Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Remanufactured Starter - OK????

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 05:49 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remanufactured Starter - OK????

Well, this was not exactly the Christmas present I had in mind to give myself. The SC400 has really been dragging on the start which means new starter time. My father has some connections so labor on install is only $250 which sounds like a deal after searching. One thing I could not find is if people are OK with remanufactured starters? I definitely do not want to be going through this again a few thousand miles later. Seems like I can get reman. for approx $120-$130 shipped with 90 day warranty. Any opinions?
Old 12-21-05, 12:05 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a warranty... You should buy it if you need it. If it happens to fail just return it
Old 12-21-05, 07:21 PM
SCV8
Instructor

That install can take a while if you don't work on these cars every day; it's under the intake manifold!
I would have a very reputable rebuilder do the work, one that you know the quality of.
I had mine done over by a shop that does mostly marine and industrial engines, replaced much of the starter. I also replaced the intake manifold-plenum, head flange gaskets to prevent any small, undetectable leaks from leaning out individual cylinders and causing damage down the road.
Old 12-22-05, 06:03 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I just ordered a reman starter (Denso) about 3 minutes ago. I have a SC300 though.

The good thing is that Advanced Auto Parts has a warehouse in Temple and already have the part in stock.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning.

Anyone know how simple it is to install on an SC300? Anything I should be aware of?
Old 12-22-05, 06:09 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

SC300 is easy as pie, Ive done it about 9 times. Just gotta jack/ramp her up and use a certain combination of extensions/wobblers along with an impact wrench to get the upper bolt
Old 12-22-05, 07:30 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

honestly,
buy a reman from the dealer. if it was a sc300 & you can flip it in, in 1 hour. ya save the money.
the last landcruiser i did, i told the customer no labor warranty unless they would spend the extra for the dealer part. i have access to 3 different rebuilt product lines, some are ok some are junk. in over 20 years i havent been bit yet w/ a toyota reman. it also carries a 1 year warranty.

besides if you supply the part, i doubt the installer will replace it for free if it takes a poopoo.
then the circle of junk begins... your new starter takes a dump. you take it back & get another 1. (its under warranty) you pay again to replace it. lets say that 1 dies 93 days from now? no warranty, now what? PAY AGAIN.

just something to think about on the more expensive labor repairs.
Old 12-23-05, 03:28 PM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by supra dr
honestly,
buy a reman from the dealer. if it was a sc300 & you can flip it in, in 1 hour. ya save the money.
the last landcruiser i did, i told the customer no labor warranty unless they would spend the extra for the dealer part. i have access to 3 different rebuilt product lines, some are ok some are junk. in over 20 years i havent been bit yet w/ a toyota reman. it also carries a 1 year warranty.

besides if you supply the part, i doubt the installer will replace it for free if it takes a poopoo.
then the circle of junk begins... your new starter takes a dump. you take it back & get another 1. (its under warranty) you pay again to replace it. lets say that 1 dies 93 days from now? no warranty, now what? PAY AGAIN.

just something to think about on the more expensive labor repairs.

Hmm...where in PA do you work?! I need to know where to take my GTE sc300 for maintenance
Old 12-26-05, 12:25 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Something about remanufactred starters:
My grandma's starter on her 98 sentra broke. The shop (not her) decided to get a remanufactured one. Well, the first one took a dump. The second one didn't work at all. But the third one seems to be working.
Old 12-27-05, 12:39 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If labor is that cheap, have the same shop rebuild your own starter. I just had my starter rebuilt a couple weeks ago and I'd take the same route again if I had to.

Scott