Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: What is the largest header back single pipe a NAsc300 can handle w/ single exhaust
3" pipes, will be perfect for the aftermarket headers and hi flow cat
36.84%
2.75" pipes, bigger isn't always better
21.05%
2.5" pipes should be fine
31.58%
stick with a dual exhaust bolt on like the nur spec
10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Custon Exhaust system headers 3" pipe cat hks exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 11:25 AM
imprtLEXUS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Custon Exhaust system headers 3" pipe cat hks exhaust

I am going to remove my stock exhaust system on my sc300, from the headers back, and I went and got an estimate on the installation, can any of you guys that have had custom piping done or that does piping tell me if $550 sounds right, I mean I don't think so because the shop that gave me the price quote did a complete engine swap on my friends honda for $500. I was thinking at the most like $300 but $550

Note I am providing the headers, cat, and exhaust, all the shop is providing are the pipes, bracket hangers, and labor.

Here is exactly what I was quoted on and what i am having done,

Remove the stock exhaust system
Install the aftermarket top speed headers
create a Y pipe for a single 3" stainless pipe
install a magnaflow 3" hi flow cat
stainless pipe out on the right and angled up and out to the left
(if necessary i am having the spare tire well removed for the exhaust piping to fit
and be seen from underneath the rear not included in estimate price)
finished with a HKS 170mm HI power exhaust

Here is a pic to show what it will look like minus the fact that in the pic this car is an integra and has the i believe 120mm hks and only 2.25" pipes, but this is the exact angle i am having done.
From my research there isn't an Sc with this much of an angled exhaust because of the spare tire well not to mention my car is lowerd on espelirs so i am very low on clearance with the well there.
Attached Thumbnails Custon Exhaust system headers 3" pipe cat hks exhaust-posted.jpg  
Old 12-06-05, 01:07 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

i will be honest and say that when i installed the 3in JIC on my car i felt no difference in low end tq. Before everone says it is proven that i am wrong i will say that is what my seat-but dyno says. also i didn't realy feel any hight profound top end gain. i do know that on a dyno you might see a slight drop, maxof 5hp if that, and also any gain up top would be negligble as well(again maby 5hp). but i wil say when i stand behind the car about 6-7ft and my friend revs it to maybe 4500rpm it sure spits out alot of air that i can feel. which leads me to believe (contrary to popular opinion) that the exhaust flow might not be compramised as much as i would have originaly guessed with a 3in system. also the angle on my exhaust is pretty good, disregard the old pics i posted up a while back, i have readjusted the whole system so it no longer is visible from the side of the car (except the tip) and fits into the stock cut out very nicely. i will post new pics in a few week. oh and good luck with your exhaust sorry for the long post hope it helps.
Old 02-25-06, 06:15 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

I am in the process of getting dual HKS hi-power mufflers. I'm probably going to go with the 60mm inlet. The guy at the performance shop recommended that I go witht he smaller inlet, due to going with a dual exhaust set up. If you are going with a single exhaust set up, go with the 3in. piping and the larger muffler.
Old 04-25-06, 01:05 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only have 2JZGE in it, 3' pipe will help you LOSE the low end torque...
I have 1JZ so I went with 3' to 3 1/2 pipe, turbo doesn't need back presure...
Old 04-27-06, 04:32 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally got around to taking a (crappy) picture of my dual exhaust. Here's the setup:

3" dp/mp
no cats
custom 2.5" Y pipe
Magnaflow double offset straight through mufflers
OEM tips welded back on

This setup flowed what my sig shows at 24psi on a very conservative tune. The sound is perfect for my taste - somewhat agressive but refined at low RPMs. At high RPMs, it's awesome.

-scott
Attached Thumbnails Custon Exhaust system headers 3" pipe cat hks exhaust-magnaflow_exhaust_sc300.jpg  
Old 04-27-06, 04:41 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I voted for choice #2. Bigger isnt always better. On an NA you still need your back pressure or else you will lose some torque. Excellent choice on the HKS exhaust though.
Old 04-27-06, 05:21 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I voted for choice #2. Bigger isnt always better. On an NA you still need your back pressure or else you will lose some torque. Excellent choice on the HKS exhaust though.
Ive got a GS300, but I can comment on this. I didnt put new headers on the car because the turbo will be in sometime this year Anyway, I have 3" from headers, 3" free-flow cat, 3" to daul 2.5" y-pipe, 2.5" back to N1 mufflers. Its really loud, I dont care. I really dont feel any difference low-end, theres not much of a gain on the top end, but its there. Either way, I love the aggressiveness of my car. I would go with 3" since your gonna be single exhaust. It will def. flow better on top-end, esp. with those headers.
As for the price, the shop I went to charged me 495..removed stock exhaust, bent my pipes(they had a mandrel bender), welded everthing, labor. All I supplied was the pipes, cat, y-pipe, and mufflers. I think I got taken for a little bit, but it looks and sounds good, so I dont really care.
If you want to hear it, go the GS 1st gen and search exhaust, my thread should come up.
Old 04-28-06, 04:10 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the price for the piping is way too much. its going to run you about $50 for piping on a single exhaust and thats being stainless steel. there are only two bends that are about 20 degrees each and can be made with pie cuts (2 10degree pie cuts per bend) and then your done. for mild steel it should be about half that price. go to www.jegs.com and check out exhaust piping youll see what i mean. I bought a single 8foot tube of titanitum to run to my muffler and it only ran me $100... basically your paying for labor for your setup
Old 03-22-07, 06:13 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on a stock SC300 with just a 2JZ-GE, 2.5" pipe is probably enough. It will allow ~250hp without restriction. 3" pipe is certainly too large for your stock motor.
Old 03-25-07, 03:41 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

a single 2.5 in is more than enough anything bigger is just stupid on an na sc300 even with every NA bolt on imaginable
Old 04-06-07, 09:25 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Finally got around to taking a (crappy) picture of my dual exhaust. Here's the setup:

3" dp/mp
no cats
custom 2.5" Y pipe
Magnaflow double offset straight through mufflers
OEM tips welded back on

This setup flowed what my sig shows at 24psi on a very conservative tune. The sound is perfect for my taste - somewhat agressive but refined at low RPMs. At high RPMs, it's awesome.

-scott
ok, i know this is an old post
but, by chance do you remember what you had to buy after the 2.5" Y pipe

thanks

Last edited by dumdumgreg; 04-06-07 at 10:10 PM.