Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I dropped my girl off at the dealer tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 09:14 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So I dropped my girl off at the dealer tonight...

For all of the SC400 owners who have experienced the common 'shuddering' on a 43 MPH roll and haven't yet had it checked out, mine is being looked at this week.

We think it might be the torque converter, but I'm not positive on that.

If we're able to find this problem, among the few other things I'm having check out, I'll update this to let everyone know. Hopefully this will be able to clear up any questions some of us have about the tranny shuddering.

-G.A.
Old 11-15-05, 09:31 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you also have the hesitation/buck from a stop? mine has the same 43 mph shudder too,
Old 11-16-05, 03:38 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by cal9126
Do you also have the hesitation/buck from a stop? mine has the same 43 mph shudder too,
Yup, I have the hesitation.
Old 11-16-05, 06:03 AM
weekenduse
Rookie

Awesome. Hopefully the techs. can come to a conclusion on this age long question with a definite answer. Seriously. (yeah, I know, it's a long shot.)
Old 11-16-05, 06:10 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just playing devils advocate here, but you guys did change the tranny fluid and use Toyota Type IV correct? Improper transmission fluid is commonly the cause of tranny shudder.
Old 11-16-05, 11:36 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Just playing devils advocate here, but you guys did change the tranny fluid and use Toyota Type IV correct? Improper transmission fluid is commonly the cause of tranny shudder.

I don't have the time to do it, but flushing the tranny fluid has been on my mind for quite a while. If the dealership finds out that it's what's causing the problems, then I guess I'll just be paying for the flush. Plus the diagnostic. Hopefully, my extended 3rd party warranty will cover it. It's supposed to cover anything in the drivetrain.

BTW, when I pulled into the dealership around 10 o'clock last night, they were unloading all the brand new GS' and IS'. Kind of cool to see them all, still with the wheels and certain body parts plastic wrapped.
Old 11-16-05, 01:21 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 43 MPH is the torque converter... I had that problem, and resolved it back in 2002... I'm sure there's a thread or two floating around about it.

Simply flushing the tranny should fix the problem. If that doesn't, you may need a new torque converter.

Back when I had access to the TIS (Toyota Information System) I found that around 43 MPH the torque converter locks up, which seems to be the cause of the problem.

Additionally, you're supposed to service the ATF on the SC400 every 15,000 miles. Look in your owner's manual.

John
Old 11-21-05, 06:04 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

SupraCoup3,

That's what I thought it was too. However, I called Lexus today to check on my car's progress, and they're telling me it's due to a problem with my EGR system. They want me to pay $800 for a new system, which for some reason, my extended drivetrain warranty won't cover. In addition to that, they want $300 more for a negative battery cable. It's a bolt on one end, and connects to the battery on the other. :Sigh: It's a Lexus. I expected repair costs would be expensive, despite the fact that the car really wasn't.

What I want to know is, how the hell does the EGR system affect the transmission shuddering?

Am I simply being bent over by the dealer? Would it be worth it for me to just pay them for running the diagnostics, and then just doing my own tranny flush to find the problem?

I did a few searches on the EGR system, and most of what I found was about people having issues with their 2JZ-GEs and GTEs. Not much for the 400.

By the way, the car has never thrown a CEL.
Old 11-21-05, 06:14 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
SupraCoup3,

That's what I thought it was too. However, I called Lexus today to check on my car's progress, and they're telling me it's due to a problem with my EGR system. They want me to pay $800 for a new system, which for some reason, my extended drivetrain warranty won't cover. In addition to that, they want $300 more for a negative battery cable. It's a bolt on one end, and connects to the battery on the other. :Sigh: It's a Lexus. I expected repair costs would be expensive, despite the fact that the car really wasn't.

What I want to know is, how the hell does the EGR system affect the transmission shuddering?

Am I simply being bent over by the dealer? Would it be worth it for me to just pay them for running the diagnostics, and then just doing my own tranny flush to find the problem?

I did a few searches on the EGR system, and most of what I found was about people having issues with their 2JZ-GEs and GTEs. Not much for the 400.

By the way, the car has never thrown a CEL.
$800 for the EGR is A LOT cheaper than the cost of a new transmission. Of course $800 is still a hefty chunk of change. However, if after the EGR was replaced and the issue still existed - the dealer should stand behind their work and be liable for locating the actual problem. Talk it over with them and see what they say.
Old 11-21-05, 06:17 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Nomis
$800 for the EGR is A LOT cheaper than the cost of a new transmission. Of course $800 is still a hefty chunk of change. However, if after the EGR was replaced and the issue still existed - the dealer should stand behind their work and be liable for locating the actual problem. Talk it over with them and see what they say.
I understand this, but I still don't get how the Exhaust Gas Return system has anything to do with my transmission shuddering.

Does/did your '95 400 have the same problem?
Old 11-21-05, 06:19 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah $800 is alot cheaper than a new torque converter and install. I can't imagine how much that would cost from the dealership. I think it would be better to do this and see if it fixes the problem. If it does then you won't have to pay the hefty price on the TCand install. O and if TC is the problem then just buy an upgraded one with a higher stall, so you can help your 0-60 times out.
Old 11-21-05, 06:22 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Yeah $800 is alot cheaper than a new torque converter and install. I can't imagine how much that would cost from the dealership. I think it would be better to do this and see if it fixes the problem. If it does then you won't have to pay the hefty price on the tc and install.
Yeah, but still, how does the EGR system affect my torque convertor?

Hell, I could just use this time to put in a JPI unit, since my bull ish warranty company probably won't cover a factory TC either. I can just find a way to suck in the money it'll take.
Old 11-21-05, 06:24 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I am not sure how the EGR is the problem either.
Old 11-21-05, 06:58 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Hell, I could just use this time to put in a JPI unit, since my bull ish warranty company probably won't cover a factory TC either. I can just find a way to suck in the money it'll take.
Your mechanic is perhaps the most qualified to answer this question. I do know that the EGR has been mentioned in various threads regarding hesitation - I just did a quick search. I'm not sure as to the correlation between the EGR and the trans shudder. I guess an off idle hesitation could be caused by a bad EGR - if it were too far open when it shouldn't be - it could throw off the engine vacuum.
Ask your Lexus certified mechanic and report back with his explanation. And here's a tip - the Service Writer, which is who you most likely spoke with over the phone - Doesn't know Jack poop about cars most likely, they are just the friendly face at the counter. If you swing by the dealer you should be able to speak with the Tech directly and get some good info.
Old 11-21-05, 07:02 PM
deruvian
Driver

Call a different Lexus dealer/proficient Toyota repair shop and ask them what they think of the diagnosis. They should be able to readily tell you why this would be the cause of the issue.

I can't really even begin to pull some crazy idea out of my ***... Maybe the EGR is staying open all the time (or closed for that matter) and bogging down the engine? It's a REAL far shot, but I think they may be trying to take you for a ride.

Quick Reply: So I dropped my girl off at the dealer tonight...