cold. A cherry red color on a white rag is what your looking for.
Old 01-25-06, 12:37 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

It especially sucks if your running more power eg. nitrous.

The trac turns back on every time you turn the car on , so if you forget to turn the TRAC off again.... spray the nitrous, spin the wheels, trac engages. BOOOOOM! explosion when fuel, nitrous and air smash into the TRAC plate when it closes.
Old 01-25-06, 01:58 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tammy
in answer to your first question...

Chances are, your transmission fluid reads high on the stick because you didn't have the engine running in park. While the engine is running, check it both hot and cold. A cherry red color on a white rag is what your looking for.
I will thanks for the info. So it looked like lite cherry red to me. Close enough.