Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C Compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 08:37 AM
tjj13401
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor question

I purchased an rebuilt compressor in May from an Ebay supplier. I wouldn't do this ordinarily, but the guy was local, and I was able to deal with him face-to-face. The compressor worked fine, but had a very annoying 'growl'. The car was in the dealership for other stuff, and they verified the compressor was "going bad". I contacted the seller, and he gave me a new rebuild, no problem.. except.. Problem! Same 'growl', maybe even worse that the first.

So to my question: Is this guy 0 for 2, or could there be another reason for this growl related to compressor install, or something else I'm missing? The original compressor I had before I started all this didn't growl. I thought it was going bad (135,000 miles on it anway), but it turned out to be my water pump making noise. I'm tired of my nice black SC sounding like a windup toy when the A/C is engaged. Yes, the noise goes away with the A/C off.

Before I go bust this guy's *****, could it remotely be anything other than the compressor? Anyone? Any thoughts?

I could always tell people the 'growl' is from my turbo if I had one....

TJ
Old 12-10-05, 10:23 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil was not adding after recycle recovery or not added to the right side so it just sat in the condensor and didnt do any good. Did you do the install yourself? You have to vaccuum down the system before you recharge aswell no air can get into the system. Which brings me to my next thought, did you replace the reciever/dryer? You should always the desicant bag in them goes bad one touching air after it has been in service and the desicant beads can break loose and run through the system.

Finally a question i can answer with the utmost confidents since i do have my ASE in a/c.....
Old 12-10-05, 12:33 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For what it's worth, my original compressor growls, too.
On any other (noisier) engine, it might not even be noticed.

It is not nearly as loud as the growl of a failing power steering pump.
Old 12-10-05, 04:05 PM
tjj13401
Rookie

Thanks for the input Twizted...

To answer your questions: I had it installed by an acquaintance who happens to be an ASE certified master mechanic. Way over my head. Yes, I replaced the drier. Splurged for the toyota one.. why? It's black, and you can see the drier through the front grill - I'm a true snobby Lexus owner. Yes, he drew vacuum on it. Now: What's this about the oil, and can it be remedied? My buddy said to give it some time to see if it 'breaks in', and if that didn't work, he had some synthetic oil that may help. So far, these 2 rebuilt compressors have set me back about $450 in install fees, driers, and freon. I'm ready to throw in the towel and buy a new one... Anyone heard of Autohaus.com?

TJ
Old 12-11-05, 12:00 AM
twizted
Instructor

Well if it wasnt sucked through then inlet side it will never make it back around to the compressor. How long has it been installed?
Old 12-11-05, 01:05 AM
blksc300mt
Driver

i got one from ebay about 8 months ago...from florida too...probably the same place yours came from. i flushed the system, installed it, put the pag oil, vacuumed the system, and charged it with 134. the compressor growled as soon as i put it in, and i was never happy with the way it worked. it growled way worse than the original compressor i had in the car, and if i revved the motor it would really sound bad. the compressor clutch on the ebay compressor also went bad after a couple of weeks...first started slipping sometimes..and then it wouldnt work anymore. it also left black crap in my system that i had to flush out when i got another compressor...i was happy to take it off. definitely a waste of money.
Old 12-11-05, 09:02 AM
tjj13401
Rookie

It's been in for about a week. I'm beginning to think I have pissed away about as much as I would have spent if I had just gone with a new one to begin with... lesson learned.

TJ
Old 12-11-05, 09:04 AM
tjj13401
Rookie

I'm not familiar enough with compressors to undertand some of what you said. Specifically, oil in the right side? This thing was sold as supposedly already having the right amount of oil on board, and none needed to be added.

TJ
Old 12-11-05, 12:33 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by blksc300mt
i got one from ebay about 8 months ago...from florida too...probably the same place yours came from. i flushed the system, installed it, put the pag oil, vacuumed the system, and charged it with 134. the compressor growled as soon as i put it in, and i was never happy with the way it worked. it growled way worse than the original compressor i had in the car, and if i revved the motor it would really sound bad. the compressor clutch on the ebay compressor also went bad after a couple of weeks...first started slipping sometimes..and then it wouldnt work anymore. it also left black crap in my system that i had to flush out when i got another compressor...i was happy to take it off. definitely a waste of money.
Black crap is a direct sign that the compressor is not getting oiled properly and the compressor is burning up. Smells real good to huh?
Old 01-07-06, 07:53 AM
TrboHead
Driver School Candidate

I'm also needing to change my compressor because it's making noise. Should I not worry about it until it goes out. I really don't want crap running threw the lines if that's what it's doing. I'm not turning on the AC right now until I fix it.

What oil should be used, Pag or Tag or what? How much. You think the rebuilders are not using the right oil or not enough? I plan on buying one and draining it and putting in the right oil.

I plan on replacing mine in the near future but wanted to do it once the right way. I've got all the tools, charging, flushing and vacume but just need a little guidance.

There are allot of crap compressors out on the market and want to stay away from them. Autozone sells one for $399, O'Rielys for $499, Pep Boys about the same. Should I go grab one out of the wrecking yard or is there a good source out there?

Lexus want's over $1000!! It's hot in Texas but I'm not paying that.
Old 02-17-06, 05:37 PM
TrboHead
Driver School Candidate

Ok I bought a nice rebuilt comressor along with a drier. I really don't want to screw it up.

What oil should I use and how much? What side do I put it in? I guess I could figure out which side is the sucker.
Old 03-05-06, 09:22 AM
TrboHead
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know the oil type?