Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Transmission wont hold much fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 09:22 AM
FlyRyde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Transmission wont hold much fluid

I thought I had a bad trans, and the more I read here it sounded like it was just a bad shift solenoid. Never any leaks, nothing like that. Then out of the blue I get fluid under the car. Its red, car starts to drive like crap, falling in and out of gear at a red light like 4-5 times on average. So I figure its just that the car is way low on fluid of course. I bought 3 quarts of fluid, dump em in, no leaks, car shifts waaay faster into gear (instead of shifting into reverse, then waiting 45 seconds or so for it to finally thunk in).

I drove the car a little, seemed fine and shifted better than it ever has in the 2 months I've had it. I gassed it a little, drove great, pulled fine and gave me the best drive to work I've had with it yet.... An hour after being at the office, a guy I work with walk in, "Hey i think your car is leaking fluid in the parking lot."

Yeah like 3 quarts worth of fluid, staining everything it touched So long story short, after this happened, I leaked fluid everywhere I went, and it would start leaking only after I parked the car it seems. I think it leaks until it gets to a level where the fluid is under the level of the leaky seal or whatever, and then it has just enough fluid to drive it, just not very well.

Do I just find a lower mileage trans, or is there some 50 dollar seal I can buy, drop the pan and access from under the car on ramps? I'd like of rather put money into new seals and shift solenoids then just buying another old *** tranny to fix it. HELP!
Old 03-06-11, 12:16 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

auto pan gasket is about $10aud
use some (sparingly) Sikaflex on the top and bottom of the gasket and drain plug.

after your done going through the gears a few times stationary while your at operating temp put the trans in park and check the fluid.

if it needs more fluid stop the engine and put more in till its at the hot mark.
Old 03-06-11, 09:34 PM
FlyRyde
Driver School Candidate

I don't think its just leaking from the pan gasket, where else could it be leaking from? I can see a very small puddle of red fluid from the pan gasket, but I had a small river of tranny fluid under the car after a 25 mile drive to work. The car was parked for maybe 1 hour and about 2 full qts leaked out.

Also I didn't mention after my 25 mile drive to and from work, when im getting off on the offramp, I smell mad tranny fluid smell. Never while im driving around town, but after a decent length drive it just reeks. Its to the point that I smell like gear oil.

There's also a rattly sheet metal sound coming from the tranny that I hear when im driving around town with the windows down.
Old 03-08-11, 07:57 AM
FlyRyde
Driver School Candidate

Any other ideas about where it could be leaking from?