Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weird problem with the sc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 03:19 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem with the sc...

I just changed my serpentine belt not too long ago... Car was running fine for a while... Lately, while the car is running and i'm going at a low speed, it just shuts off on its own... sometimes, it jerks at low speeds.... At first i was thinking, it was a fuel problem so i used one of the fuel cleaner things.. but now i dont know.
I drove the car fine to work and back today, it was driving fine... i parked the car for about 2 hours and then went back to start up the car... It starts right up and then starts revving to 2000 rpm back and forth on its own before shutting off... I start it again two more times and it does the exact same thing two more times.. The steering feels really light.. Any ideas what this might be? I've kept up with the maintenance but the car does have 180k on it.. i dont know what else to think.. The clutch feels fine also.. There are no check engine lights either...
Old 11-29-05, 05:19 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chidoks
I just changed my serpentine belt not too long ago... Car was running fine for a while... Lately, while the car is running and i'm going at a low speed, it just shuts off on its own... sometimes, it jerks at low speeds.... At first i was thinking, it was a fuel problem so i used one of the fuel cleaner things.. but now i dont know.
I drove the car fine to work and back today, it was driving fine... i parked the car for about 2 hours and then went back to start up the car... It starts right up and then starts revving to 2000 rpm back and forth on its own before shutting off... I start it again two more times and it does the exact same thing two more times.. The steering feels really light.. Any ideas what this might be? I've kept up with the maintenance but the car does have 180k on it.. i dont know what else to think.. The clutch feels fine also.. There are no check engine lights either...
Judging by your 2nd to last sentence, I assume it's a 5-speed SC300?

I don't know about the 300s, but in some SC400s, the power steering pump leaks onto alternator. If the 300 has a similar problem, the PS pump might be the reason for the steering feeling odd and the defective alternator might have something to do with the odd driving characteristics.

I'm not too mechanically inclined, but this was just something that jumped at me when you mentioned your steering.

You also mentioned that the car jerks. I'm having a similar problem in my '95 SC400 which may be related. See my thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187625

Hope I could have been any help.
Old 11-29-05, 05:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Please post engine related topics in the engine forum
Old 11-29-05, 07:21 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

someone on supraforums thinks it might be the idle control valve... i dont think its the alternator because i still have power.. the crazy thing is i dont have any codes
Old 12-01-05, 04:42 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

would the iac sensor throw a code if its bad?